WWII GERMAN POW DOGTAGS ISSUED TO AMERICANS

KASTAUFFER

Last week I was going through some of my father’s belongings and came across his POW dogtag. This was a new find for me so I went on the Internet to do some research and this led me to your forum.

I was surprised that I didn’t find an oval POW dogtag until the final page (7) of the images. Because the numbers are so close (3106, 3113) and the dates of capture are also (October 14, 1943, October 8, 1943), my father almost surely knew the other POW (I couldn't find a name).

I have included individual images of the POW material, and a collage that contains all of the individual items. Please feel free to display them as you see fit.

Pat Scott

son of Lt. John J. Scott

[email protected]

Hi Pat

Thank you so much for posting your father's items.

Its been my observation that oval POW tags are scarce and were only used early in the war. The Germans at some point switched all POW tags to rectangular, but for a period of time there were both oval and rectangular tags,

Thanks

Kurt

G

Hi Pat

Thank you so much for posting your father's items.

Its been my observation that oval POW tags are scarce and were only used early in the war. The Germans at some point switched all POW tags to rectangular, but for a period of time there were both oval and rectangular tags,

Thanks

Kurt

Great looking stuff and I'm glad this post has been bumped up. Kurt, do you have anything of German prisoners held in the US or just US soldiers?

• 1 month later...

Another SOS find.

Stalag Luft 6 tag to a 93rd BG , 8th AAF POW shot down 2/25/44 over Germany.

Luft 6 tags are scarce.

image.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's my new addition. POW tag from Stalag VII/A, issued to a member of the 1st Armored Regiment, 1st Armored Division. This individual was captured on 2/15/43 at Kasserine Pass and spent most of his time at Stalag 3B during the war.

post-93633-0-91395700-1460666866.jpg

Some neat items posted.

Since it has not been mentioned and is an important piece of information related to this post, i would like to add that Original German made ID-disc would have been made of Zink alloy or Aluminum.

I do have a couple tags that are actually steel such as the Stalag Luft 6 tag on this page. They even have rust on them. Based on the tags that I own and have seen it seems the Germans used additional materials to make POW tags than just Zinc alloy or Aluminum. I have a paper tag and have owned one made of wood too.

However, German Military Tags I believe were only Zinc alloy or Aluminum as you stated.

Kurt

• 1 month later...

Except for zinc and aluminum, some German dog tags were made of steel as well, for example for armor units. However, these are more seldom.

• 1 month later...

Here is a scarce variety. It is a cardboard POW tag from Stalag XIIA to a 45th division POW captured in October 1944.

image.jpg

Here is a tag that tells a story. The pow who wore this was captured with the 106th division during the battle of the bulge. He was initially sent to Stalag IXB at Bad Orb which was a notoriously awful camp. It however got worse for this POW. He was one of 350 Jewish POWs who were transferred to Berga which was a sub camp of Buchenwald. They were worked to death and many of them died. He was lucky to have survived. There is a documentary about this camp that was shown on PBS and he is in it.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0341255/

image.jpg

KASTAUFFER

Stalag VIIIC (8) PoW tag with number 100784.

Any chance to find out to whom this tag was issued to?

Unfortunately no. This is a dug tag from Europe from a camp the mostly held British and Polish POWs. I have never seen a tag from that camp attributed to an American,

Kurt

• 1 month later...

Hey Kurt,

I know I showed you these before, just wanted to post them for everyone else to check out! I picked up this POW tag at an estate sale on the south side of Chicago, they came with the Air Crew Wings, but I have no idea if they even belong together. I paid $14 for the wings, they didn't charge me for the POW tag, they didn't know what it was, they thought it was junk... Just goes to show you how easily these things get lost and forgotten about... Glad I was able to save it! Just wish I knew who the previous owner was...

post-163305-0-75119500-1471053150.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi Folks: I found an estate slae in the local Seattle area and it listed some US military and German items to include a POW German ID tag for "Stalag II B # 22158" so I attended...and bought some items to include the POW's ribbons, collar insignia and marksmanship badge for "Rifle, Auto Rifle & Machine Gun"...along with two (2) WWII booklets and it appears his brother's US Navy dog tags "JOHN FRANCIS JARBOE" . When I asked the sales person about the German items like the ID tag....and the lady told me that it sold for $600+ which I was surprised. When I got home...I researched the last name and found that PFC Harry E. Jarboe, 104th Inf Reg, 26th ID was a POW ...so I figured that I obtained "some" of his items....but not the German tag and his dog tags....

The 1st picture shows what the dog tag looked like with a KVKII w/Swds....and the Marksmanship badge

The 2nd picture shows the other items like dog tags, ribbons, booklets, etc...

The 3rd picture shows what I obtained

The 4th picture shows marksmanship badge

The last is the close-up of his brother's USN dog tags

post-153915-0-92626800-1483339407_thumb.jpg

post-153915-0-14803300-1483339479_thumb.jpg

post-153915-0-74890300-1483339551_thumb.jpg

post-153915-0-38406400-1483339589_thumb.jpg

A Stalag IIB tag in the 22XXX range would indicate a POW captured in North Africa or Italy in 1943. It seems odd that it would belong to a 26th Division vet. There has to be a story there,

Attached is a list of some Stalag IIB numbers I have close to that tag,

Kurt

2b.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Stalag IVB tag ( broken in half ) and US tags to a Pvt with the 12th Infantry Regiment , 4th Infantry Division captured 12/20/44 during the Battle of the Bulge .

01c6c89ee2af5080d45f456947332beeb5c6529bf1.jpg