WWII USMC Poncho

Lucky 7th Armored

Lucky 7th Armored

I have the chance to buy an original WWII USMC Poncho, the guy says its mint and dated and he should have some in 2 weeks.

He said they will be around $85-$95, i was just wondering if that was a fair price because i havent seen any on Ebay recently.

Thanks, Haydn

Haydn,

I would say thats a fair price if they are USMC marked and dated.The 1942 and 43 dated ones are a little harder to find.The 44 and 45 dated ones are more common.There are also USN marked ones and plain ones too.

Also there exists repos and they are pretty easy to tell the differances.The color is a little off and the material is much thinner.

I would buy one if I were in your shoes thumbsup.gif Hope this helps.

RD

Greg Robinson

Since they found all those USMC camo ponchos in Greece they've been a lot more common that they once were. In the 1990's you'd have paid about $150 for one in mint condition and that's with late war dates. I once saw a '42 dated poncho sell for over $300 and the condition was just decent. Si I'd agree with Doyler that the price is reasonable assuming they really are mint. It should be soft and pliable with no stiffness (a common flaw with those). And avoid those that are covered with white powder.....the stuff is very difficult to clean off.

Greg

Greg Robinson

Before the camouflage poncho there was the OD USMC poncho manufactured from 1938 through 1942.

Greg Robinson
Before the camouflage poncho there was the OD USMC poncho manufactured from 1938 through 1942.

markings on a late production OD poncho. These were still around throughout WW2.

post-4-1243685549.jpg

Corpsmancollector

Hi Haydn, I agree with Greg and Doyler, thats not a bad price if its in nice condition. I've been lucky and picked up a '42,'43 + '44 for just over £100. Also, as Greg has highlighted, that white stuff is very difficult to get off!

Good luck and hope you get it

Will

You can get the old powder coating off if you wear it in the shower, I've done it. If it is all dried and brittle it will fall apart though, but if that is the case it was junk to start with. thumbsup.gif

hahaha....I can just picture you getting out of the shower and the look on the missus face!!!!!.... w00t.gif ..mike

Lol, I try and do strange things like that when no one is around. :lol: