War movie "84 charlie mopic"

krautpot

I got the dvd two months ago, watched it three times. I´ve seen many films about VN war, like platoon, deerhunter and so on, but I must say this one is very impressive! There is no big epic story, no big budget and stars, but great athmosphere. What do you think about the movie?

cheers

Michael

sgtdorango

I think I saw it long ago.. think.gif ..I remember liking it, was it filmed with a hand held camera?....real choppy and lots of swearing?...or am I thinking of another movie!?....will have to find it and watch it again.....mike

I think I saw it long ago.. think.gif ..I remember liking it, was it filmed with a hand held camera?....real choppy and lots of swearing?...or am I thinking of another movie!?....will have to find it and watch it again.....mike

You are perfectly right! The complete movie is filmed with a hand held camera. A lieutenant and a private of an army war correspondent unit, are filming a patrol/recon mission of an airborne unit.

Bob Hudson

I've never heard of it but after seeing your post I looked it up and it seems like something worth watching. It does seem to be different than the usual movie which uses the war setting mostly as an excuse to preach to the audience. Here's what was said about it in the book War and American popular culture by M. Paul Holsinger:

mopic.jpg

Excellent movie, I have had it on VHS for years, Time to get the DVD.

I remember showing it to a buddy of mine that is former 173rd ABN LRRP RVN and the scenes of the cameraman following the ruck ahead of him as they ran thru the jungle brought back some memories for him.

I would like to see something doe along the same lines but w/ little to no verbal dialogue, just hand signals and maybe a covered whisper in an ear. I bet a good 30-60 minute short movie could be made on a very small budget.

I've never heard of it but after seeing your post I looked it up and it seems like something worth watching. It does seem to be different than the usual movie which uses the war setting mostly as an excuse to preach to the audience. Here's what was said about it in the book War and American popular culture by M. Paul Holsinger:

post-214-1243278641.jpg

Darktrooper

When I was in College, during an Art History Class, the professor showed it to the class.

I had that movie on vhs and watched the hell out of it when I was in high school. Its a great flick. I always thought it was out of print, where

did you guys find it on dvd?

I agree with what has been said so far, EXCELLENT movie. My dad and I watched it a lot in the early 90's. I haven't been able to find it on DVD so far. Anyone know where I can find it on DVD?

Arch

Bob Hudson
I agree with what has been said so far, EXCELLENT movie. My dad and I watched it a lot in the early 90's. I haven't been able to find it on DVD so far. Anyone know where I can find it on DVD?

Arch

You can get it on Ebay, item 110339287040

Manchu Warrior
You can get it on Ebay, item 110339287040

If you notice all of the "84 Charlie Mopic" DVDs on ebay are coming from Asian countries. I am no expert on DVDs but this seems to be a red flag and I just want to ask if these particular DVDs are bootleg versions? Because I did a little searching around and I don't believe this movie has ever been released on DVD in the USA. And this happens to be one of my big issues with eBay. And that is that they kick very legit and legal items off and then let garbage like this be sold, that is if it is fact a bootleg DVD. think.gif

Manchu Warrior

Did a little more searching around and to my surprise "84 Charlie Mopic" can be watched on Youtube. The movie is broken up in ten minute intervals but the quality is great. thumbsup.gif

brandon_rss18

But do other countries use a different DVD format than we do? Thats what I would be worried about, buying it and then it not working on an American DVD player.

But do other countries use a different DVD format than we do? Thats what I would be worried about, buying it and then it not working on an American DVD player.

DVDs from Europe have another regional code, than the discs from USA, I think it doesn´t work in your players/pc.

I have several HONG KONG movies on DVD and they all play fine in my player , the NTSC code is marked ALL

Bob Hudson

The one on the Ebay link above is for US players.

• 8 years later...

I saw 84 Charlie MoPic at a movie theatre in Texas back in 1989-90 and considered it to be a very good movie, I'd more or less forgot about it until now. I never did see it on VHS or DVD. Thanks for the heads-up on this movie. Nice to know it's available on DVD!

they appear to be wearing TIGER STRIPE PRODUCTS brand repro Vietnam Tiger Stripe Camo utility uniforms that were popular at the time and were sold through mail order or surplus stores

• 7 months later...