USS San Diego relics from the wreck

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

Here are a few relics recovered from the wreck of the armored cruiser USS San Diego. The USS San Diego holds the unfortunate distinction of being the only major U.S. warship lost during WWI. It was sunk on July 19, 1918 off the south shore of Long Island, New York. To this day the cirumstances of the sinking remain a mystery, some say it hit a mine, some say it was an internal explosion & others say it was torpeoded.

First up is a clip of .30 caliber ammunition in uncleaned condition

post-168-1242167204.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
drmessimer

There is no mystery to why the USS San Diego sank. The U-Cruiser 156, a Deustchland class U-Boat, torpedoed her on 19 July 1918. The U-156 in turn was sunk enroute Germany. The sources for that information are Naval History Division, Department of the Navy, Dictionary of American Naval Ships, vol. II, pp. 13-14 and Arno Spindler, Der Handelskrieg mit U-Booten, vol. V, p. 260. drmessimer

Fixbayonets!

It depends on what you read or who you talk to but there has always been a debate since the day the ship was sunk.

From an article dated 1960:

A British Admiralty report, after the war, indicated that German U-boat 156, according to German records, had torpedoed and sunk the San Diego. Strong evidence pointed to a mine as the explosion cause. Navy ships exploring the area spotted six mines the day after the sinking. The official Navy Court of Inquiry concluded the sinking had been caused by the external explosion of a mine.

Is this the one they recently found in near untouched condition at the bottom? They really should consider raising parts of her or something, if it's really in such amazing condition and all. Make some sort of museum or memorial with what they bring up.

Fixbayonets!
Is this the one they recently found in near untouched condition at the bottom? They really should consider raising parts of her or something, if it's really in such amazing condition and all. Make some sort of museum or memorial with what they bring up.

No, not recently found. The U.S. Navy knew the exact location of the ship and sent divers down to inspect the wreck in 1918. The wreck has proved to be very popular with divers and has been explored for years, in fact 6 divers have lost their lives on the wreck. From what I have heard (but I am not 100% sure) the wreck site is now protected. Divers can still explore the wreck but recovering artifacts is now prohibited, too much live ordnance.

KASTAUFFER

Here is an interesting page from a Naval Aviators FLight Logbook I own from a crewman who flew over the USS San Diego. At the time they thought she hit a mine.

Kurt

MVC_001L.JPG

normaninvasion
No, not recently found. The U.S. Navy knew the exact location of the ship and sent divers down to inspect the wreck in 1918. The wreck has proved to be very popular with divers and has been explored for years, in fact 6 divers have lost their lives on the wreck. From what I have heard (but I am not 100% sure) the wreck site is now protected. Divers can still explore the wreck but recovering artifacts is now prohibited, too much live ordnance.

Wreck site has been protected since early 90s but is still a popular dive site