A good weekend find

mattdus

I didn't have much to do this past Friday so I decided to go check out a antique shop I had passed a couple weeks ago. The only thing I found was an army field desk. I haven't seen one before so I wasn't really sure what a reasonable price was but I figured it was in good shape and I would take a chance on it. the only problem's with it are the plastic drawer pulls are broken (what do you expect from 67 year old plastic) and no keys for lock. what is a fair price for one of these?

fielddesk.jpg

fielddesk2.jpg

fielddesk4.jpg

Thanks, I think I did ok at $75 then. I spent a little time finding a spot for it and will use it kind of like a display shelf for the time being.

HPIM0668.jpg

$75.00 was a very good price when you factor in that your find is in very good condition. I've seen junk sell for more than what you paid for this one. Great Pick-up! thumbsup.gif

I am known for being rather cheap and if it had been in even slightly worse shape I likely would not have even spent as much as I did. I cant get past wanting to pay the prices of 20 years ago. Although after looking at other posts on this forum I would have probably gone back hoping it was still there.

You lucky devil! I've been wanting one of those for so long! One of the forum members wanted to get rid of two of 'em a while back, but never even gave me the courtesy of responding to my querry.

Good job and thanks for sharing!

G

You can often find replacement keys by getting the code off the lock. There are several eBay sellers who have large stocks of replacement keys -- I've found keys for two field desks this way.

Bill

General Apathy
the only problem's with it are the plastic drawer pulls are broken (what do you expect from 67 year old plastic) and no keys for lock. what is a fair price for one of these?

Hi Mattdus, These trunks were made by a variety of manufacturers some used the ' plastic ' type pulls you have others used brass or steel. These brass ring pulls are still available in some American hardware stores and such.

I have added a link to a trunk suppliers who stock all the various pieces you might need including, leather side handles locks and keys etc, I think there's a section on their site for helping you with lost keys. A Very nice site, run by decent and helpful people I believe.

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/howto/parts/

Hope this helps.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi Mattdus, These trunks were made by a variety of manufacturers some used the ' plastic ' type pulls you have others used brass or steel. These brass ring pulls are still available in some American hardware stores and such.

I have added a link to a trunk suppliers who stock all the various pieces you might need including, leather side handles locks and keys etc, I think there's a section on their site for helping you with lost keys. A Very nice site, run by decent and helpful people I believe.

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/howto/parts/

Hope this helps.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Thanks, they don't list the key I need but I will email them soon. I have seen the brass pulls but I haven't decided if I want to replace the original ones with a different type. Thanks again, the link is really appreciated

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, they don't list the key I need but I will email them soon. I have seen the brass pulls but I haven't decided if I want to replace the original ones with a different type. Thanks again, the link is really appreciated

I know I am coming in way late on this, but just in case here is a link also to where I got my brass pulls.

Mine were missing all together.

http://www.vandykes.com/product/cl150017/b...sh-ring-pull-2-

Fit like a charm. :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

My field desk, in army green (but labeled USN) has a Yale lock. The only markings are "B2". Is that the key blank number? Any idea where I can pick up a key for this desk?

My field desk, in army green (but labeled USN) has a Yale lock. The only markings are "B2". Is that the key blank number? Any idea where I can pick up a key for this desk?
A good locksmith, one that has his own shop, not Lowes Hardware, will sometimes have keys for these types of locks.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...