U.S. Wooden Bunk Beds, 1942

riverok

For those who are interested, I finally got one set of the U.S. wooden bunk beds assembled. It was a challenge due to never seeing these before and because of the "mud dobbers" that filled up the holes for the bolts holding the beds together. These beds are marked W199OM38863, 9/23/42, Southern Furniture MFG Co. and MOUNT ARY FURNITURE CO. 9/28/42.

I believe the beds are from the German POW camp at Camp Gruber, Oklahoma which is near Muskogee, Oklahoma. They were used for years at a friend's ranch house near Tahlequah, Oklahoma.

I hope this information and photos is of some value to you.

Riverok

post-5625-1243680374.jpg

post-5625-1243680414.jpg

This view is of the same barrack. The former prisoners I interviewed said this was the original layout of the beds. The men got permission from camp officials to make bunks out of them creating more open space at one end of the building. They were then able to bring in ping-pong tables and other tables for card playing, games, etc.

I would love to have some detailed photos and measurements of these beds. I hope some time to do a scale model of the barrack but I was never sure of the beds were manufactured or constructed along with the building itself. I have copies of plans for similar beds but they differ in some details. Now I know why!

Thanks for sharing!

post-211-1243690902.jpg

The Camp Algona POW museum here locally has a set of bunks on display like yours.I would think they would be a little difficult to find.Thanks for posting

RD

A set of these turned up at my museum a few months ago - unfortunately, if I'm not there, who ever is working there will take stuff and not write anything down....guess I could work on a barracks room display with them.....

Mark sends

Thanks for the great photos of the beds at Camp Clinton. I will be pleased to provide additional photos and measurements of these beds to anyone interested.

Riverok

Oklahoma

This view is of the same barrack. The former prisoners I interviewed said this was the original layout of the beds. The men got permission from camp officials to make bunks out of them creating more open space at one end of the building. They were then able to bring in ping-pong tables and other tables for card playing, games, etc.

I would love to have some detailed photos and measurements of these beds. I hope some time to do a scale model of the barrack but I was never sure of the beds were manufactured or constructed along with the building itself. I have copies of plans for similar beds but they differ in some details. Now I know why!

Thanks for sharing!

post-211-1243690902.jpg

• 4 years later...

Nice post - I have a single bunk just like the ones pictured - Nice 1942 date and contract markings on the underside and "US" marked on the upper head board. Mine is unpainted, dark wood.

Best,

Bill K.

I saw a set at Iola Wisconsin last year.Both were dated 42 and were priced cheap.Had no way to haul them.This year we had a trailer...go figure.

I have seen a couple pop up on craigs list as well.

Saw one at Battlefield Bobs show a couple weeks ago.One of our forum members had it.

We have early WW2 dated beds in our storage area at my work. Metal with nice clear dates stamped in them. For sale if anyones interested.

My picker brought me one of these beds recently. There's a good chance that it came out of POW Camp Como. A camp nearby where I live. It's in great shape structurally but needs a re-paint.

Ronnie

• 2 months later...

Great thread. Does any one have or know of a source for bunk bed or cot mattresses? Have a metal frame bunk bed that I need a mattress for. Any leads great;y appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

i have a set of these bunk beds as well. They've been in my family since 1948ish and I managed to rescue them from my grandparents garage. Unfortunately the bolts that hold them together got lost in one of my moves. Is there anyone here that can provide me with some information so I can try to find something to use as a replacement.

I know this is an old post but I'm hoping someone out there has the info I'm looking for.

Thanks

The bolts that hold my bunk bed together are 3/8 " dia by 7" long, not including the bolt head. The bolt head is 1/2" square. The end of the bolt is pointed about the last 1/2". Don't think the point is critical, just makes it easier to get centered when starting it.

I don't know how to size the threads, but it's the same thread as used on standard galvanized chain link fence hardware. I'd call it a coarse thread.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Steve T

Thanks for the help. I knew the bolts had a square head and were pointed I just didn't know the overall length or diameter.

Steve, what do you use for a mattress?

According to QM 3-3, page 2, you need 4 x 'Bolt, machine, steel, NCTS, square head, without nut, tapered point, black, 3/8 x 7" (Stockno. 43-B-21200).