Found these today. Cavalry Harnesses?

Teamski

I found these at the local flea market this morning. They are what looks to be Cavalry Harnesses. The one is obviously Cavalry, but I don't know about the head harness. Can anybody tell me about these? I assume WWI era, but I couldn't tell you for sure. Any value? Thanks!!

-Ski

post-3043-1243003664.jpg

oldfireguy

There is no doubt an official military term for these but they appear to be a set of blinders for a mule or horse. They go along the side of their head to keep the animal looking straight forward. There not just limited to cavalry units because any animal pulling a wagon, gun, ambulance, you name it would have had a set of these on. I've heard the bit referred to as a snaffle bit. As to the worth I won't even guess because I almost always guess to low. Around here they sell for around $50 but yours appears to have a broken strap or two. The ones that I have seen up close almost always have an inspectors mark and date so look at the straps well.

jayhawkhenry

Those are indeed blinders used on draft animals. One set is military issue the other is civilian. If the bits are military they will be marked U.S. and may have an arsenal marking on the rings. The snaffle bit was used on draft horses and mules. It most likely dates from WWI period.

Nice find.

Thanks for the help guys. Where does the US marked one go on a horse? After getting them, I checked the internet and I also think the harness with the blinders is civilian.

-Ski

oldfireguy

It goes over the head and runs down the side of the face. The blinder goes next to the eye. It's missing some of the other head gear that all attaches as a group.