1872 Cavalry Officer Sabre

SARGE

Gentlemen,

I picked up an identified 1872 US Cavalry Officer Sabre last week that I thought I would share.

Eckman_sword.JPG

The sword is a fairly early one and was made by W.R. Kirschbaum & Cie in Solingen and has his knight's head logo on the reverse ricasso of the blade. It also has a brass "Proved" slug on the obverse ricasso. The narrow polished steel blade has the standard etch of an eagle on the obverse and an entwined US on the reverse of the blade. The scabbard is also standard with a nickeled iron body with rather plain brass mounts. The white sharkskin grip has triple wire wrap and the guard is rather plain without the normally seen eagle and stars near the grip. The pommel is engraved with the officer's name and unit and the same information is lightly scratched into the base of the guard but this marking also includes his later service as Adjutant.

Eckman_sword_close.JPG

This officer served with the 4th Pennsylvania National Guard from 1877 through the Spanish American War mustering out in 1899 as a Major. His early service was as an enlisted man and he rose through the ranks being comissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in 1883. This sword seems to date from this time period when he was promoted from 1st Sergeant to 2nd Lieutenant. He served in Puerto Rico during the Spanish American War as well as being promoted to Captain and appointed as Regimental Adjutant. He retired as a Major appointed as Asst. Adjt. Gen. of the 2nd Brig., 1st Div., 1st Corps.

Eckman_sword_pommel.JPG

Thank you gentlemen for the kudos. I particularly like this particular sword because it is a bit different from the run of the mill mounted officer swords and the provinance. It is in very nice condition with only a bit of age and no abuse.

Sarge,

A very nice piece....with the provenance.

It’s specific history sets it apart and gives it an identifiable life beyond most other similar swords.

David