VIETNAM USMC ADVISOR TIGER STRIPES & BERET

JGC

Sorry for the last post, it looks like I have 2 shots of Zalewski, this is the photo of Capt Norton, the arty adviser.

IMG_042.jpg

great pics

just reminded me my freind recently purchased a mutt which came out of thailand

in bad condtion he is restoreing it at present

they traced the numbers back and it was orignaly owned by svmc

so he is restroing it back to that. it even had a carbine holder in it

keep the pics comeing

jack

Well all good things must end, these are the last of the photos. For all of the collectors of Tiger Stripes, I hope I've been able to help you in some way. Hope you enjoy these last shots. Jon

IMG_045.jpg

IMG_046.jpg

IMG_048.jpg

IMG_053.jpg

Thank you so much for those wonderful and colorful photos !

Ditto. It's not everyday you get to view pics of this quality and quantity. Thank you for making each of the past few days of opening this thread a pleasant surprise.

Re: The pen issue

In the Osprey booklet of 'Soviets in Afghanistan' there's mention of pens denoting officer status amongst Afghan commandoes, therefore, it seems the wearing of pens is a universal symbol of education and/or rank.

The direct embroidered boonie in post 46 is just fantastic .

It looks like he is drinking and driving !!!

Thanks for postig these wonderfull images .

owen

I stopped by and was talking to Jim Hill today and he was telling me about one of the advisers pictured below. It was of Capt Ray Smith, now Major General Smith, and how he won the Navy Cross during his tour in 72. I did a little research and I found his Citation for the award.

IMG_001.jpg

IMG_004.jpg

Navy Cross

Awarded for actions during the Vietnam War

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Captain Ray L. Smith (MCSN: 0-102290), United States Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism during the period 30 March to 1 April 1972 while serving as advisor to a Vietnamese Command group numbering approximately 250 Vietnamese Marines located on a small hilltop outpost in the Republic of Vietnam. With the Command Group repulsing several savage enemy assaults, and subjected to a continuing hail of fire from an attacking force estimated to be of two-battalion strength, Captain Smith repeatedly exposed himself to the heavy fire while directing friendly air support. When adverse weather conditions precluded further close air support, he attempted to lead the group, now reduced to only 28 Vietnamese Marines, to the safety of friendly lines. An enemy soldier opened fire upon the Marines at the precise moment that they had balked when encountering an outer defensive ring of barbed wire. Captain Smith returned accurate fire, disposing of the attacker, and then threw himself backwards on top of the booby-trap-infested wire barrier. Swiftly, the remaining Marines moved over the crushed wire, stepping on Captain Smith's prostrate body, until all had passed safely through the barrier. Although suffering severe cuts and bruises, Captain Smith succeeded in leading the Marines to the safety of friendly lines. His great personal valor and unrelenting devotion to duty reflected the highest credit upon himself, the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

Service: Marine Corps

Authority: Navy Department Board of Decorations and Medals

• 4 weeks later...

I had a chance to talk to Gunner Jim Hill recently, and he gave me a couple of photos that I thought I'd share with the forum. The first was a photo of SSGT Hill as National Service Rifle Champion, at the National Matches, Camp Perry, Ohio 1956.

MVC-149S.jpg

The 2nd photo is Jim being presented the trophy as the National Smallbore Prone Champion in 1964, Quantico, Virginia.

MVC-153S.jpg

MVC-152S.jpg