M47 in Vietnam?

Philip

was the m47 tank used by the usmc during the vietnam war? i saw them in the movie full metal jacket. all pictures with usmc (battle) tanks in vn i've ever seen were m48. is this a mistake or lack of the correct equipment just like the wrong helicopters (westland wessex)?

thanks

cmjordan77

Yeah, I asked my dad and he said he never saw any M47's. He trained in M48's, then in M60's and used the m60 in Vietnam. He was in a tank division over there.

He now suffers from permanent ringing of the ears because of these old beast's and crappy hearing protection.

Yeah, I asked my dad and he said he never saw any M47's. He trained in M48's, then in M60's and used the m60 in Vietnam. He was in a tank division over there.

He now suffers from permanent ringing of the ears because of these old beast's and crappy hearing protection.

No M47 Pattons were used in Vietnam, they were long gone from the inventory by then. The USMC used M48A3's and the Army M48A2's, M48A2c's, and M48A3's. And sorry, but no M60's were used in Vietnam either. The only versions of that tank to get deployed to SEA were the M60 AVLB's and the M728 CEV.

Being an old M60A1 man myself, I read M60 AVLB or M60 Bridge Layer and M728 CEV, and it didn't ring a bell, looked in good ol' Google and found these, that DID ring a bell, and brought back some memories, we never used that bridge, and we had some Combat Engineers on our Kaserne for awhile.

Most of our Cadre back then, the Vets that returned from Vietnam and stayed in only used the M48 in Vietnam.

http://www.patton-mania.com/M60_Patton/m60...html#M728%20CEV

http://www.primeportal.net/the_battlefield_armor.htm

was the m47 tank used by the usmc during the vietnam war? i saw them in the movie full metal jacket. all pictures with usmc (battle) tanks in vn i've ever seen were m48. is this a mistake or lack of the correct equipment just like the wrong helicopters (westland wessex)?

thanks

I believe those were actually m41 Walker bulldog tanks used in Full Metal Jacket. The ARVN used them in Vietnam but not the USMC. I think the story is Stanley Kubrick borrowed them from a wealthy fan in England.

That is one of many, many inaccuracies in that movie unfortunately.