1 Kill on D-Day 56th Fighter Group pilot and POW

KASTAUFFER

wildcat123

Wow, that is a great grouping!! Gotta love the medals and all the associated paperwork (and photos to boot). Congratulations thumbsup.gif

• 1 year later...
Kurt,

How'd you turn up those cards?

Feel free to drop in a plug for your research service :)

Its much easier to have Adam pull the award cards than to travel to St. Louis yourself.

Kurt

Feel free to drop in a plug for your research service :)

Its much easier to have Adam pull the award cards than to travel to St. Louis yourself.

Kurt

Once again, that is a great grouping! Sorry to go on a tangent, but I haven't ever seen those award cards before. Do they have those for all of the numbered air forces in WWII? How do you get them? Thanks for your help.

Tyler

Once again, that is a great grouping! Sorry to go on a tangent, but I haven't ever seen those award cards before. Do they have those for all of the numbered air forces in WWII? How do you get them? Thanks for your help.

Tyler

Tyler,

Here's my original post about the cards. Air Corps / Air Force Award cards for WWII and Korea The cards can only be requested in person. They don't have a system in place to accept written or email requests. My next trip to St. Louis will hopefully be in the late fall. As far as I know they have all Air Corps and Air Force units through the Korean War but may of the cards are misfiled.

OOps, completely missed that previous post, thanks so much for the info.

Hello,

So did I ! :blink:

How lucky you are, thank you for sharing this very interesting grouping.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Very nice grouping indeed. Some years ago I was able to acquire the complete Class "A" of one of your man's comrades-in-arms, George. E. Bostwick. He's a 56th FG "ace" and is credited with shooting down an Me262 jet. Unfortunately I did not get the medals as the seller split the group! :o Bostwick stayed in the service and retired from the USAF a bird Colonel.

A "Lufberry" was a name given to a defensive tactic first used and devised by French aviator Raoul Lufberry in WW1. Friendly planes flew in a defensive circle, each covering the other's tail, so to speak.

• 11 months later...

Amazing grouping.The medals are very nice but really digging the paper work.I especially like the DFC, 25 mission in a B-17, and the 2 aerial victory claims. :o

I just looked in the AF official victory credits for WW2.He has 2 earned victories.One for each of the dates mentioned above, 06JUN44 & 04JUL44.

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...
bellasilva

Love it. I have a pretty large grouping to an Armorer that served with the 8th AAF on D-Day and armed the fighter of a P51 Mustang pilot who later became somewhat famous for volunteering to train the very first Israeli Air Force cadets in 1948. Ever since giving this grouping a home I've been fascinated by stuff like this.

blitzkrieg gsd

Very nice group I love groups to fighter pilots I don't see enough of them. The after action reports of the air to air combat are great.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is his Air Medal card in color:

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/139530707?objectPage=560

Here is his DFC card in color:

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/133410905?objectPage=104

Nothing that you didn't have already, but the color cards are nice to print on cardstock and keep with the collection.

Thanks for sharing your find! Do you recall what this ran you at the time? It seems anything like that is taken down off eBay. I remember when you could buy Purple Hearts without issue there.