WWII USMC Setup

Lucky 7th Armored

EmeraldBat
My tags are in - they were a little scratched up during the lettering process, but I'm happy with them. They have all the information my current tags have and I will be wearing these to Afghanistan. I'd like to order more for my left boots, but I'll stick with my current day ones. They came with the white cord and I purchased the leather cord for an extra 2.00. I tea-dyed the white cord last night and it came out a nice tan. I'll try and use brown shoe polish to darken it up so it looks like an original - plus white/tan is just not acceptible showing while in uniform.

P1070462.JPG

The cotton cord looks about right - if it were a darkish tan. Good width and thickness.

Are the tags steel? Or super light weight Monel?

marineabilly
The cotton cord looks about right - if it were a darkish tan. Good width and thickness.

Are the tags steel? Or super light weight Monel?

Wow - Good info!! Thanks EmeraldBat!! The tags are definitely not steel - they are in fact super light weight. I'm guessing one will say these are definitely not period correct material? I looked around and it appears no company produces steel ones. Either way, I'm happy with them and am glad to be taken them "into country" with me.

There is a feller on eBay that sells the oval model and I wrote to ask if he can entertain using current-day info, in which case I definitely place the order.

Thanks again!!

I have a 1905 USMC dogtag that's super light weight material, so not inaccurate...

last 4...I understand that PII is getting big, I wonder if that'll be the new order when I get back to the fleet this fall...if so then I can order some, too. Bet they don't want us to write our last 4 on our boots anymore, then

EmeraldBat
Wow - Good info!! Thanks EmeraldBat!! The tags are definitely not steel - they are in fact super light weight. I'm guessing one will say these are definitely not period correct material?

Thanks again!!

You don't want them to be heavy or steel. :-)

They used aluminum. Some WWII oval tags have 17% stainless steel.

Here's what I found:

USMC used Army style and Navy style tags during WWI:

1917-1918 had the 'sea services' used several styles

M-1917 - oval Monel, one hole.

M-1917A - 35mm diameter, aluminum, one hole.

M1918 - 30 mm diameter, aluminum, two holes.

M-1918A - 35mm diameter, aluminum, two holes.

Joy

• 8 months later...

Hey guys, I am brand new to the forum but figured everyone on here might be a helpful resource in what I am trying to do. My grandfather was in the USMC in WWII. He passed away a few weeks ago and I wanted to get some replicas made of his dog tags to wear them in his memory. I found one of the original tags, but have yet to locate the other. From what I have read online both tags are the same, so I think I should be okay. My problem is that his tags are the oval tags. I have been searching for some time to find someone that can make replicas, but can't find anybody. I know some people on this thread mentioned having a set of the old oval tags made and I was wondering if I could have some help in finding a place to get them made. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
Lucky 7th Armored

Lets try this again! :thumbsup:

Here is a setup i threw together, thought it would be fun to mess around with some gear. The Ka-bar scabbard was given to me by a friend who was a marine in the late 70's, i know it is not correct, but it is all i have.

The setup is not the "norm" but i have seen photographic evidence of similar setups! I know there isnt a cartridge belt, but just wanted to throw my M1 in there! Before the other posts vanished i remember some guys telling me to move the FA pouch under the Jungle FA pouch and since then i have done that.:) I didnt even know there was grommet holes to do that! Someone mentioned the pack looks like a depot made pack, and i think it is. It is a late war rolltop, and there are no markings of BOYT anywhere. I need to check my Grunt Gear book to see if it confirms if it is. Obviously it is a late war setup. I realize now the straps arent crossing like they should be!

The helmet cover is actually a '53 dated 2nd pattern, but the EGA is almost completely faded. But you guys didnt need to know that! ;)

The marine picked also up a war souvenir! :w00t:

post-5136-1306467349.jpg

img6653h.jpg

Haydn

RustyCanteen

Deja Vu. ;)

Very nice, when it comes to late WWII USMC equipment displays I am more in favor of the type of layout you have (no cartridge belt). Not that I am saying cartridge belts weren't used (lest someone think I am ) just that a pistol belt is a little more iconic for late PTO WWII Marines.

Lucky 7th Armored
Deja Vu. ;)

Very nice, when it comes to late WWII USMC equipment displays I am more in favor of the type of layout you have (no cartridge belt). Not that I am saying cartridge belts weren't used (lest someone think I am ) just that a pistol belt is a little more iconic for late PTO WWII Marines.

I know what you mean. I would have some ammo pouches on it, but sadly i dont have any:( Ive been meaning to pick up some carbine pouches or a 5 cell thompson pouch for a while now, just havent found any for a really decent price.

Haydn

Corpsmancollector

Haydn,

Looking great, as I previously stated! I like the period photo you posted too, the corpsman on the right has some interesting items of gear; early bunny ears haversack with name stencil, corpsman bolo and I think a handie talkie under his right arm?

If your pack has no Boyt manufacturing markings, it probably is depot made. I thought it was a bit difficult to tell without a closer inspection/pictures.

Great set up mate!

Will

Seems that my post here has been deleted ... but you had the time to read some of my comments about the FA pouch and the depot made haversack :thumbsup:

Considering the square straps ends, it's obviously a depot made haversack.

About the suspenders straps crossing, it depends on the way the haversack and suspenders are set up ... take a look to the pack manual.

Lucky 7th Armored

Will,

I love looking at period pictures, you never know what youll see!

E,

Thanks for confirming the depot made pack. Now i dont know if recall correctly, but i remember that somewhere i read that the late depot made packs are tougher to find? Just wondering.

Haydn

E,

Thanks for confirming the depot made pack. Now i dont know if recall correctly, but i remember that somewhere i read that the late depot made packs are tougher to find? Just wondering.

Depot made packs are tougher to find, regardless of the pattern because fewer were manufactured by the DQP than by Boyt Harness ... Flage Guy mentionned that even the late pattern is not easy to find ... see there > http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...76258&st=20