Unknown Corps of Engineers Badge

VMI88

I recently picked up this badge at a flea market and was hoping someone could help me identify it. It's about two inches wide and is marked with what appears to be a serial number. There's also a hole punched in it after manufacture. My theory is that this is some type of identification badge or pass, and that it was punched to "demil" it. Maybe it was given to the holder upon retirement. Does anybody know what this is and when it would have been used?

post-265-1242353113.jpg

flyingfortress

The badge probably belonged to a civilian employee (ID #1998) of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers located in Vicksburg, Mississippi. The badge was made by American Emblem, Utica, N.Y., and looks to be WWII-era. Nice find!

Regards, George

Darktrooper

it could have also been punched as to allow the worker to sew the badge to his/her shirt so it wouldnt fall off.

• 4 years later...

This is a Corps of Engineers employee badge for the Vicksburg, Mississippi Engineer District. Badges like this were in use in all Corps Districts and Dvisions from the 1930s through the late 1940s. The early ones often had "Engineer Department" in the lower banner rather than "Corps of Engineers" as is the case with this one. I believe that you are correct about the hole but most that I have collected over the years (40+, all different) are intact. I do not have a Vicksburg badge so if you decide to sell or trade this one please let me know.

Joe, that is very nice. I have never seen one of these before let alone the amount you have. Just goes to show, there are plenty of items to collect, especially under the heading of Militaria.

It all depends on where your interests lie!