WWII GERMAN POW DOGTAGS ISSUED TO AMERICANS

KASTAUFFER

• 2 weeks later...

I just spent 3 hours going through a 288 page document on Ancestry.com that was a " movement order" listing POWs leaving France for the USA in June 1945 and listed both their US Service numbers and their POW ID numbers!

I crosschecked my unidentified tags and got a hit

The tag below was worn by a soldier with the 590th Field Artillery Bn , 106th Division. He was captured 12/21/44 during the Battle of the Bulge. His POW tag # 315770 from Stalag IVB matches the list below

MVC_015L.JPG

And another hit. 1st Ranger Bn captured at Anzio . Held at Stalag IIA and IIB . Liberated at Stalag IIB .

Its only 1/2 a tag, but I will take 1/2 a tag to a Ranger any day.

MVC_016L.JPG

I just spent 3 hours going through a 288 page document on Ancestry.com that was a " movement order" listing POWs leaving France for the USA in June 1945 and listed both their US Service numbers and their POW ID numbers!

Oh dear.... I've been spending hours looking at their updated USMC roles researching some of my unioform groups. Looks like I'm going back in for a few more!!

Kurt, I take it the document isn't searchable by POW numbers? Thanks for letting us know about this new tool!

I crosschecked my unidentified tags and got a hit

The tag below was worn by a soldier with the 590th Field Artillery Bn , 106th Division. He was captured 12/21/44 during the Battle of the Bulge. His POW tag # 315770 from Stalag IVB matches the list below

post-105-1339382401.jpg

Zoinks! Wow, I guess I know how I will be spending today! Yesterday I just hit number 6220 of 11162 men on my SL1 list adding MACR's and other important data for my book. Maybe this will save me a trip to the Provost Marshals archives!? Way to go Kurt, my hero!!!! :salute:

OMG Kurt, in 10 minutes I have added more POW ID numbers to my list then in the last year! So far 100% they do follow the listing for the camp the individual was liberated from so if you know where your boy was liberated you can narrow it down a good bit by skimming and looking for your specific Camp. I have not checked any of the other ship names yet but I expect we will find many more of these list. :packin heat: Yeeehaaaaw!

• 1 month later...

I just added a Stalag Luft 4 dogtag to my collection. Ive been looking for one for a while. The vet served with the 96th BG, 8th AAF .

MVC_082L.JPG

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Uniforms of the Day

This particular topic is great Kurt. These objects live and breathe. It is an added element that unattributed items just don't have.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this has been said, but while people used to sell Polish, French etc, tags as American POWs, there is a pretty good market in Europe making fake US ones now. You wouldn't think so, but there is and it has been going on for many years.

Can you post examples of what a known fake tag looks like? I have not seen any so far I thought might be fake. I know SS tags ETC have been faked. I know the dug POW tags are sold so cheap there hasn't been motivation to fake those.

Kurt

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a new addition. Its a POW tag rivetted to a leather wrist band. I have seen 3-4 of these leather bands and they all seem to have been used in Stalag IVB and VIIA.

This one is documented by number to a 106th Division POW captured during the battle of the bulge.

POWtag1.jpg

POWtag2.jpg

POWtag3.jpg

I've had this one for a while. I just identified the recipient . 351st INF , 88th Division . Captured 10/24/44

MVC-100L.JPG

140642.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
KASTAUFFER

Finding a Stalag Luft 6 tag has been my " great white buffalo" and I finally obtained one. I now have a tag from all the different camps that held US airmen.

This tag belonged to a gunner from the 92nd BG shot down 3/6/44 during the famous Berlin mission.

MVC-001L.JPG

Finding a Stalag Luft 6 tag has been my " great white buffalo" and I finally obtained one. I now have a tag from all the different camps that held US airmen.

This tag belonged to a gunner from the 92nd BG shot down 3/6/44 during the famous Berlin mission.

attachicon.gifMVC-001L.JPG

Nice addition Kurt! Do you have MACRs for all of them?

KASTAUFFER

Thanks Erick! I do have all the MACR's. I take full advantage of my FOLD3 subscription B)

Kurt

• 1 month later...

Here is a POW tag that is with a medal group to George Steffen Jr. who was in the 112th Regiment, 28th Division (thanks Kurt) and was was wounded and captured in the fierce fighting in the Hurtgen Forrest on November 7, 1944 where the 112th Regiment suffered horrendous casualties. The POW tag actually has two different numbers and camps stamped on it. Stalag VIH 19196 and Stalag VIG 13196.

Dick

post-9487-0-06464000-1372003209.jpg

post-9487-0-60931500-1372003218.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...