Apache helicopters dont like storms

mmerc20

I just got back from the most eventful (yes eventful not UNeventful) field exercise in my 14 years in the Army. I just have few words after that, I will let the picture speak for itself.

AH-64D plus tornado within 5 miles equals bad.

Mike

post-3373-1243051733.jpg

hawkdriver

Yes, being an all weather machine, they don't fare tornados very well! 30mm vs. tornado, tornado always wins. Should have seen the aftermath of Ft. Hood many years ago after a tornado, it was ugly!

This was out at the Brownwood airport on day 2 of a 2 week FTX. That was just the beginning! These were the contracted tents the had put up for us to stay in. They "were" nice. They even had AC which was the large duct you see sitting in front. They were about 100'x50'.

Mike

post-3373-1243053615.jpg

hawkdriver

I'd say the Apache fared better than your tents did! We had a tornado come through our Bn TOC one year at Ft. Chaffe, took the entire TOC and ALOC. The only thing left was the switchboard operators stool an the coffee maker with the coffee still in it and tje table. The TOC tent was found half mile away and most of the other equipment was never found. Our saving grace was that a hometown news crew was present to document some of the training and actually got some footage of the carnage.

Cobrahistorian

Wow! We tend to fly away when weather like that comes through!

Other than the main rotor and #1 and 2 pylons, it doesn't look too terrible. Airframe is still mostly intact.... of course at $100,000 apiece for the rotor blades and who knows how much for the hub, that's a Class A mishap right there....

Cobrahistorian
They did, but the Bn staff had to stay behind.

Ah, makes sense. Sad to see a 64 in that shape.