scan10038.jpg

Hi all,

another Chaplain wings I think it's a fake for the below reasons:

a) looks to be treated with some acid to look older

B) seems to be a cast manifacture

c) the pin seems to be soldered after the treatment with the acid

Am I wrong ? Waiting for comments...

militarymodels
The cross is 14k gold and the badge sterling.

Are we talking about the authenticity of the wings or are we talking about the contents of the gold and silver? For collectors, I don't think the contents matter much unless they want to scrap their collection for the gold and silver value IMO.

88thcollector
The cross is 14k gold and the badge sterling.

Please explain to me one more time why collectors would be more confused by your fakes if they were marked "REPRODUCTION." I just can't understand why marking them would them more attractive to crooked dealers. Could you run it by me one more time? As I understand it, stamping them "repro" would make a dishonest seller think "great, these wings are clearly marked reproduction. I will buy these so I can spend a lot of time filling in the mark (or grinding it off) and re-patinating the entire wing rather than buy these other fake wings that are not marked "repro" and are ready to be sold on ebay immediately."

I just can't comprehend why you think adding the complex step of removing a mark would make your products more attractive to dishonest dealers. Duncan Campbell may have said it but he was wrong. You should mark them "reproduction" and take off any fake maker's mark.

Steve

Please explain to me one more time why collectors would be more confused by your fakes if they were marked "REPRODUCTION." I just can't understand why marking them would them more attractive to crooked dealers. Could you run it by me one more time? As I understand it, stamping them "repro" would make a dishonest seller think "great, these wings are clearly marked reproduction. I will buy these so I can spend a lot of time filling in the mark (or grinding it off) and re-patinating the entire wing rather than buy these other fake wings that are not marked "repro" and are ready to be sold on ebay immediately."

I just can't comprehend why you think adding the complex step of removing a mark would make your products more attractive to dishonest dealers. Duncan Campbell may have said it but he was wrong. You should mark them "reproduction" and take off any fake maker's mark.

Steve

I agree with steve on this one brian

Without being completely ignorant and truly desiring to understand this, I would have to agree with the other guys, why does this make sense? I collect helmets. If a liner was once an Inland Para Liner and someone scraped off the "Inland" logo, it would call it into question that it might be a fake. It certainly wouldn't add to the value.

I am not in any way trying to be malicious in my question, as I'm aware of this conversation in other threads in which this type of question was asked in an argumentative and aggressive way. But, I seriously can't understand the line of thinking concerning the removal of the word: Reproduction making a fake seem real anymore than it would make sense to file off the word: Sterling, on an original set of wings. Am I making sense here? :blink:

Steve