Sign in to follow this  
kfields

.30 Caliber bandoleer question...

I picked up the bottom bandoleer (empty) this morning for a buck. As I find these, I'll buy them and fill them up with ammo and store them that way just for fun. I noticed that when I filled it up and compared it to one of my other bandoleers, it was obviously much smaller than the newer one (top). Both are unmarked but did they change size dimensions as time went by? Is the bottom one WW2 vintage?

Just curious. thanks! Kim

post-60-1242586909.jpg

post-60-1242586941.jpg

A member of this fine site since December 16, 2006....Member # 60

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

The bottom bandoleer looks to be of ww2 vintage. The color, size, and lack of markings leads me to believe this. Yes, dimensions have changed considerably over the years. Bandoleer's were originally much smaller, because people back then were typically smaller, skinnier, just in better shape over all, than people are today. If you were to order a bandoleer from What Pricey Glory(www.onlinemilitaria.net), it would be about two to three times the size of an original, because today's manufacturers compensate for bigger people, I usually have to cut and resew my reproductions or use a safety pin.

Im not sure about the originality of the one one the bottom, but it does look just like the couple that I purchsed

from What Price Glory.

M1Bandolier.jpg

Actually, its not a very good picture, they look like just like yours in person.

"The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

The strap on yours looks much larger than the one on the bandoleer in question.

Thanks fellas. I know what you mean about the size of guys back then. Yes we have gotten larger!

I did purchase this particular bandoleer at a once-a-week outdoor in the grass flea market this morning from a guy who also had some miscellaneous fatigues from the 50's. I'm certain he probably wouldn't have know the difference between a bandoleer from a bangalore! I suspected it was original but just wasn't sure of the vintage.

I appreciate your inputs! Kim

A member of this fine site since December 16, 2006....Member # 60

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I've noticed differences in bandoleer size also, but really only two size variations of unmarked OD#3 bandoleers.

I don't know if this is so, but I noticed that '03 clips fit the larger ones perfect, and M1 clips fit the smaller ones perfectly. I've been separating my bandoleers for some time like this and have been putting the appropriate ammo in each and packing them in cans.

Any thoughts ?

Sorry, no refunds on opinions...............have a nice day

This computin' machine has got alotta buttons on it...........................where's the "ANY" key?

I looked through my photos of bandoleers and thought this one answers your question. All 3 bandoleers are late war and had the clip box to fit the M1 8 RD clip. All 3 are different sizes and strap configurations. I have many others including pre WW2 and sizes, colors and straps vary all over the place.

post-5-1242748507.jpg

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.