HBT Shirt Question

Has anyone seen this style of HBT shirt before? It is unmarked and may well be tailor made.

HBT_shirt.JPG

View of the construction showing the pockets and lack of epaulets. Perhaps an example of the post 1942 Officer shirt?

HBT_shirt_shoulders.JPG

Closeup view of the fine Herring Bone Twill material.

HBT_shirt_collar.JPG

Thanks for looking. :)

Sarge, that might be a WAC HBT shirt.They look very similar but I do not recall the details at the moment to be sure.

craig_pickrall

It appears the button are on the right so that says male. The pocket flaps are EM style rather than officer so that accounts for no epaulets.

Is there any indication this shirt may be from a foreign military? What about buttons?

It buttons like a man's shirt. Is it tan or green it is hard to tell from the pictures? Also keep in mind the the US Military dose not have a monopoly on HBT material, it may be a civilian work shirt or from a foreign country.

It buttons like a man's shirt. Is it tan or green it is hard to tell from the pictures? Also keep in mind the the US Military dose not have a monopoly on HBT material, it may be a civilian work shirt or from a foreign country.

The shirt is a man's shirt and it is tan or khaki in color. I suspect it might be an enlisted man's shirt as the laundry mark is "G9916" in the tail and the yoke. Here is the large laundry mark on the inside shirt tail.

HBT_shirt_laundry_mark.JPG

This same laundry mark is found on the inside of the yoke but in a smaller stamp. You will notice the rows of stitching on the shirt collar and no label. The rubber stamp design marking on the yoke is unknown to me. I have no idea what it indicates.

HBT_shirt_markings.JPG

I am open to ideas but the shirt does appear to be US military due to the laundry markings.

You are right it does look to be US Military. I have seen overseas hats made of HBT material, I would guess some manufacturer used HBT material to make the Khaki uniforms. Possibly private purchase or maybe the government accepted them because there was a war on and they needed them

General Apathy

Hello Sarge, looking at the shirt design I would say it was private purchase, possibly the owner got his hands on a length of HBT and had a tailor make it up for him. I have a length of khaki chino material belonging to a WWII officer for him to have made up into a uniform, but for some reason it never was, it still has an address label with all his details on.

Your shirt is not exact in it's closeness to U.S. military specifications, from the photo I think the collar looks a liitle long in the points.

The large ' X ' I see as being an indelible ink stamp put into clothing or equipment during inspection for re-issueing, this means that it does not meet U.S. military standards, and was not to be used. Most people will never see items with this stamping in as the items were disposed of.

More commonly seen however will be ' CS ' for combat servicable, meaning it had been used but was still fit for re-issueing to troops.

Hope this helps. Cheers ( Lewis )

Did British KD's[khaki drill] ever get issued to U.S Army in the MTO?,Not as cool with it being made of HBT as a chino shirt i would say,Nice item though :D .

Dave.

Here is a khaki overseas hat made of HBT material and oddly enough it is Marine HBT but the hat obviously isn't. The hat has no marking of any kind. I think it is just a matter of some manufacturer substitute HBT for the chino or twill the specs called for.

post-55-1176657224.jpg

Thanks gents for the information! This shirt has always been an odd-ball clothing item, but I kind of like odd-ball stuff. I had not considered that the X stamp might have been a condemnation stamp as I have never seen one, except for the "C" stamp on old bayonets and such.

Thanks gents for the information! This shirt has always been an odd-ball clothing item, but I kind of like odd-ball stuff. I had not considered that the X stamp might have been a condemnation stamp as I have never seen one, except for the "C" stamp on old bayonets and such.

Going back to the overseas cap. somewhere I have another -- clearly made from recycled HBT shirt (You can see where a pocket was removed!) I believe mine was made during the occupation period -- perhaps for foreign workers orfor disciplinary barracks inmates.

I will see if I can find it.

• 3 weeks later...
General Apathy

post-344-1178319528.jpgpost-344-1178319499.jpg

Hi Sarge, Having discussed in earlier posts the inked stamping inside your posted shirt. I finally found a couple of items out of my collection that have both been stamped up with the inked Class ' X ' stamp for disposal.

Both are Daisy Mae's, the summer khaki chino one has a large black ' X ' in the inside centre of the hat, the o.d. HBT cap has been stamped once with ' C.S. ' and then over stamped with the ' X '. for disposal. I hope both of these are clear enough to be seen.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Lewis,

Thanks for the photos. Your markings are both clearly an "X" on both caps. Mine looks more like a design than a heavy duty X mark but I guess we will never know.

At least now I know what the condemned marking looks like.

General Apathy

Hi Sarge, I think if you notice the ' X ' stamp on my two hats are a different size and design, along with your design it may elude to these stamps being local made to wherever the clothing inspection units were set up, just a theory.

Or yours and the one on my HBT cap look like rubber stamps, and the large black one on my chino could have been a stencil that they painted of inked through.

Cheers ( Lewis )

craig_pickrall

I don't think anyone has made a comment about why these clothing items were marked as disposal items. I assume it is still being done today, I know that they were still marked just a few years ago. It was to prevent GI's from picking these worn out / damaged items on the cheap and then turing them in to the QM for a new "free" issue.