M1917 Gas Mask

Old Marine

Old Marine

I picked up this WWI gas mask last week. WWI items are a bit outside of my collecting area so I'd like to hear your comments and observations on this mask. I bought it because the price was right and it's also complete. I have never seen one with all the little bits and pieces still together.

post-2843-1243443063.jpg

Old Marine

post-2843-1243443139.jpg

The carrier is in real good condition but the mask is stiff. I was able to get it out of the bag in order to blow out the accumulated dirt and dust but if I try to straighten out the hose or face piece it will just crack. The filter is painted yellow and is embossed with the "CANCO" logo at the top. In the carrier there is a wire, spring like rack sewn in to the bottom that the filter rests on.

Old Marine

post-2843-1243443434.jpg

Along with the mask and filter this has the original anti-fogging kit and the instruction/record of use booklet.

Old Marine

post-2843-1243443526.jpg

In the back of the booklet it still has 3 pieces of repair tape for the mask. Like I said I am not real well versed in WWI items. Are complete masks with all the accessories rare? How does the condition of this mask stack up to others of this vintage? It this normal condition for a WWI mask or is this one considered poor because of the brittleness? I just bought it because I thought it was a bit unusual to see all the original parts, including the tie string.

Well, I would appreciate any comments or observations that you may have about this mask.

Thanks

Dennis

Dennis,

Thats a fair looking mask thumbsup.gif

Not real easy to find as they were about 10 years ago but still available.Most times the lenses have started to de-laminate(sp?).The hose is normally stiff or cracked and the little black rubber bladder is stiff or gone altogether.I have only one or two where the hose and face mask are pilable.Always a plus to get the accesories.Several pf mine have the soldiers ID in the book too.

I think you did very well.Will look great on a uniform or manequin display.

RD

Old Marine

Thanks for your input. I thought it looked pretty good too, but I was really taking a shot in the dark. That little bladder is there too, it's stiff as a board and it's broken off from the hose, but it's there.

Just to pester you some more, what's that little bladder for? Moisture trap? Regulator?

New Romantic

WWI US Gas Masks happen to be an interest of mine, well along with all things WWI/pre WW I. I've been studying and observing the variations of the US masks since 2000 and this summer I plan to do a concise topic here on the subject.

Your mask is a typical early example of what is known as the Corrected English Mask. Variations of the CE Mask are numerous consisting of combinations of difference flutter valve guard brackets, celluloid or laminated glass lenses and yellow or green filter canisters.

The little "rubber bladder" mentioned here is known as the flutter valve and it allowed the mask's wearer to exhale without gas entering the mask. Most often the flutter valve has broken off when you find these masks. Soft masks and hoses are a scarce find these days but not incredibly rare.

BigJohn#3RD
WWI US Gas Masks happen to be an interest of mine, well along with all things WWI/pre WW I. I've been studying and observing the variations of the US masks since 2000 and this summer I plan to do a concise topic here on the subject.

Your mask is a typical early example of what is known as the Corrected English Mask. Variations of the CE Mask are numerous consisting of combinations of difference flutter valve guard brackets, celluloid or laminated glass lenses and yellow or green filter canisters.

The little "rubber bladder" mentioned here is known as the flutter valve and it allowed the mask's wearer to exhale without gas entering the mask. Most often the flutter valve has broken off when you find these masks. Soft masks and hoses are a scarce find these days but not incredibly rare.

Dennis

Great looking addition to any WWI collection. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Regards

John

• 5 years later...

Nice example, just posting to let other members know that it is a Simmons produced bag. You can tell by the distinctive features (it's taller for one thing) such as the hardware. Simmons used a metal cap on the cords, later manufacture just used a waxed cut end.

RC

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.