Modified Experimental LBV

I picked this vest up awhile back. Just getting around to posting it on the forum. This was in the bottom of a large box of LBV's. Al lthe LBV's were the first models...not the newer enhanced versions. In the bottom was this neat modified 1988 dated EXPERIMENTAL LBV. The tag is washed out a bit, but it definitely says Experimental. The buckles are ITW-NEXUS and are also dated 1988.

What is so odd about this vest is that it has been heavily modified by the soldier removing the M-16 magazine pouches and adding a three cell mag pouch on the right side. The left side is all velcroed. Also, there has been a small black pouch sewn to the back side of it. Definitely seen some use.

Arch

Picture_294.jpg

Any tags/info on the back pouch?

Looks like an early SOE brand item.

AK101,

No tags on the back pouch. It is an odd piece. It is open on both ends and has a velcro loop on the inside. Not a clue what it is for though. By the way...thanks for the compliments.

Arch

I had a request to post pics of the inside of the panels. Here you go! This is the right side.

Arch

Picture_299.jpg

craig_pickrall

Arch,

The black pouch on the back was originally made / sold as a key case. Hard to say why it was sewn on the vest and what it was used for.

good find, the triple pouch is definitely an American Body Armor one. Maybe the velcro panel was used to attach similar pouches. As for the key case on the back, maybe it was intended to attach a rope. When in the army (in Italy) we often attached 50 feet of rope on our backs with two straps; it may be an ingenious way to do the same.

Unluckily that is an experimental LBV that has been butched crying.gif

good find, the triple pouch is definitely an American Body Armor one. Maybe the velcro panel was used to attach similar pouches. As for the key case on the back, maybe it was intended to attach a rope. When in the army (in Italy) we often attached 50 feet of rope on our backs with two straps; it may be an ingenious way to do the same.

Unluckily that is an experimental LBV that has been butched crying.gif

Thanks for everyone's kind compliments and the great information. thumbsup.gif

As for the experimental LBV being butchered....I have two more unmodified experimental 1988 LBV's in my collection....one used and one mint.

I had thought about a rope and it could very well be what it was used for. I figure this vest will go well for a Op. Just Cause display I've been trying to work up. Been thinking about doing a display of one for some time now.

Arch

craig_pickrall

I don't think that key case is big enough to handle more than about 4 or 5 strands of rope. I would think if you wanted to carry a 50' line that it would be coiled tighter than that. I'm not sure if Swiss seats are still used but it could probably close around that.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.