us army ranger about late 80s beginning of 90s

msgt norway

msgt norway

made some pictures today,us army rangers.

have been thinking about it for some time so today i did B)

i know i didnt camo face, il do another photo shoot later in the summer.

ranger4.jpg

ranger5.jpg

ranger6.jpg

ranger7.jpg

ranger9.jpg

cheers from ken

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Gotta have a tab on that patrol cap.

A "tabber" would be a minimum of an E-3 but more likely at least an E-4.

Need to lose the mustache.

Camoflauge.

The Scroll shold be the old school scroll.

The buttpack is nice but they carried large rucks.

Rock

Gotta have a tab on that patrol cap.

A "tabber" would be a minimum of an E-3 but more likely at least an E-4.

Need to lose the mustache.

Camoflauge.

The Scroll shold be the old school scroll.

The buttpack is nice but they carried large rucks.

Rock

Pretty Good general impression, I agree with SGT ROCK, but you need to also lose the USMC 1st Aid Kit, plus you need "Cat Eyes" on the rear of the patrol cap, depending what position you hold in the element. (SQ LDR, RTO, etc.) As for the OD tape on the front foreguards of your M4, most troops used "irregular" patterns of tape or spray paint on the stock and surface areas, I know that we did when I was in the 82ND AB and deployed to Grenada back in 1983.

Hell, Some of us DID actually spray paint some of our OG-107's / Jungle Rips along with our web and ALICE gear, because we had a mixture of uniforms. I sold a set of my J-RIPS about 5 years ago on EBAY and got an INSANE PRICE for them, just because they were "documented combat worn" threads.

Just my $.02's worth of info,

Adam

hawkdriver

Can't see the suspender clips, but by the way the belt is held up, you are using the metal clips. Cut them off, then use 550 cord to tie through the pistol belt, up through the suspender loop, then back to the pistol belt making a "Y" suspension. This allowed for the belt to be slackened up and worn unbuckled. Not everyone did this, but it was quite common practice. I used to have a picture of it, but can't seem to find it now.

msgt norway

the paracord trick,got a few books from the old Ranger Rick that lives in italy

i think or he moved back to the usa.

theres a writing of how it was Ranger prepped.

any other items or thing to do/fix to make it more ranger?

ken

hawkdriver

I just noticed that you use the elastic keepers for the strap ends, get rid of those and use tape, Rangers love to tape the crap out of everything. If you do use the metal keepers, tape them. If I didn't say it already, tape.

Oh, ya, you need a pig sticker of some kind, and tape it.

seems like i need more 100mph tape :D

btw do any have extra cat eyes for sale?

ken

Send me your address and I'll GIVE you some EYES, no charge at all. Make sure that you have a CURRENT reference guide or talk to an "Active Tabber" to find out what shapes to cut the tape into for your cap to match your position.

Adam

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Pic of the old school 1st Ranger Batt patch

1strangerbatt.jpg

Get yourself a Large ruck, some rappelling rope, a caribeanor and paint those foregrips. It would be more appropriate to *not* wear BDU's. The Rangers of the 70's and 80's wore rip stop jungle fatigues primarily. Green patrol caps also.

Rock

msgt norway

anyone have a sett of od bdus in size large regular or medium regular

for sale?

old school ranger scroll are interresting to.

extra ranger tabs to.

and thank you al for the feedback,it helps me improve my impressions

and feeds my collector hunger :)

ken

msgt norway

just won this on ebay today

BRBINhwBmkKGrHgoOKisEjlLl5Pu2BJ71gs.jpg

its a 1951 pattern made in 1957,gues i can use that for my od ranger impression?

ken

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

These uniforms were surplus from the Vietnam War. Initially, only SF and Rangers units used them into the 80's, but with the Communist push in the Carribean and Central American, they issued them to the 82nd AB. I have two original patched up 3rd pattern Jungle Fats, some BDU's, M65 Green jacket and my class A's among other stuff.

Here's you go on the Ranger uniforms

I believe that this is Grenada

johndonnellyranger.jpg

Garrison

2.jpg

Stading by in the ORP

3.jpg

Go ahead and keep the stash,just trim it up proper.They are correct about the scroll. I am a bit mystifyed by the first aid pouch concern,as it looks identical to my issue pouch which I just went and looked at.I admit I don't know much about the Rangers after I left Ft. Lewis in 84,but I hung out with Bravo's heavy weapons platoon prior to that.They did mostly wear ripstop stuff,but as they were the primary testing guys for the BDUs in late 82 and were the first issuees of same, I remember them wearing them alot,but always with their tabbed od patrol hats or berets ( black ones! back then you had to earn them not just enlist). As a side note,they also tested the goretex in early 83 on the glacier side of Mt. Ranier,on a climb to the peak.I thought I would freeze to death in as I was only in OG's with a 65 field jacket and combat boots.

Friction tape was more popular then duct tape for most things as it wasn't shiny green.I think that last pic is actually Panama as the MG isn't an M-60,which was 2nd of 75th's to&e MG.Sorry to have rambled on,I turn the thread back to you younger troops.

P.S. Please on this Memorial Day remember Mark Yumani,he was killed on Grenada,was a great Ranger and an incredible friend!

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
Go ahead and keep the stash,just trim it up proper.They are correct about the scroll. I am a bit mystifyed by the first aid pouch concern,as it looks identical to my issue pouch which I just went and looked at.I admit I don't know much about the Rangers after I left Ft. Lewis in 84,but I hung out with Bravo's heavy weapons platoon prior to that.They did mostly wear ripstop stuff,but as they were the primary testing guys for the BDUs in late 82 and were the first issuees of same, I remember them wearing them alot,but always with their tabbed od patrol hats or berets ( black ones! back then you had to earn them not just enlist). As a side note,they also tested the goretex in early 83 on the glacier side of Mt. Ranier,on a climb to the peak.I thought I would freeze to death in as I was only in OG's with a 65 field jacket and combat boots.

Friction tape was more popular then duct tape for most things as it wasn't shiny green.I think that last pic is actually Panama as the MG isn't an M-60,which was 2nd of 75th's to&e MG.Sorry to have rambled on,I turn the thread back to you younger troops.

P.S. Please on this Memorial Day remember Mark Yumani,he was killed on Grenada,was a great Ranger and an incredible friend!

He's got a 1/75th scroll and they rarely if ever wore their BDU's. If he's doing 1/75th, that is. Friction tape is the way to go. The picture is likely a Post Grenada picture (84 to 86) because they started issuing the M249 Saw right after Grenada. It was to replace the AR in each squad that was issued a bipod. More firepower and we still kept our MG teams so we had two SAW's per squad plus the M60's. Our firepower was increased. The SAW gunner was reponsible for his own ammo and gun. He didn't have an AG because the SAW was smaller and lighter than an M60. Basically, a SAW gunner was equivalent to a BAR gunner of WWII. One guy, one gun.

Rock

Also, please remember two of my friends KIA on Grenada, CPT. Michael Ritz, (25 OCT 83) and SSG Gary Epps (26 OCT 83) Two DAMN FINE INDIVIDUALS whom I shall NEVER forget.. salute.gif

Adam

BRAVO COMPANY

2/325TH AIR

82ND AIRBORNE DIVISION

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

RIP Paratroopers! They were ambushed while performing a leaders recon. They will not be forgotten.

Rock

RIP Paratroopers! They were ambushed while performing a leaders recon. They will not be forgotten.

Rock

Yes, WE were ambushed.

Even though we are largely forgotten by the passage of time, and how others think that " :lol: it wasn't REALLY a war ! :lol: " as I have heard and have been told, my memories remain fresh and come EVERY DAY that I breathe, just as they have for 25 years.

I CANNOT forget.

Adam

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
Yes, WE were ambushed.

Even though we are largely forgotten by the passage of time, and how others think that " :lol: it wasn't REALLY a war ! :lol: " as I have heard and have been told, my memories remain fresh and come EVERY DAY that I breathe, just as they have for 25 years.

I CANNOT forget.

Adam

None of us that were on that Island will forget. RIP SEALS, Rangers, and Paratroopers.

Rock

These uniforms were surplus from the Vietnam War. Initially, only SF and Rangers units used them into the 80's, but with the Communist push in the Carribean and Central American, they issued them to the 82nd AB. I have two original patched up 3rd pattern Jungle Fats, some BDU's, M65 Green jacket and my class A's among other stuff.

Stading by in the ORP

3.jpg

Rock

That is an FN Minimi, any idea when that pic was taken? I did not think it was in the inventory in the USAR when 107s were still around.

T-Bone

CamoDeafie

hope its ok to jump in this thread with one of my rigs that i put together, supposedly the H harness with spraypaint and 550 cord were used in Bosnia..... (SUPPOSEDLY) I had doubts though,.

IMG00540.jpg

IMG00541.jpg

IMG00536.jpg

IMG00537.jpg

IMG00538.jpg

IMG00539.jpg

basically 4 M16 pouches, 2 SAW ammo pouches (shoulda been 2 canteens), a buttpack, a 1st aid kit pouch, and a Jungle First Aid (usmc?) pouch are all seen on this i think...the belt padding fit the sewn loops on the M1956 H harness, which had been modified to allow this and a bunch of 550 cord.. i know this isnt exactly a correct look, but it is a hypothetical thing...as i found 2 qt canteens fit the saw ammo pouches just fine