Photo: AAF Dauntless in Army Green

M60 Driver

An ol pal really liked this photo of an AAF SBD Dauntless in, what he claimed was hard to find, Army green colors. The photo was a bit faded so I did take the liberty of increasing the contrast.

post-779-1176243997.jpg

Nice shot!

This is an A-24 Banshee, the AAF version of the SBD. This particular ship looks to be an A-24B. (equivalent to the SBD-5)

Photos of these birds are indeed a bit harder to find than most USAAF aircraft, although they're not as scarce these days as they once were.

I wonder what unit this ship was from. The photo was obviously taken somewhere cold. The marking 'X 67' would seem to indicate a training unit, and 'X' was a prefix for Luke Field, but that doesn't jive with the apparent cold climate. I wonder if there were other fields which used the same prefix? I'll try and find out more about this bird...

Thanks for posting this!

Fade to Black...

This was one of several photos I have of the 406th FG during training prior to deployment in England. A few years ago I posted some of the photos of the pilots on the armyairforces.com website under the 406th which are still there. In the collection are several pictures from training in Colorado. If there is interest I would be happy to post the pictures in a dedicated thread here as well, although it will take some time to scan all the pics. As with the photo above, some may see interest where I am blind. My pal is a modeler of some fame and has a very different take on what is interesting than I.

By the way, one of the most rewarding things I have done was to be able to return some of the solo photos of the pilots who never returned back to their surviving family members.

• 2 years later...
Johnny Signor

some of the early Bombardment Groups had a few A-24s when they were "Light" Bomber units,they didn't have them long, I do believe one was in the Aluetians area. this could have been one possibly on testing there for feaseability.