Looking for info on LST-025

Minnvol

My uncle, Willard Swanson, was an officer on the LST 025. ANyone have any photos of the boat, or info on the crew? Thanks.

Salvage Sailor

Was your uncles service with the Coast Guard or USN?

Here's a link to the history of LST-25 along with a photo

LST-25

Was your uncles service with the Coast Guard or USN?

Here's a link to the history of LST-25 along with a photo

LST-25

WOOO HOOOOO - That's JUST what I was looking for.... My uncle was on the 381 (USN) and cross decked to the 025 as stated in the article you sent. I always wondered why they swapped boats, and now it is clear!! I have all his records and uniforms, but am trying to get any wartime photos so I can put together a whole package. I have copies of orders listing the complimnet of the the 025 and a listing of the others who were the fitting out crew of the 381.

Thanks SO much for the info!!! w00t.gif

Salvage Sailor
WOOO HOOOOO - That's JUST what I was looking for.... My uncle was on the 381 (USN) and cross decked to the 025 as stated in the article you sent. I always wondered why they swapped boats, and now it is clear!! I have all his records and uniforms, but am trying to get any wartime photos so I can put together a whole package. I have copies of orders listing the complimnet of the the 025 and a listing of the others who were the fitting out crew of the 381.

A collective you're welcome from the Forum, it is an excellent source of information from our members while you assemble your Uncles service grouping.

The history of LST-25 & LST-381 is quite interesting and unique. Was your Uncle aboard LST-381 when she was damaged by the Luftwaffe at Gela, Sicily during Operation Husky? She was swapped for LST-25 so that the USN retained a seasoned crew & operational vessel for the upcomming CBI missions. She was in the Normandy assault, and then went back to the Pacific for Operation Iceberg, the invasion of Okinawa. Another good example of two-ocean USN service in multiple theaters during WWII.

Hope you post photos of this grouping when you're ready, including the crewlists.

Go to this website:

http://gallery.pictopia.com/usni/

It is for the US Naval Institute. My understanding is that they have photo archives with thousands upon thousands of photos of all sorts of various US Navy ships - I'd have to guess that those LST's you mentioned are included.

Don't just rely on their website though - CALL OR WRITE them - not everything they have access to and which they can reprint for you is listed on their website. In addition, don't get sticker shock by what you see on their website, what you see is I think for framed up or at least matted photos.

But anyway, check it out and contact them.

Good luck!

MW