Tennessee Makes collecting a Crime

memphismeister

Garth Thompson

Guys,

Let's everyone take a chill pill. The amendment makes it a non issue for collectors. Even if there were not an amendment to the bill it would have exactly the same effect as the SVA which is nothing other than ebay won't allow the listing of certain medals. Except for the MoH which we never could sell or trade anyway everything else is readily and openly for sale or trade at shows, on this and other forums, off dealer lists and so on. No collections have been confiscated, no one has been arrested/fined or otherwise punished. The SVA and this bill are non-issues to collectors and dealers.

Garth

Garth Thompson
Well, if it can be verified that the amendments constitute the complete bill, then we definately have nothing to worry about.

-Ski

Ski,

An amendment defines and clarifies a bills meaning and intent.

Garth

Curious Granddaughter
Guys,

Let's everyone take a chill pill. The amendment makes it a non issue for collectors. Even if there were not an amendment to the bill it would have exactly the same effect as the SVA which is nothing other than ebay won't allow the listing of certain medals. Except for the MoH which we never could sell or trade anyway everything else is readily and openly for sale or trade at shows, on this and other forums, off dealer lists and so on. No collections have been confiscated, no one has been arrested/fined or otherwise punished. The SVA and this bill are non-issues to collectors and dealers.

Garth

You are totally right, Garth! I admit to being a bad, bad girl. I saw red when I saw what the other guy posted and at that point, it wasn't even about the Bill anymore (it became a matter of calling someone out on their crap - I shouldn't of said anything no matter how I felt about it).

Next time I don't like what someone says I'll refrain from going for the jugular and I'll bite my tongue! ^_^ There's too many good people I like to interact with in this forum, it's not worth having upsets like this ruin my time here.

And since I love my grandpa too much to have other people looking at his picture when they are angry with me, I'm taking his picture down and putting mine back up - I'll take all the flak for what I say. salute.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I called Senator Craig Fitzhugh and his office said this bill was aimed at people who attempts to falsely represent themselves as someone who earned the medal or patch, etc. She seemed to think the wording had been changed but I don't see any changes.

This is a Link to a PDF copy of final signed bill: Tenn Senate Bill 1168

Steve

IMPERIAL QUEST

Even if the intent of the bill was to attempt to legislate something as ridiculous as targeting collectors who mind their own business, does anyone here seriously think for one minute that buying, selling and trading of militaria would stop - not in my world. In short, it is not an issue.

militarymodels

1. Where were the veteran communities? Did they agree with this law?

2. This is a new road open up for the younger and the next generation. Compared to the older generation, there are already many more who do not appreciate their freedom and the sacrifice that the veterans have had gone through for their freedom. This new law will drive them to a farther distance, and it makes a good reason for many many more not to give a $@#% about what the veterans have done for them.

Regards,

Lonny

IMPERIAL QUEST

2. This is a new road open up for the younger and the next generation. Compared to the older generation, there are already many more who do not appreciate their freedom and the sacrifice that the veterans have had gone through for their freedom. This new law will drive them to a farther distance, and it makes a good reason for many many more not to give a $@#% about what the veterans have done for them.

Regards,

Lonny

Lonny,

Unfortunately in our world today, the above considerations mean absolutely nothing when it comes to legislation. Since politics are forbidden here, I won't address the specifics of the initiation of such bills; suffice to say that the motives often have nothing to do with veterans, honor, sacrifice or even good old fashioned common sense.

Maybe it is best that we don't focus on such things in the open (especially here), but rather take up the fight with the sources of such nonsense by phone and e-mail.

• 2 months later...

All,

I've only been a Tennessean for 49 years but I'd like to draw notice all the pavement grinding and laying on I-40 (May be 65 and 24 but I've only been on I-40 lately). I'll bet this is a "butt-covering" on the legislature's part to either keep hiway funds or, in Ophelia's case, be noticed!

I can't speak for the MemphisMeister but there were quite a few free men at the meeting the other night, there's an Army Surplus store in Crossville that's still open, I have bought crests there since July 1, and I am, as of this writing, still on the loose.

I ain't sceered!

Wiley Winter

Nothing pisses me off more. I have bought numerous medals directly from the family who has no appreciation of the what they are or how they were earned. I guess these will just be sold at a yard sale or ultimately just thrown away with all the "valor" lost

• 1 year later...
Finally, a cogent response. We get a number of quick responses, including a suggested letter format with a has a poorly worded sentence, which in making no sense, makes the sender look like someone who is uneducated - but since it's being sent to TN, it might just be understood there.

Byte me, Dave!!! :w00t:

:w00t:

Of course, you can feel the love!!!

WW

Regards,

Lonny

\

Precisely why history is doomed to repeat itself IMHO

Garth Thompson

I don't know why this old post got brought up. If the law got passed it has had NO effect what so ever on the buying and selling of medals here in TN. I don't think it even got passed.

Garth

I don't know why this old post got brought up. If the law got passed it has had NO effect what so ever on the buying and selling of medals here in TN. I don't think it even got passed.

Garth

Garth,

This is my bad! I was searching for something totally unrelated and posted a snide remark to Dave's comment about Tennesseeans.

Uncalled for.

My apologies.

Wiley

I am totally baffled!! :fear:

Does this mean I cannot move to Tennessee without selling all of my medals? :dunno:

OR, am I in violation because I have already thought about moving to Tennessee......you know.... Intent??

Will Tennessee prosecute me even though I live in California? Will I be assessed extra "out of state" fees if they prosecute me in California?? Should I turn myself in to the state of California and fight extradition, or go voluntarily?? If I go voluntarily, will Tennessee be more lenient because it is the Volunteer State?? :lol: :w00t: :laughing1:

I'm soooo upset!! :nerv0003:

pathfinder505
I am totally baffled!! :fear:

Does this mean I cannot move to Tennessee without selling all of my medals? :dunno:

OR, am I in violation because I have already thought about moving to Tennessee......you know.... Intent??

Will Tennessee prosecute me even though I live in California? Will I be assessed extra "out of state" fees if they prosecute me in California?? Should I turn myself in to the state of California and fight extradition, or go voluntarily?? If I go voluntarily, will Tennessee be more lenient because it is the Volunteer State?? :lol: :w00t: :laughing1:

I'm soooo upset!! :nerv0003:

You have to sell your medals to tennesseans upon entry. There are out of state fees for all outsiders, its a way of not raising taxes or cutting teachers. Just drive to the state line and throw your stuff across and you will be no need for extradition but call and let us know when you plan to do the toss. Hope this helps :w00t:

I forgot to mention there is a Kiffin Tax if you went to USC.

Garth

And it hasn't impacted any TMCA shows since 2009. If it has I've not heard of it and I'm a member.

I forgot to mention there is a Kiffin Tax if you went to USC.

Hey, when I was in school we had a guy named McKay going out, and a guy named Robinson coming in.

NOBODY wants this guy Kiffin.

AND, I love the song you'll wrote about him............GO VOL's. :bravo:

PS- Who do I call when I'm ready to make the toss?? :w00t:

Hey, when I was in school we had a guy named McKay going out, and a guy named Robinson coming in.

NOBODY wants this guy Kiffin.

AND, I love the song you'll wrote about him............GO VOL's. :bravo:

PS- Who do I call when I'm ready to make the toss?? :w00t:

Please notify me! I'm closer to California, because I'm closer to the River, than the rest. I'm not sure where Garth lives, but I think he's east of me. In any event, to save the both of us from an exhausting race, please notify me!!!

Kiffin? Kiffin! Hmmm. Sounds familiar but I don't allow inappropriate language spoken in my house, thus my Mississippi State grad had to move out!

This discussion is really going down the toilet fast!! :w00t: :lol:

Wiley

Kiffin? Kiffin! Hmmm. Sounds familiar but I don't allow inappropriate language spoken in my house, thus my Mississippi State grad had to move out!

This discussion is really going down the toilet fast!! :w00t: :lol:

Wiley

Wiley,

I agree we are headed down hill fast!! :thumbsup:

But sometimes that's what it take to break the log-jam.......a bit of humor!!

We all get TOO serious at times! :pinch:

JS

pathfinder505

Kiffin is the name of the sewage treatment plant in Knoxville, TN :lol: Actually there was a movement to name it after him.

I'm glad you guy's got rid of Kiffin too. He was bad news. Just don't improve too much, too soon because then you'll be a threat to my Gamecocks! By the way I'm over the border here in MS so if the medal police start closing in on you just give me a shout and I'll be waiting to catch what you toss. :lol:

Dave

pathfinder505

This could be an event to compete with Bonnaroo. The great militaria Toss. You could also consider airdrops, we are open minded