WWII USMC Setup

Lucky 7th Armored

Lucky 7th Armored

Hello, after reading about what the Marines went through during the Pacific theater and watching some documentaries about it i became hooked on collecting USMC gear. I acquired most of this in the past 2-3 weeks with my birthday money, so enjoy and please leave some criticism on what items i need/to change to help me get this display going right.

Things I know I need:

Boondockers

M1941 suspenders

M1 cartridge belt

bigger size usmc leggings because the ones i have are size 2! haha

HBT USMC pants

Helmet cover

So please inform me if I am missing anything else that isnt on that list!

I have another canteen cover on the way in the mail because i collect them also. The mess kit is named on everything: Gene R. Jones USMC ASN: 1128431 if anyone can find any info on him I will be very grateful!

Ill just post a few pics, ill post more later,

Haydn

post-5136-1243017656.jpg

post-5136-1243017675.jpg

Thanks again Forum Support for the canteen cover!

Greg Robinson

Welcome to the hobby of collecting USMC gear.... :D A few things you gotta have are the early pattern M1941 haversack, the USMC 1219c2 ("k-bar") knife, the early pattern non insulated canteen cover, and a poncho....either OD or camouflage. That'll give you a good start on what a WW2 gyrene had with him when he hit the beach.

Greg

Lucky 7th Armored

I actually forgot about the junglefirst aid kit, i have two of them, and could i just use the M1941 pack i have? Thanks for the info Greg adding those onto the list, do you have a photo of the canteen cover you are referring to? If so thanks!

Justin i know ha i learned quickly that it is expensive

Thanks for the comments,

Haydn

Greg Robinson
I actually forgot about the junglefirst aid kit, i have two of them, and could i just use the M1941 pack i have? Thanks for the info Greg adding those onto the list, do you have a photo of the canteen cover you are referring to? If so thanks!

Justin i know ha i learned quickly that it is expensive

Thanks for the comments,

Haydn

Haydn

Your pack is the M1941 "modified" style which saw limited use in WW2. I'd suggest looking for one that had the earlier "dog ear" flaps made either by the USMC Phila Depot or by BOYT.

Here's the canteen cover commonly referred to by collectors as the USMC "2nd pattern"....non insulated and with "high hanger" and with "lift the dot" fasteners. Generally seen in period photos with metal capped WW1 style canteen. This is a very typical canteen set used by Marines in WW2....more so than the "cross flap" which saw service in 1944-1945.

Greg

post-4-1243074121.jpg

post-4-1243074153.jpg

Greg Robinson
could i just use the M1941 pack i have? Haydn

The early pattern M1941 pack set as made by BOYT HARNESS CO. .....inkstamped on the flap "USMC / BOYT / 42".

Greg

post-4-1243079819.jpg

• 4 months later...
The Collector

Hi there nice bits of kit . I collect USMC and US army gear ( not so easy in the UK ) . Heres a pict of my later war set . (if it shows). I have lots of early stuff like the press stud canteen covers , tan tent half dog ear flap packs both Boyt and depot made.

post-4236-1255472580.jpg

:w00t: Haydn, you must've had one heckuva birthday gift to score all that nice stuff! Unbelievable :w00t:

Below is yet another variation of Marine Corps pack rig; this is one of the earliest models, made at the Marines' Quartermaster Depot with riveted-on flap buckles...

post-3226-1255483048.jpg

Lucky 7th Armored

Aha, yeah it was a nice birthday, i had a big party, and all my friends paid in cash, and i must say ebay gave me a lot of good deals, and Forum Support for the canteen cover(thanks again)

I havent gotten much USMC items since then since i am saving for the garand or carbine.

Haydn

I think that the USMC shovel covers were not stamped US. Also like the other guys pics, find USMC pattern 16 inch bayonet scabbard with leather tip, USMC camo shelter half with camo straps. Also remember that the USMC web belt for the trousers is a bit wider than the army type and the buckle is different. Very good start and happy birthday.

Lucky 7th Armored

Thanks everyone for the tips, and i forgot to mention some of the things i had before hand, such as the bayonet, holster and fighting knife, belt and 45 pouch, but still a great birthday i cant disagree! I havent gotten a lot of USMC stuff since then, it is so expensive! I have to wait till May to get a job=/ haha.

Haydn

Also the HBT shirts are both named to the same fellow, which i got both for 40.00, and he's not on the early USMC muster rolls so is there any other way to look him up? Also, one of the HBT's are the sage green and one is a brown khaki color, is one earlier then the other or what??

Thanks.

Also, one of the HBT's are the sage green and one is a brown khaki color, is one earlier then the other or what??

Thanks.

Haydn: This occurence has generally more to do with what particular bolt of fabric the pieces were cut from, rather than vintage. That's just my 2 cents, but somebody around here may know better than I on this...?

The Collector

Hi All , Are the stitched depot packs rearer than the rivited ones ? I have a couple haversacks and one lower pack both riveted buckles . I also have a lower pack thats stitched its depot marked ?

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Andy (UK)

Hi All , Are the stitched depot packs rearer than the rivited ones ? I have a couple haversacks and one lower pack both riveted buckles . I also have a lower pack thats stitched its depot marked ?

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Andy (UK)

We're discussing vintage U.S.M.C. set-ups, so you've come to the right place...

As to your question, I can only cite my own experience: I have 3 mint-condition rivet-buckle Pack sets and 1 used set, this after having passed up a good number of other examples. The Q.M. sewn-buckle rigs were another story; took me a few years to put 4 good sets together, and only 1 being mint and another excellent (pictured below). The sewn ones have been tougher for me to find- but that may just be me. My theory is that the sewn-on models were used more because they could take rougher treatment without the flap buckles being torn out, and thus are more scarce today.

post-3226-1255818888.jpg

Greg Robinson
We're discussing vintage U.S.M.C. set-ups, so you've come to the right place...

As to your question, I can only cite my own experience: I have 3 mint-condition rivet-buckle Pack sets and 1 used set, this after having passed up a good number of other examples. The Q.M. sewn-buckle rigs were another story; took me a few years to put 4 good sets together, and only 1 being mint and another excellent (pictured below). The sewn ones have been tougher for me to find- but that may just be me. My theory is that the sewn-on models were used more because they could take rougher treatment without the flap buckles being torn out, and thus are more scarce today.

yeah....those are a bit tough to find. I have two made like yours in the pic, one with stamped metal buckles and another with the early cast bronze buckles. Both use web tape stitched on the flap. But all the Depot made packs are getting hard to find, even the knapsacks. And even the early war dated Boyt packs are getting scarcer and they made a bunch of them during the war. Only Marine packs that are still pretty common are the late war Modified packs aka "roll tops". But they saw very limited use during WW2.

Greg

yeah....those are a bit tough to find. I have two made like yours in the pic, one with stamped metal buckles and another with the early cast bronze buckles. Both use web tape stitched on the flap. But all the Depot made packs are getting hard to find, even the knapsacks. And even the early war dated Boyt packs are getting scarcer and they made a bunch of them during the war. Only Marine packs that are still pretty common are the late war Modified packs aka "roll tops". But they saw very limited use during WW2.

Greg

Dittoes here; the one in the pic has stamped ladder buckles, and the mint one has cast box ones (only pic I have of it below- not very good). It took me a few years to find that one, too. I think they are scarcer than the "rivet" models.

post-3226-1255830634.jpg

A few years ago, while visiting a buddy in Missoula(we all know who that is), I told him to tell me "You should not collect Marine Corps stuff"!!!

He gave me a strange look and said shut up and buy it. At the time I was looking at a complete WW2 id'd wool USMC uniform. Since then the USMC bug has bitten and I have tried to accumulate more "Marine Corp Stuff". it is a slippery slope at best and can be quite frustrating.

History Buff...you have some really nice canteen and cover sets there...I envy you!!! Keep working at it, the stuff will come to you in time.

I have both top and bottom packs as well as both the M1941 HBT jacket/trouser in green and camo, still working on the M1944 trousers and complete camo. There are a few gear items(Boyt 44 USMC M1923 cartridge belt, shovel carrier, canteen carriers, etc.) I still need, though I am reasonably patient,so they to shall be added to "The Pile".

Cheers

Lucky 7th Armored

Thanks! ive been looking for the trousers at flea markets and thrift stores because online they go for big bucks.. And forgive my ignorance but what are you guys talking about with the riveted straps and what not on the packs?

Haydn

Thanks! ive been looking for the trousers at flea markets and thrift stores because online they go for big bucks.. And forgive my ignorance but what are you guys talking about with the riveted straps and what not on the packs?

Haydn

Haydn:

Take a look at the buckles which hold the closure flap down on the Packs in the photos above, then look at the one below. This was the first production method of attaching the buckles to the flaps, but in '42 this was discontinued because they ripped out too easily under stress. The '42 and early '43 sewn buckles were anchored on by folded strips of heavy straps of the same material as the Bedroll Straps; in late '43 they were attached to long strips of web "tape", identical to your "roll-top" Haversack.

post-3226-1255910742.jpg

Greg Robinson
AHH okay thank you! Learning new stuff everyday!

Thanks again,

Haydn

Haydn

Have you got a copy of Alec Tulkof's "Grunt Gear"? It would show a lot of what we've been discussing here and it's a terrific reference book on WW2 Marine gear.

Greg

Haydn

Have you got a copy of Alec Tulkof's "Grunt Gear"? It would show a lot of what we've been discussing here and it's a terrific reference book on WW2 Marine gear.

Greg

I will second that suggestion- no M.C. collector should be without that one...

Lucky 7th Armored

Ive been meaning to get a copy, but ive been saving for a garand or carbine, and last time i looked it was an $80.00 book, but i have heard many good things about it and have been meaning to get one. Maybe for Christmas.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Haydn