C.W Dahlgren bayonet -Ames Mfgd -1864 dated.

drm2m

(Click on the images to enlarge them....once enlarged...click again on the image.)

Markings:

On one side –1864 U. S. N. with D.R. (Navy inspector Daniel Reynolds)

Other side-- AMES MFG CO /

CHICOPEE MASS

DR acceptance script initials on the hilt.

DSC04174.jpg

Dahlgrenbayonetandscabbard.jpg

DahlgrenBayonetUSNDR1864DSCN0007.jpg

DahlgrenbayonetDRInspectorsinitials.jpg

DahlgrenbayonetDSC04066.jpg

DahlgrenbayonetDSC04060.jpg

DahlgrenBayonetAmesMfgChicopeeMassD.jpg

DahlgrenbayonetDSC04059.jpg

DahlgrenbayonetUSNwithDRinspectorsm.jpg

Dahlgrenbayonetmaunufacturersmarkin.jpg

The following information is from Frank Trzaska's website:

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/okca_1998.htm

The first Knife Bladed bayonet is considered to be the Model 1861 for the Plymouth / Whitneyville rifle. It is perhaps better known by its nickname the Dahlgren Bowie Bayonet, named for it inventor Admiral John A. Dahlgren. Many articles have been written about the Dahlgren bayonet but what is most intriguing are the actual letters from the Admiral himself regarding its design and use. As we know the basic use of a bayonet is mounted to the end of a rifle or musket. To Dahlgren's thinking this is not the proper use of his newly invented arm. It should be known that Admiral Dahlgren was in command of several Navy ships and knew first hand what close quarters fighting was about. With this in mind perhaps we can relate to the admirals thought when he wrote that the bayonet was best used in the hand not mounted on the end of the rifle it was designed for. It is also interesting to note that the 1861 rifle already had a sword bayonet designed for it at the time of Dahlgren's invention of the new bayonet. In Dahlgren's own words he called it the "most useless thing in the world except at the end of a musket." Perhaps this explains why most Dahlgren bayonets do NOT fit the Model 1861 rifle. They were meant to but they were also designed to be used as a close quarters fighting weapon in a sailors or marines hand. The Admiral invented a bayonet because a knife would not be sanctioned by the Ordnance Board. But being the clever fellow he was the bayonet did not really have to fit the rifle either.

The Dahlgren knife bayonet... (named after John A. Dahlgren, U.S. Navy)... one of two bayonets associated with the Whitney Model 1861 Percussion Navy ("Plymouth") .69 caliber Rifle.

The Whitney "Plymouth" rifle, named after the U.S.S. PLYMOUTH, a naval ordnance testing ship which had been built under Dahlgren's supervision, has the distinction of being the only U.S. contract arm to be originally rifled in .69 caliber.

David

Reason for edit: Added correct attribution

For they that might be interested.

Rear Admiral John A. Dahlgren.

(1809 - 1870)

American Federal naval officer in charge of ordnance at the Washington navy yard after 1847, he expanded the ordnance facilities and designed the 9-in. (22.9-cm) and 11-in. (27.9-cm) guns that came to be called Dahlgrens. He received command of the Washington Navy Yard (1861) and soon became Chief of the Bureau of Ordnance.

Dahlgren-Admiral-001.jpg

Rear Admiral John A. Dahlgren, USN,

Commanding the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron

Standing beside a 50-pounder Dahlgren rifled gun on board USS Pawnee, in Charleston Harbour, South Carolina, circa 1863-1865.

h51759.jpg

Rear Admiral John A. Dahlgren, USN,

Commanding the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron

With other officers, possibly including members of his staff, on board USS Pawnee, in Charleston Harbour, South Carolina, circa 1864-1865.

In addition to Dahlgren, three Captains, two Lieutenant Commanders, a Lieutenant and two Ensigns are present.

lc03413.jpg

David

David,

A very nice Dahlgren bayonet! These have been so heavily faked in the past one sees more repops than original ones. Yours is in excellent condition.

Thanks Sarge,

I have not paid much attention to this piece until lately while I was redoing some photos of different stuff.

The bayonet was purchased in May 2001 in Montreal from a dealer that I have bought a few things from over the years.....including a nice Mississippi bayonet and scabbard.

The crazy part of this photo exercise.....for the first time I noticed the script "DR" acceptance marking on the hilt.

I had never noticed it before....but the camera lens picked it up.

The early Dahlgren bayonets (1861) had the Ames marking in a straight line with the date "1861"on the other side.

By 1864 the Ames marking was arched.

I understand these bayonets were manufactured by Ames from 1861 to 1864.

David

DahlgrenbayonetDRmarkingDanielReyno.jpg

Dahlgrenbayonetmaunufacturersmarkin.jpg

HI. That is a very nice Dahlgren! I have one also in much lesser condition and no scabbard. I am off today to the KC military show but when I return I will try to post some photos. I don't have it out to look at it now, but I recall mine having an anchor stamped between the rivets on the butt; and I don't recall the circular cartouche. Be back in a few days, again very nice!

As promised, photos of my old Dahlgren.

As you pointed out the Ames address on this one is in a straight line. On the pommel there is an anchor stamped between the pins and that may be an anchor on yours in a slightly different location. On mine, as yours, you can see the oval cartouche on the pommel. I can read U.S.N. on the blade on mine, but that is about it. Partial Ames address on the other side. Thanks.

dahl1.jpg

dahl2.jpg

dahl3.jpg

dahl4.jpg

Keith,

Thanks for posting your photos of this interesting piece.

She ain't pretty ....but I would sure like to know her story!

David

Frank Trzaska
The first Knife Bladed bayonet is considered to be the Model 1861 for the Plymouth / Whitneyville rifle. It is perhaps better known by its nickname the Dahlgren Bowie Bayonet, named for it inventor Admiral John A. Dahlgren. Many articles have been written about the Dahlgren bayonet but what is most intriguing are the actual letters from the Admiral himself regarding its design and use. As we know the basic use of a bayonet is mounted to the end of a rifle or musket. To Dahlgren's thinking this is not the proper use of his newly invented arm. It should be known that Admiral Dahlgren was in command of several Navy ships and knew first hand what close quarters fighting was about. With this in mind perhaps we can relate to the admirals thought when he wrote that the bayonet was best used in the hand not mounted on the end of the rifle it was designed for. It is also interesting to note that the 1861 rifle already had a sword bayonet designed for it at the time of Dahlgren's invention of the new bayonet. In Dahlgren's own words he called it the "most useless thing in the world except at the end of a musket." Perhaps this explains why most Dahlgren bayonets do NOT fit the Model 1861 rifle. They were meant to but they were also designed to be used as a close quarters fighting weapon in a sailors or marines hand. The Admiral invented a bayonet because a knife would not be sanctioned by the Ordnance Board. But being the clever fellow he was the bayonet did not really have to fit the rifle either.

Interesting write up, wish I would have thought of those words... oh wait a minute I did... in 1998.

Bayonet Evolution

Frank Trzaska

Interesting write up, wish I would have thought of those words... oh wait a minute I did... in 1998.

Bayonet Evolution

Frank Trzaska

Attribution added to OP.

Thanks.

Chris