General's Tunic WWII, 4 Stars! - $48

FW12

Picked this tunic up on eBay four years ago for $48; still consider it one of my best purchases. Somebody added a beautiful custom ribbon rack which is sewn directly to the uniform. Surely, whoever went to all the trouble to put this uniform together spent more than $48 bucks! This is one of my favorite uniforms - it may not be legit, but it sure is fun!

Happy Memorial Day!

post-88-1243134964.jpg

Man! You are one lucky devil!! Absolutely beautiful!! Am curious about the General Staff ID badge. Does it have any hallmark on it? The ribbon group is just gorgeous! Why can't I be so fortunate?? Thank you for sharing,

Gary

Man! You are one lucky devil!! Absolutely beautiful!! Am curious about the General Staff ID badge. Does it have any hallmark on it? The ribbon group is just gorgeous! Why can't I be so fortunate?? Thank you for sharing,

Gary

Thanks for the comments, Gary. No hallmark on the General Staff badge. It was just sittin there in the pocket when I got it. Just like before doing the laundry: always check those pockets, never know what you might find.

Beau

Looks very well done, doesn't it. I love the ribbon rack.

Maybe it was made for a movie or associated production. think.gif

Either way, if it was made up, the ribbon rack cost somebody some very big $$$$ to produce. The oak leaves look like old ones, too...

-Ski

Do you know who a uniform in this setup might have belonged to?

Sebas

No clue. I don't know if any of the big WWII generals had this kind of configuration.

Anybody know?

Beau

ItemCo16527

I can't think of any who had that combo. Looks like the French Medaille Militaire in the grouping, and I'm 99% sure Ike was the only American General to receive that one. There shouldn't be a CIB on it, since this officer was allegedly in the Philippines in the early 1900s, and I doubt he would've been a Colonel or lower to earn one and then have rapidly risen to 4 stars during the war.

I'm going to say this uniform is made up, but it was done very well. As Ski said, it cost whoever made it up spent a lot of money to do so, so paying $48 is a steal.

I can't think of any who had that combo. Looks like the French Medaille Militaire in the grouping, and I'm 99% sure Ike was the only American General to receive that one. There shouldn't be a CIB on it, since this officer was allegedly in the Philippines in the early 1900s, and I doubt he would've been a Colonel or lower to earn one and then have rapidly risen to 4 stars during the war.

I'm going to say this uniform is made up, but it was done very well. As Ski said, it cost whoever made it up spent a lot of money to do so, so paying $48 is a steal.

The CIB was added by me, I hadn't considered the rank structure with regard to combat service. But I certainly do agree, the quality is just superb.

Thanks for the info!

Beau

To bad...I was wondering because of the Dutch Officer in the Order of Oranje Nassau was on the ribbonrack.

He would have worn WWI O/S stripes as well.

Could have, though I've seen some uniforms belonging to WWI vets with no chevrons. In any event, I figure if he can master that kind of ribbon bar, he surely would have known about the overseas stripes.

Beau

Those are "rosettes" -- indicate a higher level of award. Those are found on European ORDERs to indicate higher level of the decotation. In actuality, these are honorary knighthoods of one level or other.

Beau, the stars look legit -- did you ever take a look at the hallmarks?

I am wondering if the ribbons are not legit too -- these are not easily recreated. This might be a real one -- tell you what -- I might be willing to doi some research for a price -- no charge if I am not successful!

Interested?

G

Those are "rosettes" -- indicate a higher level of award. Those are found on European ORDERs to indicate higher level of the decoration. In actuality, these are honorary knighthoods of one level or other.

I am wondering if the ribbons are not legit too -- these are not easily recreated. This might be a real one -- tell you what -- I might be willing to do some research for a price -- no charge if I am not successful!

Interested?

G

Take him up on it Beau, he's good with the Generals! thumbsup.gif

Those are "rosettes" -- indicate a higher level of award. Those are found on European ORDERs to indicate higher level of the decotation. In actuality, these are honorary knighthoods of one level or other.

I am wondering if the ribbons are not legit too -- these are not easily recreated. This might be a real one -- tell you what -- I might be willing to doi some research for a price -- no charge if I am not successful!

Interested?

G

I did a look at the stars, no hallmarks. I suppose whoever put the uniform together didn't want the clutches showing, so he bent back all the prongs.

I tell you what, Gil, I am fairly certain this is a recreation. If, however, you can find somebody - in your leisure time, of course - with an exact ribbon match set (this uniform probably dates late WWII, early Korean War just based on the tunic itself), I'll be happy to pay a stipend for your work (PM me your rates if you could, and don't forget I'm poor).

Beau

post-88-1243388903.jpg

The non-US ribbons are:

Italian "Croce al Merito di Guerra"

Nederlands "Order of Orange Nassau"

Nederlands "The Bronze Lion"

Belgium "Order of the Crown"

Belgium "Order of Leopold"

Belgium "Military Cross"

France "Legion of Honour"

France "Medaille Militaire"

France "Croix de Guerre 1939 avec Palme"

France "Order of the Academic Palms"

Yup! Very nice. This indicates they guy would have been in Italy, then probably with units under SHAEF.

G

The non-US ribbons are:

Italian "Croce al Merito di Guerra"

Nederlands "Order of Orange Nassau"

Nederlands "The Bronze Lion"

Belgium "Order of the Crown"

Belgium "Order of Leopold"

Belgium "Military Cross"

France "Legion of Honour"

France "Medaille Militaire"

France "Croix de Guerre 1939 avec Palme"

France "Order of the Academic Palms"

Wrong...there is no Dutch Bronze Lion (De Bronzen Leeuw) award in this ribbonrack. There is however a ribbon for the ''Officer in the Order of Oranje Nassau''...see these links:

http://www.lintjes.nl/civiele_orden/orde_o...n/officier.html

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronzen_Leeuw