Mystery SMG Mag Pouch - Thompson Reising ???

Sgt. Boghots

Sgt. Boghots

post-6057-1242707378.jpg

I've had this pouch for years, after finding it amongst some vet's items at a sale long ago. - As you can see, it's about 1-1/2 times the size of an M-1 carbine mag carrier of nearly identical style.

This mag carrier has not trace or marks from ever having been used, so there goes that clue. Further, although it appears to be precisely manufactured, and not "Rigger Made", it bears no mfg's markings.

It's a great early OD3 (?) shade of color, and just as it appears in the pictures.

Every now and then, I go through the gear and this thing turns up . . . each time I hit a dead end.

The answer is probably so obvious I'll feel stupid when it's pointed out. But I'll try to take it on the chin !!

Thanks for the help in advance.

Best regards,

Paul

craig_pickrall

I saw those at shows for many years in good quantity but never bought one. I always figured they were made for the civilian market. I don't recall ever seeing any that weren't new.

I'm thinking Original 30 rd Mag for M2 Carbines. Should hold 2 X30rd Mags

If you look at the thickness of the pouch in question, compared to the thickness of the 15 rd Carbine pocket, you will note that it is too thick for a mag per side.

30 rd carbine mags are the same thickness as 15 round mags. It would have to be 2 mags per side for a total of 4 mag.

However I seriously have my doubts about this pouch.

There is no date or manufacturer.

The U.S. stamping looks weird (it might be the space between the letters) as does the canvas.

Also there is speciously no wear on the LTD compared to the 15 rd carbine pouch's LTD. Could it be an enamel type finish?

Greg Robinson

Paul

I thought your pouch looked familiar so I did some digging among my old pic files and finally found something that looks very familiar to yours. It was offered to me by a guy I used to do militaria business with.....an Army officer who had a part time business going selling militaria. He was a stand up guy and I never doubted him when he said he believed it was a legit 30 round carbine pouch. But there was one small problem....actually not that small when you applied logic and a dose of common sense......his pouch was dated 1943.....long before the adoption of the M2 Carbine and 30 round magazines. And I _think_ the maker name was AVERY. On another forum I showed it to Bill Ricca who'se forgotten more about the Carbine and accessories than I'll ever know and he called it a fake. So I suggested it might be a prototype item made for testing....and Bill said no way. So dispite thinking it was a neat item and despite trusting the seller when he said it was legit.....I let it slide.

I've attached the pic sent to me by the seller.

Greg

post-4-1242765255.jpg

Sgt. Boghots

Hello Greg,

I agree with you about Bill Ricca's expertise on carbine related matters.

Because of its similarity in style, the carbine was my first inclination too. But there's been so much written and photographed regarding the M-1 carbine, that if that were the pouch's use, I would think that it would have shown up in period pictures or referenced somewhere. - I sure haven't seen any.

While the 30 rd. mags do fit fairly well, it may be a misleading coincidence. The extra width of the cells does accomodate the angle of the 30 rd. magazine, where of course a cell of the same width and thickness of the 15 rd. carriers wouldn't work.

The one you posted Greg appears to be OD 7 shade, and it also has the grommets in the bottom for an additional suspension item. - And the U.S. in the one you've pictured is a style seen on several other items.

My pouch and the one in your photo are both well made and not free-hand stitched by someone in their garage.

I'm still going to keep mine in the mystery pile . . .

Best regards,

Paul

Sgt. Boghots
If you look at the thickness of the pouch in question, compared to the thickness of the 15 rd Carbine pocket, you will note that it is too thick for a mag per side.

30 rd carbine mags are the same thickness as 15 round mags. It would have to be 2 mags per side for a total of 4 mag.

However I seriously have my doubts about this pouch.

There is no date or manufacturer.

The U.S. stamping looks weird (it might be the space between the letters) as does the canvas.

Also there is speciously no wear on the LTD compared to the 15 rd carbine pouch's LTD. Could it be an enamel type finish?

I concur about the space between the letters, and they are pretty wide vs. their height.

The female LTD is blued like domed snaps are, and not enameled.

The shade and weight of canvas is nearly identical to that used on a number of USMC Phila. Depot mfg.d pieces of gear.

The tension, timing and stitch size on the outside binding of my pouch aren't up to the standard of most pieces of frequently seen equipage, but overall the stitching is a good as much of the USMC depot equipment.

*** I am NOT trying to imply that this is a USMC depot piece; I'm just using some characteristics of that gear for comparison, that's what my particular pouch more closely resembles. ***

Thanks to all for the discussion ! - That's one of the things I really appreciate about these forums.

Best regards,

Paul

Sgt. Boghots

More information this evening.

I checked two things:

4 - 30 rd. mag's fit perfectly; two per cell or side.

And the LTD snap is the same type - unmarked, "blued" finish - as on my USMC Depot mfg'd. grenade pouches, that goe on the belt and tie to the leg.

? ? ? ?

Paul