Something you dont see everyday.

KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

Here is a time capsule that has never been touched!

It is an original American Red Cross Prisoner of War Medical Kit NO. 4 carton with all of its original contents. These boxes were sent to POW's in Europe and Asia during WWII. Have have seen quite a few Red Cross food cartons , but this is the first medical carton I have ever seen . It has never been touched and the contents have never even been taken out of the box.

It even has 2 cans of DDT in it. I don't think I will be opening them.

MVC_001L.JPG

MVC_002L.JPG

MVC_003L.JPG

Old Marine

You are right, you don't see things like that every day, or ever. That's amazing. Where does untouched stuff like that come from? How did it survive intact all these years?

I'd be afraid to take it out of the box too, you'd probably never get it back in.

Thanks for showing that.

Love the kit!! Interesting description about what Cathartic Compound was used for. A laxative!?! With what POW's were probably fed during their captivity, I would think that the opposite, "Hersey Squirts" condition would be a lot more of a problem. I think they would have actually needed something like "Cork in a Bottle"!!

Very cool. that's museum quality. By the way, the 8th Air force museum in Savannah has a great POW exhibit.

Sgt. Boghots

Very nice box, Kurt. - Like you, I've seen empties of one sort or another over the years, but not one with complete contents.

I just finished reading a book about the survivors of the USS TANG. Both in German and Japanese camps, so much Red Cross stuff was kept from the prisoners.... The contents of that box could have saved live, and eased suffering.

Just speculating here, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that your box was one of many found locked away from the prisoners upon liberation of a camp somewhere. That box would have been worth gold to a camp medic or doctor.

Thanks for showing it, Kurt.

Best regards,

Paul Walker

p.s. - Long time, no see ! Hope all is well with you. I'm no longer in Medford or Eugene, but in Klamath Falls.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
KASTAUFFER
Very nice box, Kurt. - Like you, I've seen empties of one sort or another over the years, but not one with complete contents.

I just finished reading a book about the survivors of the USS TANG. Both in German and Japanese camps, so much Red Cross stuff was kept from the prisoners.... The contents of that box could have saved live, and eased suffering.

Just speculating here, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that your box was one of many found locked away from the prisoners upon liberation of a camp somewhere. That box would have been worth gold to a camp medic or doctor.

Thanks for showing it, Kurt.

Best regards,

Paul Walker

p.s. - Long time, no see ! Hope all is well with you. I'm no longer in Medford or Eugene, but in Klamath Falls.

Paul

Hey Paul! Good to hear from you.

It has been a long time! I havent been down to the stomping days of old for a while. I see Gritsch once in a while when he makes it up this direction.

Kurt