WWII GERMAN POW DOGTAGS ISSUED TO AMERICANS

KASTAUFFER

Very interesting topic.

From this camp he went to Oflag 64 in Schubin Poland and later was sent to Oflag 13b.

Poland-based nazi Oflag 64 Altburgund (Szubin) was in fact a camp for approx. 2000 Allied POWs from Australia, UK and USA mainly. According to the Polish sources only one American officer died in this camp. Tha camp was liberated by the Soviets on January 21st, 1945. Today there is a monument at Szubin for all the POWs executed or murdered by various nazi methods.

Best regards

Greg

I think when Carl sees this, he'll be needing an ambulance or a Medic. :blink:w00t.gif

I always thought items like that were only to be found in museums.

Wish I was so lucky for a grouping like that of a 4th AD officer.

Erwin

I feel humbled by Kurt's collection!! I've only got one in my collection, which came with a medal group to George L. Descheneaux.

Descheneaux was regimemtal commander of the 422nd Infantry Regiment, 106th Infantry Division, and was captured on December 17th, 1944 when the 422nd and 423rd IR's were completely surrounded by German forces in the opening hours of the Battle of the Bulge.

For more views of this group, additional info on Descheneaux and the surrender of the 422nd IR, follow this link:

http://www.purplehearts.net/descheneaux/descheneaux.htm

That Descheneaux grouping still makes my mouth drop every time I see it (with the necessary drooling).

Fantastic lot Tom twothumbup.gif

If that ever goes out the door... ;)

Best regards

Carl

Kurt and All,

Very nice collections of POW memorabilia!

Here is my only contribution to the thread. I acquired a fairly large POW grouping a few years back to Huber D. "Butch" Holland. The grouping is fairly large with his medals, insignia, souvenirs, allot of poetry written on the backs of cigarette packs, camp TP and so on, so I'll just stick with the important paperwork regarding Butch's captivity.

Kurt - When I showed some of this grouping on a different forum a couple of years ago, I think you mentioned that it was fairly unusual to see tags and paperwork marked to Stalag Luft 6? As you can see from his Recovered Personnel Interview form, he made it to more than a few different camps by the time he was finally liberated.

Gary

Here is his camp card and tag from STAL LUFT 6

post-84-1176426139.jpg

post-84-1176426154.jpg

Here is a little paperwork...a piece of stationary paper from YMCA and Stalag Luft 3. Also, some type of form from Stalag VIIA. The YMCA paper has his entire accounting in very small writing of how he was shot down, captured and liberated. I've enlarged it so everyone can read it.

post-84-1176426477.jpg

Kurt - When I showed some of this grouping on a different forum a couple of years ago, I think you mentioned that it was fairly unusual to see tags and paperwork marked to Stalag Luft 6? As you can see from his Recovered Personnel Interview form, he made it to more than a few different camps by the time he was finally liberated.

Nice to see this group again Gary!

Stalag Luft 6 tags are fairly scarce and I do not have one ! Stalag Luft 6 closed in 1944 and the POW's were transferred to Stalag Luft 4. Most of them were transferred again on to Stalag Luft 1 after Stalag Luft 4 closed in early 1945.

Looks like he instead went on to Luft 3 when it was at Nurnberg and then on to Stalag 7a at Moosberg.

If you ever get tired of looking at this group , it would have a good home :rolleyes:

Kurt

• 4 weeks later...
KASTAUFFER

Here is another one I just picked up!

Stalag 17B POW tag + Caterpiller Club pin to S/Sgt Henry R. Hampel of the 390th Bomb Group, 8th AAF.

The pin is an Irving pin. I am preparing to do a thread on Caterpiller club material soon.

17b.JPG

• 2 months later...

Here is a new pair I just picked up.

These belonged to 1st Lt Porter C. Branch Jr. He was captured 3/13/43 . I dont know his unit yet. He was liberated from Stalag 7A at Moosberg .

The US tags are the ones he was issued after he was liberated. Also included are his fathers tags from WWI !

branch.JPG

• 1 year later...
KASTAUFFER
WWII POW dogtag and US tags issued to 2nd Lt Charles Skinner. He was captured 1/20/45 while serving with the 314th Infantry , 79th Division . This tag was issued to him at OFLAG 13B at Hammelburg Germany . This was the camp that Patton's forces raided .

post_105_1176150043.jpg

Jackpot!

Here is a document that originally came from the National Archives that documents the POW number on Skinner's Oflag XIIIB Dogtag ( 8039 )

skinner.JPG

Jackpot!

Here is a document that originally came from the National Archives that documents the POW number on Skinner's Oflag XIIIB Dogtag ( 8039 )

post-105-1242427904.jpg

Hammelburg and a Hoosier too! Very nice!!

Here is one I obtained recently. Oflag 64 was officer-only and US-only but I can find out nothing on the owner of the tag.

Tom crying.gif

oflag.bmp

KASTAUFFER
Here is one I obtained recently. Oflag 64 was officer-only and US-only but I can find out nothing on the owner of the tag.

Tom crying.gif

Hi Tom

The lowest Oflag 64 number I can document to an American is 1460.

Wish I could help!

Kurt

It is my understanding the camp existed under another name and was multi-national but was renamed Oflag 64 when it was converted to US-only. Comments?

Tom

KASTAUFFER
It is my understanding the camp existed under another name and was multi-national but was renamed Oflag 64 when it was converted to US-only. Comments?

Tom

It was Stalag XXIB and held other nationalities including Brits. I have POW mail from Oflag 64 when they were still using the Stalag XXIB censor mark.

Kurt

No Armored guys?

Erwin

Erwin,

Thanks to Kurt's research, I have identified one of my tags to an Armor vet. Well, he was an Infantry officer assigned to the Company A, 17th AIB, 12th Armored Divsion.

post-203-1242478633.jpg

post-795-1242480181.gif

Here's a grouping from Stalag XIIA that I picked last year at the ASMIC show in Ft.Worth Texas.

Any info on the POW's & Dog Tag would be greatly appreciated. My research has been nothing but a dead end! crying.gif

post-795-1242480962.jpg

post-795-1242481211.jpg