Packing a Parachute

Rifleman_D

Rifleman_D

Hey everybody, I was given a WWII Parachute, I believe it to be a pilot's or a co-pilot's and though I don't have pictures of it yet I was hoping someone knew how to repack it. Just the main chute and drone chute have been let out and not all of the ropes(some are still packed nicely inside.) It seems pretty complete looks like there is maybe a reserve and a seat chute with the harnesses all attached. Like I said I know it's kind of hard without pictures but do any of you have an idea as to the best way to re pack this thing?

Rifleman D, if you can find a copy of Poynter's Parachute Manual, that should cover it. Otherwise most skydiving riggers should

be able to help you out. Is there a data label on the container or harness at all? That might help us help you.

Rifleman_D

Thanks for the fast replies guys. I seen a little pouch where a packing booklet or something of the sort should have been but there is no packet. I will be getting a hold of Rob and that manual as those seem to be the best bet. Thanks again!

Been there, done that. Parachute packing is a bit of an art. Also, to do it cleanly you need a large, dry, open, flat area to work on. (Can you say "high school gym?") You can save a TON of aggravation by taking the rig to your area skydiving club.

Tom

Been there, done that. Parachute packing is a bit of an art. Also, to do it cleanly you need a large, dry, open, flat area to work on. (Can you say "high school gym?") You can save a TON of aggravation by taking the rig to your area skydiving club.

Tom

I taught myself how to pack the German RZ-20 Fallschirmjager chute, and a T-10 Static Line Deployed Main...they pack remarkably similiar.

Real riggers get to use a LONG table to stretch out the canopy with clamps and shot bags to help, I did mine on the driveway on a sunny day. Its VERY hard on the knees and back without the table!

The nice thing about re-packing for display as opposed to packing one you or someone else will be staking their lives on is close enough is good enough! Untangling the suspension lines can be a bear, and when packing the canopy into the D-bag can sort of be like shoving 10lbs of stuff in a 5lb bag, especially with the RZ-20!

There is a couple of books out there in addition to RTS's suggestion of Poynters manual....the one I bought was "Axis Troop Type Parachutes", the authors name escapes me right now, but its a great book, and goes step by step on packing the RZ-20...he also has one for Allied Troop Type Chutes which I would expect is as good. You can find them on eBay...

I have a thread on my T-10 packing adventure on this forum, probably a few pages back by now....