Korean Web gear set

JKrebs21

So i have been collecting WW1 and WW2 web gear pieces, and have decided to get a complete web gear set for both Korea and Vietnam. I am going to first start with the Korea set however i need some tips on what all is needed. I am looking to make a basic US army soldiers set so I am assuming I will need the following:

M-1945 suspenders

M-1945 Backpack system with upper and lower peices

M-1945 (or late ww2) e-toll and cover

Late war OD-Green M1 cartidge belt without the inner set of clasps

-or a belt with M1 Carbine pouches

1950's dated canteen cover, canteen and mess kit

Are there any other pouches or attachments i should be thinking of? Also, how much of this would have been ww2 surplus, IE cartridge pouches, belts, canteens?

Thanks!

Bob Hudson
So i have been collecting WW1 and WW2 web gear pieces, and have decided to get a complete web gear set for both Korea and Vietnam. I am going to first start with the Korea set however i need some tips on what all is needed. I am looking to make a basic US army soldiers set so I am assuming I will need the following:

M-1945 suspenders

M-1945 Backpack system with upper and lower peices

M-1945 (or late ww2) e-toll and cover

Late war OD-Green M1 cartidge belt without the inner set of clasps

-or a belt with M1 Carbine pouches

1950's dated canteen cover, canteen and mess kit

Are there any other pouches or attachments i should be thinking of? Also, how much of this would have been ww2 surplus, IE cartridge pouches, belts, canteens?

Thanks!

I've always thought that during the Korean War they were pretty much issued whatever was around and that pre-45 stuff would be just as suitable. I would not use anything dated in the 50's unless it was 1950 or 51 because most of the 50's gear came out too late to be issued during the war: I don't think there was much if any field gear produced during that war since they had so much left over from WWII.

I have a whole bunch of 1945 and later stuff - and, as someone said, we used to call the 1945 stuff "post WWII, Korean era," but it could also be called "early Vietnam."

from what i have been finding it looks like the korean set could be pretty cheap to assemble. I have alot of this in the past pass through my collection as I was focused on completing my ww2 gear. I had about 1/2 of a 1956 gear set and probably 1/3 of the Korean set. Oh well =)

It's like FS say's, if you keep it to 51 gear or earlier in OD you will be fine. I do think that some 52 dated stuff would also be proper as the war did not end till the summer of 53 so was plenty of time for this year to make it to the field. If I am not mistaken from my recalling things that I have read that the replacement troops and marine's were issued their field gear in the states before shipping overseas.

Sgt. Rob P.

Thanks!

1st aid pouch, possibly 2nd canteen w/Carrier as that was getting to be fairly standard. 10 inch M1 rifle bayonet, or M4 carbine bayonet depending on which belt you do choose. A variety of other things depending on how creative you may want to get.

Semper Fi, Rob

craig_pickrall

Proberly the best single reference book for this period is Shelby Stanton's Uniforms of the Korean War. It should be available for around $30. This will give you a decent time line on both uniforms and gear.