WWII GERMAN POW DOGTAGS ISSUED TO AMERICANS

KASTAUFFER

FInally got confirmation that this tag indeed was issued to the Col. of the 422nd Infantry, 106th Division, captured at the Battle of the Bulge. The document came from his Personnel file at St, Louis and confirms his POW number.

desch1.jpg

desch2.jpg

FInally got confirmation that this tag indeed was issued to the Col. of the 422nd Infantry, 106th Division, captured at the Battle of the Bulge. The document came from his Personnel file at St, Louis and confirms his POW number.

attachicon.gifdesch1.jpg

attachicon.gifdesch2.jpg

WOW! That is an amazing piece Kurt! Excellent work on the research.

Here is a tag issued to an American POW while at Stalag IXB. I would appreciate any identity information available or where to go for research.

post-6880-0-38399800-1390091308.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a dogtag to a 306th BG POW who evaded for 3 months from April 1943 until July 1943 when the Gestapo picked him up in Paris.

He as also Jewish and had changed his name from Solomon to Sanders before he went into the Army.

Notice his POW ID has his religion listed as " Agnostic ".

He was held at Stalag VIIA and then moved to Stalag Luft 3

This tag was worn as a bracelet.

MVC-036L.JPG

MVC-033L.JPG

MVC-033L.JPG

MVC-036L.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Stalag IIA tag to an American from the 102nd Division captured 11/21/44 . His father was the Mayor of provenance RI.

Tag has the original neck cord. This tag also came with all of his POW mail and documentation.

MVC-032L (2).JPG

MVC-033L.JPG

MVC-034L.JPG

A Stalag Luft I dogtag to an American.

Klein was in the 379th BG, 8th AAF Shot down 1/11/44

post-105-0-52026500-1393906881.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a Stalag IXB tag I found on Ebay. It checked out to a PFC with the 242nd Inf , 42nd Division, captured 1/9/45 .

9b hampton.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

This rare tag sold on Ebay today to a fellow from Germany. I bid, but did not come close this time. It is a tag from Stalag Luft 6. This camp was combined with Stalag Luft 4. Luft 4 later closed and most of the remaining POWs ended up in Stalag Luft 1.

His Caterpillar club card sold on Ebay last week. Another lot split up .

As I am the owner of this very interesting lot, I can assure You of the fact that this lot isn't split up:

post-152777-0-65500500-1398290641.jpg

Btw. I am not from Germany:)

Bestreg.

kindzjal

• 3 weeks later...
KASTAUFFER

I normally don't buy dug dogtags, but this was an exception. It also came with a named AAF ID bracelet to another POW and both men researched out to have been held at Stalag Luft 3. I bought them from someone in Poland who dug them up at Sagan.

This is a rare style of tag. I have other oval tags like this from early in the war.

POW # 3106 was an American who was held in the South Compound at Stalag Luft 3. He was captured 10/14/43 on the mission to Schweinfurt. He was a bombardier with the 379th BG, 8th AAF.

B-17F "The Iron Maiden"

"The Iron Maiden"

Boeing B-17F-55-BO Flying Fortress

Serial number 42-29511

525th Bomb Squadron, 379th Bomb Group, 41st Bomb Wing, 1st Air Division, 8th Air Force

This plane was shot down on October 14,1943 during the mission to bomb Schweinfurt,Germany. All ten crew members became POW's.

Luft3.jpg

KASTAUFFER

Here is the ID bracelet. It is marked Sterling and engraved with the name of the person who gave it to him on the back.

He was a 2nd LT captured 6/13/13 while serving with the 94th BG, 8th AAF. He was also held in the South Compound of Stalag Luft 3.

luft3-2.jpg

• 5 months later...

Courtesy of the Rittenberg family is a photo of his POW ID card and the telegram to his family. Notice the POW number on the card matches the dogtag in the post above.

ritten.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the posts guys. Many of these tags are from large groupings to individual POW's. I thought it might be intersting to focus on a single aspect of their POW life and group the tags together for this thread.

Here is one more!

This one is the only tag that did not come from the vet or his estate. It was dug in Poland! I only bought it because I was able to trace the number on this one. If the tag could talk!

It is half of a Stalag Luft 3 tag issued to 1st Lt Frank M. Newton . He was an " early Bird" as a POW. He was a member of the 98th Bomb Group and was captured 8/21/42 in the Middle East. The very low number on the tag reflects how early this was!

After the war he privately published a book about his experiences which I photographed the tag on.

attachicon.gifattachment

Kastauffer,

Would you please contact me about the posting, I am very interested in knowing about this tag and book and any info you have on them. My father knew Lt. Newton as a child and recalls him telling his story about being shot down. Newton was good friends with my dad's father-in-law.

Please let me know the best way to contact you.

Thank you,

Travis

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tag from Stalag Luft I from a Co-Pilot with the 96th BG captured 3/8/44 on the Big B raid . ( Berlin ).

Another SOS find.

IMG_2826.JPG

• 1 month later...

Here is my contribution....

NOK tags and POW dog tag to a member of the 7th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division. Captured on March 3, 1944 during German counter-attacks by the 715th and 16th SS Panzer Grenadier Divisions in Anzio.

Photo of him looks to be post war.

post-93633-0-81145400-1429816416.jpg

post-93633-0-74158100-1429816427.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last week I was going through some of my father’s belongings and came across his POW dogtag. This was a new find for me so I went on the Internet to do some research and this led me to your forum.

I was surprised that I didn’t find an oval POW dogtag until the final page (7) of the images. Because the numbers are so close (3106, 3113) and the dates of capture are also (October 14, 1943, October 8, 1943), my father almost surely knew the other POW (I couldn't find a name).

I have included individual images of the POW material, and a collage that contains all of the individual items. Please feel free to display them as you see fit.

Pat Scott

son of Lt. John J. Scott

[email protected]

post-161550-0-80468900-1452004173.jpg