WWII GERMAN POW DOGTAGS ISSUED TO AMERICANS

KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER
No Armored guys?

Erwin

Hi Erwin

Here is one to fill that gap. I just bought it on this forum 2 weeks ago.

He was in the same unit as the one Beast is showing, 17th Armored Infantry ,12th Armored Division and was captured the same day. Beast's link to the 12th AD website tells the story. This POW is verified to have been held in Stalag 5A.

Kurt

penny.JPG

KASTAUFFER
wardept.gif

Here's a grouping from Stalag XIIA that I picked last year at the ASMIC show in Ft.Worth Texas.

Any info on the POW's & Dog Tag would be greatly appreciated. My research has been nothing but a dead end! crying.gif

pow1.jpg

pow3.jpg

Here is info on Gonzales. I have a POW ID card from XIIA only a few numbers off the one you have. XIIA was a transit camp that newly captured POW's were sent to before being assigned to a permanent camp. the POW ID number on the photo attached to the card does not match the ID number on the top of the card. Someone probably replaced it with a different XIIA photo.

Field Title Value Meaning

SERIAL NUMBER 39548616 39548616

NAME GONZALES EDWARD G GONZALES EDWARD G

GRADE, ALPHA SGT Sergeant

GRADE CODE 5 Captain or Asst. superintendent of nurses or Asst. director of nurses or Chief dietitian or Chief physical therapy aides or Sergeant or Technician 4th Grade or Lieutenant or Petty Officer, 3rd Class

SERVICE CODE 1 ARMY

ARM OR SERVICE INF Infantry

ARM OR SERVICE CODE 10 INF: INFANTRY

DATE REPORT: DAY (DD) 01 01

DATE REPORT: MONTH (MM) 01 01

DATE REPORT: YEAR (Y) 5 1945

RACIAL GROUP CODE 1 WHITE

STATE OF RESIDENCE

TYPE OF ORGANIZATION

PARENT UNIT NUMBER

PARENT UNIT TYPE

AREA 72 European Theatre: Germany

LATEST REPORT DATE: DAY (DD) 21 21

LATEST REPORT DATE: MONTH (MM) 07 07

LATEST REPORT DATE: YEAR (Y) 5 1945

SOURCE OF REPORT 1 Individual has been reported through sources considered official.

STATUS 8 Returned to Military Control, Liberated or Repatriated

DETAINING POWER 1 GERMANY

CAMP 004 Stalag 3B Furstenberg Brandenburg, Prussia (Also KDOS [uSA] #1-5; ARB BTNS 225-255) 52-14

Here's a group to a B-17 waist gunner with the 711th Bomb Squadron. He ended up in Stalag 17B. I have alot more with this group, but here's the tag and some paperwork.
JD

post-2901-0-89921700-1399993634.jpg

post-2901-0-61898000-1399993650.jpg

post-795-1242688136.gif

Kastauffer I appreciate all the info on Gonzales!

Also, would it be possible to find out just by there POW ID number the soldiers name? think.gif

Great topic and posts! I became interested in POW items approximately 3 years ago when I acquired the items of a USAAF 384th BG pilot who was a prisoner in Stalag Luft 1-Barth, Germany. I have his Luftwaffe fork that he ate with, mail sent and received from 1943-1945, POW prayer book, a telegram his family sent to him via the Red Cross, Luftwaffe patches taken as mementos, letters written from Camp Lucky Strike on Red Cross stationary and a photo from his file. Everything BUT the dog tag!!! Still looking for a POW tag from Stalag Luft 1.

KASTAUFFER
wardept.gif

Kastauffer I appreciate all the info on Gonzales!

Also, would it be possible to find out just by there POW ID number the soldiers name? think.gif

There is a way if you can get to the National Archives in College Park Md. They have the US Army Provost Marshalls office records and that have a list that shows the POW numbers by name. It is NOT the same list that is online through the NARA AAD website.

Kurt

KASTAUFFER
Great topic and posts! I became interested in POW items approximately 3 years ago when I acquired the items of a USAAF 384th BG pilot who was a prisoner in Stalag Luft 1-Barth, Germany. I have his Luftwaffe fork that he ate with, mail sent and received from 1943-1945, POW prayer book, a telegram his family sent to him via the Red Cross, Luftwaffe patches taken as mementos, letters written from Camp Lucky Strike on Red Cross stationary and a photo from his file. Everything BUT the dog tag!!! Still looking for a POW tag from Stalag Luft 1.

Post some pics! I would love to see the group.

Kurt

Post some pics! I would love to see the group.

Kurt

I'll get some up this week.

Thanks,

Rick

carbinekid

Does anyone have any tags from Stalag 2B? My uncle was captured at Kasserine Pass on Feb. 19, 1943. He ended up escaping from Stalg 2B in 1945 when the POWs were being moved to a new camp in the West to avoid the Russians.

Kyle

KASTAUFFER
Does anyone have any tags from Stalag 2B? My uncle was captured at Kasserine Pass on Feb. 19, 1943. He ended up escaping from Stalg 2B in 1945 when the POWs were being moved to a new camp in the West to avoid the Russians.

Kyle

I have a tag from 2b, but I don't know who it was issued to . I know it was an American though. I will post a pic later.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some of the items from Lt. Charles "Ted" Zitnik, 545th BS, 384th BG. His B-17G was shot down on 11-26-43. There are several pictures of the crash on the 384th BG website. I also have all of his letters that were written and received while he was a POW and all the letters etc from the war department.

1.post-2901-0-40907100-1399993905.jpg

2.post-2901-0-66308200-1399993892.jpg

3.post-2901-0-10810100-1399993916.jpg

KASTAUFFER

Kyle

Here are my Stalag 2B tags. I know they are from Americans, I just havent figured out who yet.

Kurt

Stalag2b.JPG

Curious Granddaughter

Hey there!

I just found my grandfathers old tags in an old trunk in the garage - they're pretty beat up from some water damage my grandparents had at their home a while back. Any one know how I can clean up the Stalag Luft IV tag? It's already been separated from the other half at the perforation and didn't hold up as well as his U.S. tags. Also, the chain itself is pretty brittle and had already broken when I took it out of the trunk - but I still want to try and clean it up a little. If you can PM me with some tips I'd greatly appreciate it!

BTW, I was thinking of ordering a special pouch to store it in from an archival supply company, does this sound about right? http://www.archivalsuppliers.com/prodinfo....number=034-CIPZ

Thanks a bunch!

Ash

post-6310-1244129581.jpg

• 11 months later...
Jack's Son

OK Guys,

It's time to "dust" this post off, and give it another chance to shine and educate.

I was extremely impressed with the history and commitment displayed in this thread.

To put it in perspective........It took Kurt over 30 years of collecting to bring these pieces together.

He may be to modest to reveal this, but it demonstrates the commitment some have to history, and

to honoring those who sacrificed so much.

Kurt, thanks for the experience.

I never get tired of seeing this great stuff! :twothumbup:

Kudos, Kurt......et. al...Bobgee

• 3 months later...

I am resurrecting this thread with a new addition I just acquired.

This is a US dogtag and a Stalag 17B Dogtag to Pvt. Louis Tucker who was a member of the 1st RANGER BN and was captured at Cisterna in January 1944. He was injured badly and lost his foot. He was repatriated in September 1944 on the Gripsholm, a Swedish Red Cross ship, due to his injuries.

I also have more of his group which I will post later .

MVC_014L.JPG

012525510a250c78085b99c709e1be1ffb664f45cb.jpg

01d4f0cefb0efa841c8051d6e7a0c12d54ed3828d4.jpg

Hi Kurt, I have a tag from Stalag IIIA that I obtained a number of years ago and have been trying to research it. Do you have any advice as to how to track the number on it to a POW? I have no idea if it was an American POW or a Commonwealth soldier.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Kurt, I have a tag from Stalag IIIA that I obtained a number of years ago and have been trying to research it. Do you have any advice as to how to track the number on it to a POW? I have no idea if it was an American POW or a Commonwealth soldier.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Rick

There is no single good spot to research just a number on a POW tag. There are some books that have rosters with POW numbers ( one of them is about the south compound at Stalag Luft 3 ). Other times I will buy a POW tag and get some POW mail from the same guy which has the matching number on it.

There is a set of records in the archives that lists all POWs and shows their POW numbers, but it is a printed book and is not in electronic form.

I have a lot of POW mail in my collection which has given me some insite into what POW number blocks were used by Americans. That helps to at least make sure a tag was issued to an American and not dug up in Europe recently from a camp that only held Russian or Polish POWs.

Kurt

Richard Kimmel

This is certainly an interesting area as I see very little, if any, of this material surfacing at shows here in the states. Perhaps I'm simply missing it?

This is certainly an interesting area as I see very little, if any, of this material surfacing at shows here in the states. Perhaps I'm simply missing it?

Tags from Americans are very scarce and they don't turn up often.

However, on Ebay, hundreds of Stalag tags are sold every year but almost all of these are dug tags coming out of camps that never held Americans.

Kurt

Hi Rick

There is no single good spot to research just a number on a POW tag. There are some books that have rosters with POW numbers ( one of them is about the south compound at Stalag Luft 3 ). Other times I will buy a POW tag and get some POW mail from the same guy which has the matching number on it.

There is a set of records in the archives that lists all POWs and shows their POW numbers, but it is a printed book and is not in electronic form.

I have a lot of POW mail in my collection which has given me some insite into what POW number blocks were used by Americans. That helps to at least make sure a tag was issued to an American and not dug up in Europe recently from a camp that only held Russian or Polish POWs.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt, if I gave you the number is there a chance you could check whatever records you have access to, or at least determine if it's a US POW or not?

Thanks,

Rick

Thanks Kurt, if I gave you the number is there a chance you could check whatever records you have access to, or at least determine if it's a US POW or not?

Thanks,

Rick

I can check and see if the number is consistent with other IIIA numbers I know were used by Americans,

Kurt

I can check and see if the number is consistent with other IIIA numbers I know were used by Americans,

Kurt

Thanks Kurt, that would be great....the number is 103320

best regards,

Rick

Thanks Kurt, that would be great....the number is 103320

best regards,

Rick

I only have two numbers for IIIA, both in the 8x,xxx range. Most POWs in that camp transferred in from other places and had numbers from their first camp.

Kurt