Jungle Boots

adamoi1984

adamoi1984

I keep seeing those cheapie jungle boots for around 19.99 to 30 bucks. Im going for a Vietnam impression so i need to get a pair. Any Ideas? How do the more expensive Altima ones hold up?

I keep seeing those cheapie jungle boots for around 19.99 to 30 bucks. Im going for a Vietnam impression so i need to get a pair. Any Ideas? How do the more expensive Altima ones hold up?

Wellco is the way to go:

http://wellco.biz/

or:

http://store.colemans.com/cart/us-jungle-b...sue-p-2134.html

http://store.colemans.com/cart/jungle-boot...pec-p-1115.html

the cheapie imported ones will work fine for reenacting / impressions , but you will need to get them wet and dirty to make them look authentic

I had a pair of imported jungle boots and the black finish wore off after a while and they looked just like VN used boots and the canvas was faded from constant wet / dry wearing.

I use to go for walks around the river bottoms and walk through sand, water, gravel , all the time and it wore the black finish on the leather.

adamoi1984
the cheapie imported ones will work fine for reenacting / impressions , but you will need to get them wet and dirty to make them look authentic

I had a pair of imported jungle boots and the black finish wore off after a while and they looked just like VN used boots and the canvas was faded from constant wet / dry wearing.

I use to go for walks around the river bottoms and walk through sand, water, gravel , all the time and it wore the black finish on the leather.

Ive heard stories of them falling apart or rotting rather quickly, what life expectancy can i get out of a pair of cheapies?

Ive heard stories of them falling apart or rotting rather quickly, what life expectancy can i get out of a pair of cheapies?

yes, it's true they wear out quickly and are made of lower quality materials, they will last a year or so if you wear them regularly.

better to get the real deal if you want them to last a while

adamoi1984
yes, it's true they wear out quickly and are made of lower quality materials, they will last a year or so if you wear them regularly.

better to get the real deal if you want them to last a while

Thats true. I may have to pick up a welco pair.

Bob Hudson

These days you can buy a pair of the real thing for that price.

What size are you looking for?

I have a about 3-4 new pairs of boot and a couple pairs of used

I think they all are 8 1/2-9

Matt

m1ashooter

Run away as fast as you can from the cheap boots. I've worn out 4 pairs of GI issue since 1974. My current boots where issued to me in 1990 and still going strong. Buy GI.

adamoi1984
What size are you looking for?

I have a about 3-4 new pairs of boot and a couple pairs of used

I think they all are 8 1/2-9

Matt

Im a 91/2 or a 10.

Have you tried Omahas?.Just search them and they pop up.Several types of boots for the budget.I think they have some WELCOs for around $30 with the panama sole.A lot of the on line Mil Surp places have them too.Also ebay tends to have a lot...even originals.I have a set of originals that I got pretty cheap but they were an odd large size.Looks good in displays.

RD

Are there any thrift stores or flea markets in your area? If you don't need the boots ASAP, thrift stores are a good place to look. They do still turn up pretty frequently and generally in "human" sizes (8, 9, 10, 11), and are usually pretty cheap. My last pair were from a flea market, size 6, new with all the tags still on them, for under $10.

The cheap ones they sell at Sunny's Surplus and similar stores are, in my experience, a waste of money. You can tell they're not "real" jungle boots by looking at them, and they don't hold up to much. They're also not nearly as comfortable.

adamoi1984
Are there any thrift stores or flea markets in your area? If you don't need the boots ASAP, thrift stores are a good place to look. They do still turn up pretty frequently and generally in "human" sizes (8, 9, 10, 11), and are usually pretty cheap. My last pair were from a flea market, size 6, new with all the tags still on them, for under $10.

The cheap ones they sell at Sunny's Surplus and similar stores are, in my experience, a waste of money. You can tell they're not "real" jungle boots by looking at them, and they don't hold up to much. They're also not nearly as comfortable.

Im sure there are, Im back in VA now, so, I'm going to have to head to Norfolk and Portsmith soon and check out some of the thrift/surplus stores in the area. You dont tend to find much around Richmond though.

Bob Hudson
Im sure there are, Im back in VA now, so, I'm going to have to head to Norfolk and Portsmith soon and check out some of the thrift/surplus stores in the area. You dont tend to find much around Richmond though.

As I said above, forget the repros - just go to ebay and get yourself a pair of the real ones. Here's just a sample of what people have been paying recently (completed sales in green - ones that did not sell in red).

boots.jpg

Unless you have an XN foot, you can expect to pay retail.

For the most authentic 'Nam jungle boot, look at the ones on www.mooremilitaria.com under "Quartermaster".

Altamas are nice. My Wellcos don't fit right - lots of heel slippage.

Bob Hudson
Unless you have an XN foot, you can expect to pay retail.

Here's the original issue Vietnam jungle boots I've sold in the last year with their actual sales prices. Once in a while a pair sells quite high, but overall prices are so low that's it's hardly worth listing them. One of our local thrift stores has a mint pair - I think 9R - for $24, which is about twice what they usually sell them for, but I won't bother getting them since they'd probably only sell for $35 or so.

10W 1969 price:$46.00

10 W price:$35.00

size 8 price:$17.50

NEVER WORN 9R price:$67.50

11-1/2R price:$32.50

9R price: $32.50

6W price:$11.95

8R price:$32.50