S.S. Ltd Jump wing

I have no secret hand shake or knock and am no member of the secret society but I hope to get some info.........

I have this wing and cannot find much about S.S. Ltd to have something to compare it to. What are your thoughts???

post-1535-1243654177.jpg

Image #2 The amber spot just something stuck to the wing. Most likely from what I had in my shirt pocket

post-1535-1243654371.jpg

Looks good. It is made by SS Limited of Birmingham England and is considered pretty darn rare. They also made some very nice enlisted collar discs and some other insignia as well. Nice piece!

I wouldn't worry too much about knowing the secret handshake. I think that may be a requirement on a different forum.

I believe S&S stood for Simpson and Sons, though I can't pull up anything that nails the name down as such. The wing appears to be a nice, original.

Allan

.......It is made by SS Limited of Birmingham England and is considered pretty darn rare.........

Must be rare as I have not seen or had the opportunity to purchase this maker in the 20+ years I have been collecting!

Allan,

From what I can find, S.S. Ltd. is actually Simon and Sons, Ltd.

think.gif So what is this thing worth? think.gif

I have to tell you that it was the most expensive jump wing I have ever purchased but that aint saying much because when I started buying them they were $15 USD! thumbsup.gif

Must be rare as I have not seen or had the opportunity to purchase this maker in the 20+ years I have been collecting!

Allan,

think.gif So what is this thing worth? think.gif

I have to tell you that it was the most expensive jump wing I have ever purchased but that aint saying much because when I started buying them they were $15 USD! thumbsup.gif

I would probably classify S&S Ltd as scarce, though relative rarity is sometimes a result of what you find out there as opposed to how many were made. I would classify it as more scarce than Gaunt, Firmin or Ludlow, though not as tough to find as a Thomas Fattorini marked jump wing.

I know there was a US maker E.H. Simon and I believe that I have seen a marking of Simon & Sons on WWII era insignia. Any idea where in England the firm of Simon and Sons was located? Perhaps Birmingham? Perhaps it is the same company as the US based company?

I can empathize on the drastic increase of prices as I have been collecting jump wings for at least the last 25 years.

Allan

Looks good. It is made by SS Limited of Birmingham England and is considered pretty darn rare. They also made some very nice enlisted collar discs and some other insignia as well. Nice piece!

Thanks Gary! Do you have any additional info on the maker?? I cannot seem to locate anything.

Allan,

Thanks to you too for the input, I appreciate it!

• 1 month later...
FrankEaton01

Here's a set that I used to own. They were pinned onto a VFW cap along with a CIB, 82nd A/B patch, and some ribbon bars, all for $20.

ddad5569.jpg

8fa00ed4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Allan,

:think: So what is this thing worth? :think:

I have to tell you that it was the most expensive jump wing I have ever purchased but that aint saying much because when I started buying them they were $15 USD! :thumbsup:

hi could s&s be spink and son they are a british manufacturer of medals and insignia simon and sons are an american manufacturer just a thought

hi could s&s be spink and son they are a british manufacturer of medals and insignia simon and sons are an american manufacturer just a thought

Good question! Any reference made to this hallmark on this site has been that it is Simon & Sons of Birmingham. :think:

• 1 year later...
General Apathy

post-344-1292266948.jpg

Thanks for the info guys.

Some place here I have an S&S LTD collar disc.

Terry

Here are four of my S & S Ltd collar discs, never been able to positively i.d. the maker.

lewis

• 2 weeks later...