1968 M151 MUTT

Francis Marion

Francis Marion

I'll be purchasing this MUTT this month and want to make it look like it would have in Vietnam back in '68. It was originally an Army jeep and the USMC 0311 was added by the guy I'm buying it from and I plan on painting it out.

My current questions include, would a jeep in '68 have the white stars and vehicle number on the hood? What about bumper numbers and unit? What exact color and type of paint?

If you have any other suggestions, please include them. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I figure out what I'm doing.

jeep1.jpg

Is this a M-151, M-151A1 or M-151A2? IIRC M-151A2s did not enter service in time for Vietnam.

El Bibliotecario

I had an M151 license in the '60s, but never saw a vehicle with the netting and roll bar as pictured until the 80s. I suspect all the OSHA junk is an 80s era add-on.

Mid '60s army tactical vehicles all had white stars, white USA numbers, and white bumper markings. I was going to say that changed around the time white nametags became subdued, but I just checked a photo of jeeps (which is what everyone called M151s) in my unit motorpool dated Nov 73, and they still had white USA numbers and white bumper markings--but appeared to have no white star on the hood.

Its certainly possible this varied between major commands.

Francis Marion

Thanks for the link earlymb, there's a wealth of knowledge there.

From my research so far I have learned that the Rollover Protection System (ROPS) became standard in 1980. The seller says it's a real pain to get it off or back on but I'm stubborn enough to try making it routine, removing it for display and adding it for play.

I'm still trying to pin down an actual date when the stars were removed from the hood.

• 2 weeks later...
mpguy80/08
Thanks for the link earlymb, there's a wealth of knowledge there.

From my research so far I have learned that the Rollover Protection System (ROPS) became standard in 1980. The seller says it's a real pain to get it off or back on but I'm stubborn enough to try making it routine, removing it for display and adding it for play.

I'm still trying to pin down an actual date when the stars were removed from the hood.

I was driving a 1967 M151A1 in the Ohio Guard without any OSHA gear save for the passenger side safety strap on a return trip from Fort Knox in April of 1984. I was cut off by another vehicle, and my MUTT flipped up on the right side. The only thing that kept it from rolling all the way over was the extended antenna mount which reached to the top of the canvas on the right rear corner. When the accident was cleared, the vehicle wsa rolled back on all four and driven the rest of the way to Ohio. We never received the upgraded RPS untill well after we began transitioning to the M998 HMMVW. Just before the MUTTs were turned in for good, they received the RPS. That was in mid to late 86 I think...

Wayne

• 4 weeks later...
frederik.geudens

Nice!!! :thumbsup:

My dad has got an M151A1 that has been collecting years of dust in the barn. I have been thinking of restoring it, but its tendency to flip over is worrying me a bit. :think:

A couple of years ago a guy I knew got killed when his M151A1 toppled over on the highway. :( And if you want to keep the vehicle authentic, installing a ROPS is not an option, if you ask me.

• 8 months later...
tango1niner

If I had one in the barn I'd restore it for sure. The tendency to flip thing wouldn't worry me. Drive a little slower and cautiously. Basically it is an all terrain vehicile ( a big quad ) and they will flip under the wrong conditions.

just my $.02

Man you have the makings of one awesome A1. For years I didn't want anything that had to do with Nam but finally realized that it was time to honor the guys that went over there even though so many at home treated so wrong in doing so. I would say hold in mind the great sacrifices made by those who drove these original. Check out my A2 in this section under Our Military collection. Find your local Vet Association and give some of the guys a ride, you will be richly rewarded, thanks Alan,