Nam enough?

ABrangerjoe

ABrangerjoe

Hey all you Vietnam reenactors out there, I've collected a few Vietnam items and I'm thinking about doing some impressions. I live down here in Florida and the closest I can get to Vietnam is mangroves and my back yard, does this look close enough to be Vietnam? opinions welcome

post-5137-1242583254.jpg

post-5137-1242583435.jpg

yes, reminds me of the IRON TRIANGLE

The Iron Triangle was a 60 square mile (155 km²) area in the Binh Duong province of Vietnam, so named due to it being a stronghold of Viet Minh activity ...

post-1885-1242594239.jpg

ABrangerjoe

I just need a few more things for my display and then I'll go out there and post some pics.

Corpsmancollector
I just need a few more things for my display and then I'll go out there and post some pics.

Looking forward to it!

Will

• 2 weeks later...
YankeeDiv26

0oooh, I'm jealous w00t.gif For a New Englander like me, it's hard to find anything that looks like it could be in Vietnam.

-Tim

vivera1288

Just dont make the same mistake the movie Forest Gump did and have palmetto cabbage showing.

Are you part of the reenacting group based out of Tampa? We do WW2 and Vietnam. Here's our WW2 website:

http://101st506hrs.org/index.html

We also do Vietnam during the Summer, when the terrain matches the 'Nam landscape. Here's an album from our training weekend at Dead River Park in Thonotosassa:

2074112990010420891DBelFK_th.jpg

As you can see, Dead River makes a pretty good Vietnam-ish swamp. We're working on getting a tactical set up soon.

ABrangerjoe

I am not a part of the group but that sounds interesting! I might be able to join but most of my time is taken up by school and JROTC. I'll look in to it! Thanks thumbsup.gif

ABrangerjoe

I'll post some pics of all my stuff soon, just have to gather it all up. I don't have much just a few jungle jackets, flak vest, steel pot, jungle boots, belt + suspenders, and a Vietcong flag given to me from a vet. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow thumbsup.gif

-Joe

ABrangerjoe
I'll post some pics of all my stuff soon, just have to gather it all up. I don't have much just a few jungle jackets, flak vest, steel pot, jungle boots, belt + suspenders, and a Vietcong flag given to me from a vet. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow thumbsup.gif

-Joe

Here is another picture of where I'm going to try to do some impression shots. Don't know about the palms, though

post-5137-1244062254.jpg

yes, reminds me of the IRON TRIANGLE

The Iron Triangle was a 60 square mile (155 km²) area in the Binh Duong province of Vietnam, so named due to it being a stronghold of Viet Minh activity ...

Looks like around Ocala and back side of Camp Blanding in Summer.

T-Bone

ABrangerjoe

Here are a few of my Vietnam items, not much. I just bought an OD jungle jacket on Ebay- haven't got it yet. Just a few things. ;)

post-5137-1244155655.jpg

post-5137-1244155686.jpg

Nice ERDL jacket. I would take that skull pin off the flak, it doesn't look Nam era at all, and kinda silly IMO.

Grizzly Adams

I hope this is not OT, or misunderstood........

I just want to say that I appreciate what your doing, but it sure makes me feel old! :rolleyes: I have always thought of reenacting as something that recreated history like the American Civil War or maybe WW1. I'm not being critical, it's just that when folks start reenacting Vietnam pinch.gif - well I'm not ready to be a relic from a chapter in a history book! :lol:

Good luck with your impression. Have fun, learn, and share the history with all who will listen. thumbsup.gif

Here is another picture of where I'm going to try to do some impression shots. Don't know about the palms, though

I operated in the hills of northern I Corps and don't remember seeing much in the way of palms. They'd probably be OK if you're trying to represent the Delta.

Here's a couple of my shots of northern I Corps.

Top shot is one of the areas we patrolled that were sprayed with Agent Orange. Agent Orange is no joke. I suffer from effects of exposure to it today.

#2 and 3 are from deep in the Arizona Valley in late Jul 67. #3 was taken down in the valley as we encountered a small ville and it's the only place where I remember any palm-like vegetation.

#4 was taken from the old French resort at Ba Na. as you can see, it's almost totally overgrown.

This is all I have room for here...will attach a couple more in a follow-on post.

post-1107-1244206674.jpg

post-1107-1244206684.jpg

post-1107-1244206689.jpg

post-1107-1244206695.jpg

Here's some more. The two on top were taken on Charlie Ridge. The bottom one was taken in Hiep Duc in July of 67. the little space between the two trees where my M-60 in sitting was the main trail.

post-1107-1244207157.jpg

post-1107-1244207162.jpg

post-1107-1244208473.jpg

And more...

Top was taken atop the highest hill (Don Den) in Elephant Valley where we maintained a radio relay. A seem to remember the radios were manned by comms guys but there was always a Recon team up there for security.

#2 is me in elephant Vally trying to figure out just where we were.

#3 is me bleeding from fragmentation wounds. It doesn't show all that much of the vegetation other than providing a general feel of how thick and dark it was under the triple-canopy jungle.

#4 is me and a dog handler and his dog. I seem to remember this was taken in Happy Valley in about Nov 76.

#5 & 6 were taken in northwestern Thua Thien province in late Jan 68....just before the Tet offensive in Hue.

I think this is enough to portray the type of vegitation in northern I Corps.

post-1107-1244207703.jpg

post-1107-1244207722.jpg

post-1107-1244207729.jpg

post-1107-1244207737.jpg

post-1107-1244207761.jpg

post-1107-1244207767.jpg

ABrangerjoe

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures, and your service to this great country.

Semper Fidelis

-Joe

nguoi tien su

Nam landscape can vary a lot depending on the location you go.

The place you show can be a good background for the Delta as Bill suggested, but also for the 3 borders area.

That will be a nice place to reenact Laos as well.

NTS