ERDL & Woodland Camo Helmet Covers

kfields

I bought this cover at a local gunshow at the first of the month for a couple bucks. I like the unit marked stuff like this. The E-4 and Division patch are both machine sewn to the cover. This cover shows wear in that the outside top of the cover has tiny wearthrough marks from the helmet sitting upside down. My questions:

I assume this goes on a Kevlar type helmet. Will this fit any size and any version of the helmet? Any idea when this dates from? There are manufacturers marks in the dome portion but unfortunately they are too faded to read. Thanks! Kim

post-60-1166383834.jpg

This cover will not fit any helmet, they come in sizes like the helmets do. They are no longer one size fits all like the steel ones. One of the marking that has faded out was the size. As for weather it will fit the different models, that I don't know.

• 3 months later...

Okay, here I fire off another question and request. The ERDL pattern camouflage helmet cover was first contracted in 1969 but didn't get its specification completed until 30 December 1971. That late of date makes it unlikely that anyone (even the Air Force that was issued the ERDl gear early) received them while serving in Vietnam. I say unlikely, but that is not a definite. Are there any collectors or vets here that remember their use in Vietnam? Does anyone have any photographic evidence of them being used in-country during the Vietnam era?

Thank you for any assistance you can give on this topic.

Ken

*Photo from ljmilitaria.com

post-99-1176384413.jpg

Ken,

Later today I will post a helmet that I have with the same style cover. It is a great looking "soldier art" helmet, which came from a Vietnam veteran's esate. I have never really gotten opinions on it, but will post here for you.

Chris

Thanks, Chris...I look forward to seeing it!

Ken

Well, while we are awaiting the promised photo, here's an interesting ERDL cover. I picked it up about 20 yeas ago outside Washington, DC. Look closely and you will see the numeral 3 and the cocked hat insignia of the #rd Infantry - "The Old Guard".

134_3480__2_.JPG

For what little it's worth, I was told sometime ago that there are pictures of Marines wearing these covers during the Fall of Saigon. Haven't actually seen any of those pictures myself though.

For what little it's worth, I was told sometime ago that there are pictures of Marines wearing these covers during the Fall of Saigon. Haven't actually seen any of those pictures myself though.

You are right, Marines are wearing them during the evacuation of the US embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

Regards,

Stephan

• 1 month later...

Well...the wife and I were heading home about 4:00 on a Saturday afternoon after eating a late lunch when we came across the remnants of a junk sale by the side of the road. Usually these things are picked clean that late into the weekend but we stopped anyway.

There on one of the tables was a complete kevlar helmet with liner, headband and chinstrap for $10.00 and I bought it !

This morning, I stretched the cover I previously posted about over the helmet and it seems to fit perfectly! I know next to nothing about the kevlar helmets so not sure if this is early or late. What are the two button-holes on the back of the cover for ? Kim

post-60-1181498782.jpg

post-60-1181498826.jpg

post-60-1181498879.jpg

• 3 months later...

Kim, the 'button holes' in the rear let the retention straps pass through when the helmet is set up for airborne use. There is also a foam pad that mounts in the rear of the helmet to absorb shock.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there! Thought I would post my ERDL para helmet for some opinions. It has some artwork as well. The liner is dated 1968 and the pot is a reissued SB Schlueter. The only thing not original is the NOS anchor stamped chinstrap and US marked web chincup which were absent when I found it. The Spec4 pin and 101st patch were with the helmet when found as well.

post-1940-1193978585.jpg

• 4 months later...

I served in RVN in 1970-71, in I CTZ. IIRC the ERDL camo helmet covers were newly issued as of Jan 71 (Operation LAM SON into Laos) as part of the influx of NYLON LBE. I first saw the nylon gear in use in Nov 70. The covers and LBE seemed to have been issued to new-in-country troops as they passed through the replacement bns. No simple pattern to who had it and who did not, but there was more of it in the 101st and the 196th Bde than other units I saw.

I served in RVN in 1970-71, in I CTZ. IIRC the ERDL camo helmet covers were newly issued as of Jan 71 (Operation LAM SON into Laos) as part of the influx of NYLON LBE. I first saw the nylon gear in use in Nov 70. The covers and LBE seemed to have been issued to new-in-country troops as they passed through the replacement bns. No simple pattern to who had it and who did not, but there was more of it in the 101st and the 196th Bde than other units I saw.

I did not know that. Thanks for letting us know. Does anyone have pics of them being used in-country?

To add to your Kevlar cover. As stated earlier, the size of the cover is printed on the inside of the cover. They usually were Small/Medium and Large/X-Large. For a period, I was issued a Medium/Large. Your cover will only fit the PASGT helmet and is easily identified by the nylon straps with velcro on the ends. They go under the the helmet band suspension webing and fold back on themselves like you have it.

The ACH uses a different cover. It has a two sided velcro strap, male/female velcro, that fold up into the helmet and velcro's to the male velcro disks found inside the helmet. the other side has male velcro and helps hold the internal pads in place. The ACH cover, specifically, the ACU pattern one has IR identification squares on the sides and top with nylon flaps that cover them when not needed. A communication flap sewn on the back is commonly mis-identified as a NVG mount flap.

I wanted to clarify that as you asked if it would fit yours would fit any Kevlar, no, yours won't fit an ACH.

As for dating, this is just from personal recollection, but I don't recall any units sewing unit patches on the sides of their helmets until after Desert Storm. The first time I ever recall seeing units doing that was during the Kosovo Campaign. It became real common with the 3rd ID during the early stages of OIF, so if I had to venture a guess, I would say your cover is probably early 2000.

• 5 months later...

I picked this MP helmet cover the other day at a militaria show for a few bucks. The MP letters have been on the cover for some time and are nicely faded and set into place I have no idea of the time frame as I cannot read the faded nomenclature stamp on the inside.

MP_camo_cover.JPG

I just found this one recently. (I added the 1958 pattern liner) Its a VN era OD silica finish shell with a real combat used look to it. From what I gather from this thread, the cover is a late VN era (possibly 1971?) piece. The photos arent that clear, but inked on the front is what appears to be the medic caduceus, and on the back, the name "REDNECK". What exactly is the story behind these covers? Did they see use in Vietnam?

lateVN005.jpglateVN001.jpglateVN003.jpglateVN004.jpglateVN006.jpg

I have never seen those in video or pictures from Vietnam, But maybe its cause, the helmets were so dirty, never noticed, or carded to look.