1942 gear receipt

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

Here is a piece of paperwork that I thought would be of interest to collectors of field gear. This is a memorandum receipt (debit slip) for all of the gear issued to a U.S. Army Lieutenant dated September, 1942. I like how his sub-machine gun was almost an afterthought, placed at the bottom of the list bellow his pillow case. Also note his Hamiliton watch hand written in at the bottom. Another point of interest is the nomenclature used to describe each item. I photograped the receipt in 3 parts for ease of reading.

post-168-1242510334.jpg

something to note from back in the day is that the officers were issued two shelterhalves ,poles pins etc.. so they could remain seperate from" lower ranks"....this all changed after ww2 in (the reforms of the day) some of the negitive feed back from lower E.M's. on the way they were treated by officers...vince g. 11b inf.

hawkdriver

It did? Once I got my commission and after I reverted to Warrant, I have always had two shelter halves complete up until they quit issuing them.

Fixbayonets!

Note how he was issued 2 canteens, 2 canteen covers and 1 canteen cup. The issue (or acquiring) of 2 canteens is more often associated with medics/corpsman or troops island hopping in the PTO. This Lt. served in the ETO and would soon be on his way to North Africa to take part in Operation Torch. It may also explain why canteen sets are sometimes found missing the cup.

Note how he was issued 2 canteens, 2 canteen covers and 1 canteen cup. The issue (or acquiring) of 2 canteens is more often associated with medics/corpsman or troops island hopping in the PTO. This Lt. served in the ETO and would soon be on his way to North Africa to take part in Operation Torch. It may also explain why canteen sets are sometimes found missing the cup.

I always wondered if they were issued a cup for every canteen? it makes sense to only receive one cup, a soldier only uses one cup but may need to carry extra water

issuing extra cups for every canteen would be a waste and more weight to carry around

Bob Hudson

These are interesting insights into what things were actually called "back in the day." This is one for a Marine NCO during the Vietnam War. Notice the "hunting knife."

rec1.jpg

rec2.jpg

rec3.jpg

rec4.jpg

Greg Robinson
These are interesting insights into what things were actually called "back in the day." This is one for a Marine NCO during the Vietnam War. Notice the "hunting knife."

Check out that service number......in '68 they'd have called him an "OLd Corp" Marines. :D

Greg

Check out that service number......in '68 they'd have called him an "OLd Corp" Marines. :D

Greg

VERY Old Corps! thumbsup.gif With that service number he was a WW II Marine!

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Bob Hudson
VERY Old Corps! thumbsup.gif With that service number he was a WW II Marine!

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

That receipt was found in the pocket of one of the uniforms I got when I found tons of his stuff on the Halloween racks at a local thrift store: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=9748

These old receipts are interesting because the show the nomenclature GI's would have been exposed to during their service. For instance the 1942 soldier got a meat can, but the 1968 Marine got a mess kit.

carbinekid

Now I need to dig my gear and uniform return reciept from a Sgt. in the AAF in 1945.

Kyle