Entire WWII Medic Web Equipment Set

rambob

Sorry if this has already been covered before. Was prospecting through my collection to find a medic bag with some French markings on it and thought while I had access to it, I would snap a quick picture of the whole set. Really nothing special, except it is a complete medic bag/equipment set, with suspenders, two bags, both inserts, cantle straps and litter carrying straps. Every piece is as new as the day it was made and the laces for the bags are still knotted on as done at the factory. So except for replacing the French marked bag, which I have been thinking about doing, there is no way to upgrade these. BTW. The cantle straps came from an unissued bundle of 10 that were still tied together when I bought them from the SOS.

Regards,

Bob Law

post-299-1243011509.jpg

craig_pickrall

Bob, that is a great set. Thanks for posting the complete layout like that. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been done before on this forum.

Craig, Thanks for the kind words, especially coming from the Obi Wan of WWII militaria collecting. It took me many years and lucky breaks to assemble this complete set in mint unissued condition, so I am particulary proud of it.

Bob

craig_pickrall

I know from experience what you mean by the length of time to assemble a mint set. That gear was always tough to find in decent shape much less mint. I have some in nice condition but no where close to what you have shown.

General Apathy

Hi Bob, nice set of webbing and pouches you posted, definitely hard to get a clean set together.

I used to have boxes and boxes of those black ' plastic ' pill vials, 50 per box, I also had a good supply of the long and short straps in new condition never used, the suspenders and pouches were always difficult

Looking at the photographs I feel sure you have American manufactured bags, but one with French unit markings as you suspected, lots of them have the black stencilling sprayed over with a small panel of o.d. paint.

Cheers ( Lewis )

I have A bag so I've got a way to go. Great display. I've printed it out so I know what I'm looking for. Robert

Kenneth, Always great to hear from another Obi Wan I highly respect! Hindsight is always 20/20 and I could just shoot myself for not buying more of those black vials. Tom Gordon had them forever, 6 vials for $12.00 at The Military Marketplace and I bought at least 4 sets. Now they are at least $12.00 apiece on Epay and I realize I should have bought a buttload more of them, when I had the chance. I feel we lived through the golden age of Military Collecting over the last 20 to 30 years when the bulk of my collection was assembled without breaking the bank. Also, my friends Tom and Sharon Gordon had a great hand in filling my meager collection, with the highest caliber goods they had for sale. Now I pity the younger collectors, trying to get into the hobby, with the outrageous prices and reproductions they have to deal with, even for more "common" items.

Warmest Regards,

Bob Law

LtRGFRANK, Here is the page out of MED 3 medical catalog showing the components and their stock numbers. This is the exact page I used to guide me in assembling my set over the years. Good luck on completing your set!!

Bob

post-299-1243038976.jpg

Gunbarrel. I am glad this post was of interest for the forum. Here is the page from MED 3 that gives descriptions, prices, etc. for the stock numbers. I wish we could still buy these items at the 1944 prices!!

Bob

post-299-1243046342.jpg

subsystem4
Gunbarrel. I am glad this post was of interest for the forum. Here is the page from MED 3 that gives descriptions, prices, etc. for the stock numbers. I wish we could still buy these items at the 1944 prices!!

Bob

With inflation calculated the pouches would cost about $9.09 each today. I'd pay that.

• 13 years later...
usmc grunt

"...the laces for the bags are still knotted on as done at the factory."

I have an original set but I'm missing the 2 laces, 2 litter straps and 2 cantle straps. Question 1: Does anyone have a source for purchasing a set of original cantle straps. litter straps and laces? Question 2: What is the length of the laces and do both ends sealed to prevent fraying?

For the longest time there was a Dutch seller on Ebay who had a large quantity of inexpensive cantle straps in NOS condition. Not sure if there are any left.

I remember purchasing a set of NOS suspenders at a surplus store in Louisville for about 30 bucks back in the mid 1990s. If I had known then what I know now... there was a box full.

• 9 months later...
usmc grunt

How long are the 

On 5/22/2009 at 9:48 AM, rambob said:

Every piece is as new as the day it was made and the laces for the bags are still knotted on as done at the factory.

Bob Law

post-299-1243011509.jpg

Bob, can you post a photo of the laces, along with their length, so that those of us who need a set will know what to look for so that we get the right ones? Thanks

General Apathy
17 hours ago, usmc grunt said:

Bob, can you post a photo of the laces, along with their length, so that those of us who need a set will know what to look for so that we get the right ones? Thanks

Hi Grunt.

As required a photo of the laces and lengths,  identical cotton lace the same material as Legging laces, they are 24 / 25 inches ( 81 / 83 cms ). the laces in my items are capped at both ends, the lower on has cellulose caps, and the top one has metal caps, but thats down to manufacturers preferences.  I have seen and handled other sets of these that have obviously used legging laces with one end chopped to length. 

fullsizeoutput_2118f.jpeg.6fd3153c13547a5d723955df48ca867c.jpeg

regards lewis.

usmc grunt
3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Grunt.

As required a photo of the laces and lengths,  identical cotton lace the same material as Legging laces, they are 24 / 25 inches ( 81 / 83 cms ). the laces in my items are capped at both ends, the lower on has cellulose caps, and the top one has metal caps, but thats down to manufacturers preferences.  I have seen and handled other sets of these that have obviously used legging laces with one end chopped to length. 

fullsizeoutput_2118f.jpeg.6fd3153c13547a5d723955df48ca867c.jpeg

regards lewis.

Lewis, Thank you, sir!
This is greatly appreciated. The lace information confirms that I have the right ones. I now have the following components - photos attached:
9709500, Kit Component, Suspender
9708500, Kit Component, Pouch, with Laces, Set of 2
9706500 Cantle Ring Strap, Set of 2 

l need the following to comlete my set. I don't understand why the inserts aren't as available as the suspenders and pouches:
9708500 Kit Component, Pouch (Tablet Vial Insert)
9707000 Kit Component, Insert, Type I (3 Pocket Sleeve Insert)
9708000 Kit Component, Litter Strap, Set of 2

97065 Cantle Ring Strap (01).jpg

97085, Kit Component, Pouch Set Laces 01.jpg

97085, Kit Component, Pouch, Left 01.jpg

97085, Kit Component, Pouch, Left 02.jpg

97085, Kit Component, Pouch, Right 01.jpg

97085, Kit Component, Pouch, Right 02.jpg

97095, Kit Component, Suspender 01.jpg

97095, Kit Component, Suspender 02.jpg

General Apathy
1 hour ago, usmc grunt said:

Lewis, Thank you, sir!
This is greatly appreciated. The lace information confirms that I have the right ones. I now have the following components - photos attached:
9709500, Kit Component, Suspender
9708500, Kit Component, Pouch, with Laces, Set of 2
9706500 Cantle Ring Strap, Set of 2 

l need the following to comlete my set. I don't understand why the inserts aren't as available as the suspenders and pouches:
9708500 Kit Component, Pouch (Tablet Vial Insert)
9707000 Kit Component, Insert, Type I (3 Pocket Sleeve Insert)
9708000 Kit Component, Litter Strap, Set of 2

97065 Cantle Ring Strap (01).jpg

97085, Kit Component, Pouch Set Laces 01.jpg

Hi MC Grunt,

a pleasure, thank you for the reply,  of course once you get all the parts you require for this set, then you might want to start searching for all the earlier examples, like the bags with leather strap, and all the harness and straps with cast-metal clips instead of the pressed-metal clips.

And then of course don't forget to look for all the pieces for a set of USN/USMC Corpsman medical bags.

After all my years collecting I have always wondered why none of this medical kit was manufacturer or date marked,  the same as most other pieces of U.S. equipment were marked and stamped. 

fullsizeoutput_211bf.jpeg.7a8c7b9940975d8a15ff91a213693654.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_211c1.jpeg.ec003a98be847c93de73839f23bb918e.jpeg

Happy hunting, regards lewis.

• 4 weeks later...
usmc grunt
On 2/14/2024 at 9:40 AM, General Apathy said:

Lewis, what is the extended length of the litter straps?