Anti-Axis Drinking Glass

siege1863

Love those anti-axis items from the war. Amazing how many different things like this were produced. Great this glass is still intact and not faded out. Good job!

This drinking glass made by Libbey Glass stands 6" tall. Not often seen in this condition!

post-211-1242572541.jpgpost-211-1242572859.jpg

For your information, glasses like this have often retained their full color without any fading or chipping as the images are usually silk screened on with porcelein glass enamel then fired in a kiln which fuses the image with colored glass particles onto the glassware rather than a mere painted on coating. It's the same as antique soda and milk bottles. Those are often found faded and scratched as they were found outside, in a dump or exposed to the sun for decades. Items like your glass are usually found in cabinets or at least inside a house.

It amazes me on how much of this stuff was manufactured and sold during WW2 and how little of it survives today.

Your glass is one of the neatest I've seen.

Thanks for the comments, guys! When I saw this just listed on ebay as a "buy it now" for $9.99, I new I had to jump on it!

I have seen many glasses not quite as old that are faded or missing design. This is often attributed to repeated use and washing. This glass might rate a 98%.

• 1 month later...
Homefrontguy

Wow. $9.99 is a fantastic buy!!! I have several anti-axis glasses in my collection and this by far was the toughest to acquire. I paid much more for mine ... if I find the original price, I will post it, but I am sure you got a deal. Great Piece. Great Buy.

Cheers,

Jim

Homefrontguy

PS - For those new, here is my website on Anti Axis Items

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzetqw5o/antiaxispropaganda/