VIETNAM USMC ADVISOR TIGER STRIPES & BERET

JGC

Over the weekend I put on a display at the local American Legion Post. I was talking to the Legion Commander and he ask me if I would be interested in some of his uniforms for my display, of course I said yes, and this is what he gave me for my collection. As you can guess, I was speechless. On a day that I thought I was trying to honor the local vets, he honored me by entrusting me with his uniform. We live in a great country, and we're so lucky to have these veterans to thank for it. To all the veterans and active service men that are members of this forum, I'd just like to say, job well done and thank you. Jon

MVC-903S.jpg

MVC-904S.jpg

MVC-905S.jpg

MVC-906S.jpg

MVC-907S.jpg

MVC-909S.jpg

MVC-911S.jpg

Jon,

congratulations on the singular honour that has been bestowed upon you by being granted custodianship of this remarkable ensemble.

Superb set.

Patrick.

With Tigerstripe collecting this set sits in the top rank !!

I am with the boys here and say Bravo !!!

owen

I appreciate the comments on the set. Jim Hill served 30 years in the USMC, enlisted in 48 and retired in 78. He did 2 tours in Vietnam, was a member of the marine shooting team and won a silver medal in the Olympics. I'm suppose to go spend some time with him going through old photos, he indicated that he has some of him in these tiger stripes. I'll be sure to post them when I get them. Hes a great guy and I hope to get more information regarding his service, I'll keep you all posted as I learn more myself. Thanks Jon

This is a great story Jon .

You have got one of the Vietnam wars most sought after uniforms for sure .

And with the history behind it , is just amazing .

I am happy for you as a fellow collector !!

owen

Great, great thumbsup.gif

This is a very nice set! Do you have more details from his assignment and tour?

Thank you to share

Cheers

Valery

• 3 weeks later...

Wonderful set with provenance, you are the lucky one :D

Could you show the inside of beret ? if there is a tailor tag.

Does the shirt have pockets under the armpits ? (one for cigarettes box, one for pens ) ?

Thanks

Wonderful set with provenance, you are the lucky one :D

Could you show the inside of beret ? if there is a tailor tag.

Does the shirt have pockets under the armpits ? (one for cigarettes box, one for pens ) ?

Thanks

I've attached a few more photos of the uniform and beret. As far as your question regarding the pockets, yes there is a pocket under the armpit of the right sleeve, and a pocket for pens on the outside of the left sleeve. I also noticed that the 2 front pockets have both the buttons in the center, but also small snaps on the corners of the flap. I could not see any sign of a maker mark on the inside of this jacket, and the beret only had the plastic diamond. I hope this answers your questions. Thanks Jon

MVC-032S.jpg

MVC-033S.jpg

MVC-034S.jpg

MVC-035S.jpg

MVC-038S.jpg

MVC-040S.jpg

MVC-036S.jpg

MVC-041S.jpg

MVC-039S.jpg

1. Please ask for details re his advisory tour, namely: dates of tour; was he assigned at Div HQ; what was the function of a Gunner as an advisor.

2. Ask him if he was in Quang Tri Province in early 1971. If so, I think I bought him a drink at the MACV compound club.

3. So where is his flaming bomb collar device?

1. Please ask for details re his advisory tour, namely: dates of tour; was he assigned at Div HQ; what was the function of a Gunner as an advisor.

2. Ask him if he was in Quang Tri Province in early 1971. If so, I think I bought him a drink at the MACV compound club.

3. So where is his flaming bomb collar device?

Next time I talk to him I'll try and get the info you've requested. He did mention that he was used as a spotter in some type of light aircraft, unfortunately we didn't have a lot of time to talk. We're suppose to get together soon, he said he had some photos for me, but he was going to need some time to dig them out. He won a silver medal for shooting in the 1960 Rome Olympics and was also a 2 time National Champion in shooting. As requested here is a shot of the flaming bomb devise. Thanks Jon

MVC-037S.jpg

Absolutely beautiful uniform!! BTW Mr. Hill lost the Gold medal by two points! Peter Kohnke scored a 590 and James E. Hill scored a 589 in the 50 meter three position rifle competition.

Jon,

Thanks a lot for all these pics. The shirt was made exactly like the one some of my french fellow collector and I have. I think it s a standard configuration for VNMC advisor.

The beret flash and all other embroideries are fantastic, and as Mr James Enoch Hill was Oympic shooting silver medal winner, you are really very lucky to have this prestigious person uniform :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I was finally able to get back with Mr. Hill and he provided me with a number of photos of the USMC advisers. I also got a little bit more information regarding his tours. He first went to Vietnam in 1967 and did his second tour in 1972. In 72 he was the ordnance adviser to the SVMC. Here are a few photos of Jim. If you would like me to post the other photos, I'd be more then happy to do so, there are about 50 total. The first photo is of Jim and Capt Douc in Hue City.

IMG_049.jpg

IMG_051.jpg

IMG_031.jpg

IMG_047.jpg

IMG_050.jpg

The last photo is of Jim firing a Tow missile, one of the first to come to Vietnam. The photo of Jim and the burned out tank is interesting in that he said this was one of the first enemy tanks destroyed by a Tow missile.

I think that I misidentified the photo of the tank and Jim Hill. This photo is the first tank destroyed by a Tow missile, sorry for the mistake. Jon

IMG_052.jpg

I think that I misidentified the photo of the tank and Jim Hill. This photo is the first tank destroyed by a Tow missile, sorry for the mistake. Jon

Fantastic pictures, keep posting more if you ca, please :D

Thanks

Hi Jon,

i agree with Copran, please post more if you possibly can thay are superb images.

Patrick.