Rhood

Hickok Pistol Lanyard

As I mentioned, each original lanyard may have different types of thread on it and/or different sewing patterns made by different sewing machines on it. The only reason I can think of for this was that the production of the lanyards may have been passed to different sewers as it was being assembled.

Here's one I had were you can see the difference in the sewing pattern between the three lines of thread made by different sewing machines. Ray

1zpgy00.jpg

donation2008.gif

Just for infomation, about five years ago I bought eight, (8), original unused original 1917 lanyards. You still see a lot of these 1917 lanyards for sale that are still in mint condtion, so mint items are still out there and these lanyards are much older then the WWII ones. I don't believe that lanyards were used a lot and probably the reason why you see so many unused ones around.

I agree. Unissued...unused lanyards do exist since they didn't get used much. But unissued does not necessarily mean mint. After 66 years I would expect to see some signs of aging and storage wear, especially to the leather.

Greg Robinson "marine-kabar"

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106069-rip-greg-robinson/

I agree. Unissued...unused lanyards do exist since they didn't get used much. But unissued does not necessarily mean mint. After 66 years I would expect to see some signs of aging and storage wear, especially to the leather.

Greg in my experience I've seen some WWII leather items that look like they were made yesterday with no aging or storage wear. A lot of surplus items were packaged/wrapped up or re-packaged and/or were stored in sealed heavy paper or bags. I've seen "mint" looking holsters, M1 carbine scabbards etc. Don't see why lanyards couldn't have been stored the same. I'm not confirming the eBay lanyard is original or it is one that was stored but it does happen that there are some mint looking leather from 60 plus yrs ago. Ray

donation2008.gif

Yep definately depends on storage and packing, that's the main factor. Will be able to tell instantly when in hand i presume.

If you can read this, thank a teacher, and, since it's in English, thank a soldier.

- Anonymous

Dedicated to the hard core.

Yep definately depends on storage and packing, that's the main factor. Will be able to tell instantly when in hand i presume.

I hope it turns out to be legit....if so it was a nice pick up. But if the market gets flooded with those and they turn out to be high grade repros then it's going to kill the value of all of them.

Greg Robinson "marine-kabar"

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106069-rip-greg-robinson/

Well Here it is looks original to me and a good deal too. thumbsup.gif

IMG_3574.jpg

IMG_3573.jpg

IMG_3575.jpg

IMG_3571.jpg

Nice! Great buy, they usually sell for about $100 -$125 at shows where you can handle them and determine originality. Folks are generally reluctant to buy one on eBay because of the repros. You took a chance and won, congratulations, Ray

donation2008.gif

Sweet, looks great to me, much older look in hand than the ebay photos would lead us to believe. If mine looks as good as that i'll be stoked :) I'll prob have to wait a couple more days for the overseas shipping, but will be good to compare :)

If you can read this, thank a teacher, and, since it's in English, thank a soldier.

- Anonymous

I got mine yesterday, will post some pics when i get my sister's camera back, as mine has crapped itself.... again.

Pretty much the same as yours Rhood, nice condition, little differences. I found the rope part of the lanyard pretty stiff. It's a thicker material than i anticipated, any suggestions on how to loosen it up a bit? I tried gently bending it in alternating directions while sitting in front of the heater (it's winter here) and that worked pretty well, softened up a little bit, but it was hard work!

- Anonymous

For future reference here's mine. Got the camera long enough to snap a few quick pics.

Any insight to help soften up the rope, or am i just being overly pedantic?

post-3398-1244821717.jpg

post-3398-1244821694.jpg

- Anonymous

post-3398-1244821770.jpg

post-3398-1244821762.jpg

- Anonymous

post-3398-1244821828.jpg

- Anonymous

Gentlemen:

I am resurrecting this old thread to post these pics obtained from another Forum showing the original packaging for the Hickok lanyards and illustrating an original. This will allow one to compare the markings on other examples to this known original. (Photo credit to Steve1987. Thanks, Steve.)

Lanyard M1 Hickok Packaging credit Steve1987.jpg

Lanyard M1 Hickok credit Steve1987.jpg

Regards.

Charlie

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.