What is the diferences between these 2 qual badges?

FightenIrish35

FightenIrish35

Hey eveyrbody,

Hope all is well....

I know the basics on what a qualification badge is ...most commonly you will see the qual rifle , bayonet or grenade etc etc on dress uniforms...

After getting some items belonging to a WW2 Vet I realized that he has 2 difrent patterns of the qual badge.....can someone explain the diference between these two?

Thanks guys

2r2uivc.jpg

2620h06.jpg

The plain cross is the Marksman level. The one with the target is the Sharpshooter level. There is a third pattern with a wreath around a cross for the Expert level. Which level a soldier is awarded depends on his or her score with whatever weapon on which they are being tested.

FightenIrish35

wow ATB..thanks a bunch! That really helps me out...I always thought they meant diferent things but never really looked into it. Thanks!

Lets say a soldier scores in the marksmen level...can he decided to take it again to score higher or is it like a one and done type test.. think.gif

To further clarify, Marksman is the lowest level of qualification, Sharpshooter is higher, and Expert is the highest level of qualification.

Normally, all soldieers qualify with a rifle during their basic training. Soldiers will then qualify with weapons appropriate to their specialty during the advanced portion of their atraining. For example, a machine gunner will qualify with that weapon and be authorized to wear a machinegun bar on his badge, a tanker might qualify with a pistol and tank weapons and be authorized to wear those bars, etc. An infantryman might qualify with pistol, carbine, submachine gun, machine gun, and various anti-tank weapons, but more likely he will just qualify with the rifle and have familiarization training and live fire with the others.

Typically, a soldier qualifies during training, and then once a year after that, but only with his assigned weapon. If he becomes more proficient and scores higher, then he will be authorized to wear the higher badge. Of course, if he qualifies LOWER, then he'll have to wear that badge until next year, too! w00t.gif

Steve