Insignia eyelets in Collar of Service Coat??

Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

Were any 4 pocket wool Service Coats made with 4 eyelets/grommets on the upper and lower lapels of the collar in order to fascilitate the wear of screwback insignia?

If so, were they made by the QM Depots or also by civilian wartime contractors? When were they omitted?

Any examples to illustrate Date of Manufacture/Contract and Mfr???

Thanks,

Johan

I have one with an aaf patch and an aaf overseas cap that I think I got somewhere else, the jacket is difficult to get at right now but I will try to locate it next weekend.

None of my four pocket tunics have four eyelets for screw back insignia. I have multiples with two eyelets. One of these tunics have screw back DIs ... the vet used the upper eyelets for the DIs, and put clutchback US and branch insignia on the lower collar.

Tim

Johan

I've had several over the years and have never seen 4 grommets, always just the two on the uppers. It would be interesting to see one if they exist? think.gif

Can anyone here provide a pic?

Johan Willaert

Thanks, would the jacket issued with the eyelets have been manufactured by a contractor or rather by a QM Depot that made many uniforms pre- and early in WW2?

Yes, sometimes coats are found with either two or four grommets as you describe. Some time back I looked at my copies of the Specifications, and no grommets are specified. I believe that soldiers had these added at off-post sew shops or had their own grommet-making tools.

G

Johan Willaert

Thanks again, the reason I asked because I came across this picture on the internet. It was taken last Memorial Day in Holland.

Look at the collar lapels?

margra13.jpg

I have one that has the for eyelets on the lapels. It was also button holed for the four main buttons. I will get a picture and post it. If I remember correctly it has a mid war pattern date.

Chris

My collection has two enlisted jackets with insignia eyelets.

A "Phila Quartermaster Depot" tagged and dated May 21 1935. Eyelets are on the top most lapels - both sides.

The second 4 pocket has 4 eyelets as pictured and worn by the reenactor in this string.

Data tag reads:

"Park Dale Clothes, Inc

Cont, W-669-qm-10386

Dated Dec. 19,1940

Stock No. 55-C-69431

40 STUB

Spec. No. 8-31D

Dated 2/7/40

Phila Q.M. Depot"

The uniqueness of the jacket is not the 4 eyelets. Where the buttons would be sewn are grommets (even at the shoulders). The loops on the back of the buttons fit through the grommets and metal rings, much like a key ring, fasten all buttons.

Ellis

This was not uncommon. Soldiers often had their buttons made removeable to make polishing easier. It is also not uncommon to see the M1912 buttons with the lined background replaces by the M1902 type with the unlined -- the latter shine better.

G

I don't have any pics, but I't got a EM 4-pocket with 2 sets of metal grommets, and a tailored officer 4-pocket service coat with 2 sets of sewn eylets, each set having 2 openings, for putting officer insignia through. As to the former, when I bought it, the seller told me it was a modification, rather than an issue attribute.

Here is the uniform I have. It has also been button holed for the main buttons. The post on the US disc is bent, so I left it alone. It has a 1940 pattern date.

post-3094-1244816973.jpg

I have one too, it has a 28th ID patch on it, couldn't read the label anymore

sl701768.th.jpg

The model is a bit diffrent then the standard service coat. It has a piece of felt stitched in the neck and the shoulder straps end with an kind of point at the end.