WWII GERMAN POW DOGTAGS ISSUED TO AMERICANS

KASTAUFFER

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Kurt - did the number stay the same regardless of the camp?  He was initially in 3B and received his number, then transferred to 12A? Or was that a satellite camp of 3B?  Has always been a bit confusing to me. I assumed the number was issued per-camp, but since guys moved around maybe they kept their originally issued number? 

Hi Austin 

Generally the same number was kept even when they moved around. There are some exceptions. I know they issued 2 numbers to some early war POWs that moved

In the case above he was in 12A first and transferred to 3B. 12A was a transit camp new captures ( ground guys) were taken to, processed, and then transferred to a final camp.  If an airman it was Dulag Luft. 

Kurt

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

This tag was on EBay , and I have never seen another Oflag XXIB tag from an American .  The camp later became Oflag 64.

He was initially held in Oflag  XXIB and then transferred to Luft 3. 

27B07620-C07A-4847-9635-15409C10C21C.jpeg

291E2292-8349-4522-8CAC-9BD23118290C.jpeg

6A3C0D65-F315-42A6-B82B-EAE2A0E706B3.jpeg

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, WEAVER45 said:

What material is a WWII German POW tag Made of ?   Does a Magnet stick to it?

Typically the early ones are steel, and the magnet will stick to them, and as the war progressed the later ones are zinc based and a magnet will not stick to them.

15 hours ago, WEAVER45 said:

What material is a WWII German POW tag Made of ?   Does a Magnet stick to it?

It can also depend on the camp. As an example Stalag VIIA had zinc dogtags early in the war and moved to pressed steel tags late in the war. Stalag Luft 3 did the same thing. 

2 hours ago, KASTAUFFER said:

It can also depend on the camp. As an example Stalag VIIA had zinc dogtags early in the war and moved to pressed steel tags late in the war. Stalag Luft 3 did the same thing. 

Thanks Kurt!

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to connect a p o w number to a name for camp Stalag 4B. I found a few records on ancestry.com but didn't know if there were more of them.

2 hours ago, WEAVER45 said:

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to connect a p o w number to a name for camp Stalag 4B. I found a few records on ancestry.com but didn't know if there were more of them.

For stalag 4B , the ancestry records are the only ones that I know of. They are hard to use, because you have to scan through all the entries to try and find the number.

Also, a very large percentage of 4B tags are for soldiers captured during the battle of the bulge. Many 106th Div soldiers. 

I have about four tags for that camp I am currently trying to figure out myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Did the Germans use  a different number range for each POW camp?  For example,  Could there be a POW tag   "Stalag7A  123456" and a Stalag 3A  123456"  

Here is a link to the NATIONAL ARCHIVES data base of DIGITIZED file that include
German documents Pilot Id's Dog Tag photos and other items the pilots might

have been carrying.

21 files in this limited search the ME files are the US Missing aircraft reports and the KU Files
are the German Stalag Luft III files I believe

You will need to open each file and look at all the included PHOTOS
not sure how to search it but full of great info

Hope this works FILE DATA BASE

Thanks for the post. This is GREAT!!  This files shows what camp they are at.  It would be great to find a Stalag roster  that connect a name to a  German POW  n;umber

7062634-Box392-FolderME1018-003.jpg

This is an assume resource to search and as you may have noticed there is a lot more to be digitized,
they are still working on it, BTW I cant remember what I used to do a search earlier that came up
with like 1100 of these files. the one i posted above is only 21 files I believe

I do believe this is only Pilot / Air crew related files liberated after the war

After looking through many of these files it amazes me there was not a standing order to
NOT CARRY personnel info on missions.