WWII GERMAN POW DOGTAGS ISSUED TO AMERICANS

KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER
I suspect it is then a fake with that low number. Thanks for the info. Ken

Stalag 17 held a lot of other nationalities before the Americans got there. It might not be fake. There was an A and a B camp too.

Kurt

Good answer Kurt. My morale is up again! I'll just make up a good story every time some one asks me about this tag. Ken

• 4 weeks later...
This is a picture of my father shortly after being liberated from Stalag VI G. Could not find any of him while he was in the camp.

Save it as a .jpeg.

post-44363-1308630425.jpg

• 6 months later...

Just picked this up today from the veteran. He was a B-17 co-pilot in the 379th BG and was shot down in September 1943. He evaded capture with the assistance of the French Underground and was arrested by the Gestapo while on a train bound for the Spain. Sprent the remainder of the war in Stalag Luft 1.

GREAT grouping! :thumbsup:

Just picked this up today from the veteran. He was a B-17 co-pilot in the 379th BG and was shot down in September 1943. He evaded capture with the assistance of the French Underground and was arrested by the Gestapo while on a train bound for the Spain. Sprent the remainder of the war in Stalag Luft 1.

Excellent! The document ties the # on the dogtag to him quite nicely. You dont see these together very often.

Kurt

Excellent! The document ties the # on the dogtag to him quite nicely. You dont see these together very often.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt!

Great find! :twothumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
gliderrider401
This second tag was issued to 2nd LT Charles A. Dubinski at STALAG LUFT 3 at Sagan Germany . The tags says " OFlag " because originally it was an officers camp only. An oflag is an "Offizierlager" . He was a fighter pilot with the 27th Fighter Bomber group and was captured in North Africa on 9/19/43 .

Also included is his barracks card from Luft 3.

post-105-1176148126.jpg

Amazing collection !!! :thumbsup:

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

This rare tag sold on Ebay today to a fellow from Germany. I bid, but did not come close this time. It is a tag from Stalag Luft 6. This camp was combined with Stalag Luft 4. Luft 4 later closed and most of the remaining POWs ended up in Stalag Luft 1.

His Caterpillar club card sold on Ebay last week. Another lot split up .

luft6.jpg

This rare tag sold on Ebay today to a fellow from Germany. I bid, but did not come close this time. It is a tag from Stalag Luft 6. This camp was combined with Stalag Luft 4. Luft 4 later closed and most of the remaining POWs ended up in Stalag Luft 1.

His Caterpillar club card sold on Ebay last week. Another lot split up .

post-105-1329622427.jpg

Missed another one! :crying:

Thanks for adding the pics Kurt, it is nice to see another real SL6 tag. I wasn't certin mine was good but it came with an SL7 grouping of an RAF Observer. When I get back to TX I will try to post it.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased a WWII-P.O.W. Red Cross box that also came with some small miscellaneous items. One of the items which was NOT pictured was this aluminum dog tag. :w00t: My question is did I really hit the jack pot and get an original tag? I checked this thread and saw a similiar tag but from a different camp. ANY help would be appreciated. The other items in the box were all original WWII items which appear to have come from a U.S. Army Infantry EM.

post-2901-0-86055900-1399994236.jpg

post-2901-0-07198500-1399994246.jpg

Nice tag, and while different than most German tags, it is not a sign that it is bad. I even have a POW tag made of cardboard!

I just checked my POW mail collection and found a piece of mail from POW# 30637 at Stalag VB ! He was captured 9/23/44 and was a 36th Div vet.

I'd say your tag is to an American and is good.

Kurt

a while ago I was lucky to run across a POW grouping at a estate sale. Everything was gone except for a overseas cap and a large envelope with papers. It seems from all the papers he was a B-17 bombadier shot down on his first mission. Included with the papers was a scrap book and his german dog tag.

post-7724-1330968459.jpg

• 2 months later...
LuftStalg1

Just picked up a bunch of stuff for Edward A Tovrea. Ed was shot down over the channel while flying a Spitfire for the 407th Fighter Squadron of the 31st Fighter Group. Suposedly one of the men used for the charicter played by Steve McQueen in the move "The Great Escape". It seems the zinc and steel tags were issued durring the same time preiod as this is one of the zinc and he was captured in August 1942 after being shoot down durring the British raid on Dieppe. He was sent from Dulag Luft to Stalag Luft III in September of 1942. He was eventually transfred out to Stalag 6B and then finaly to Stalag 7A where he was liberated. I don't find a MACR on him but in the pile of paperwork I have is his "Statment or Report of Interview of Recovered Personnel" which gives the basic infromation I was looking for. In this grouping was his camera smuggled into SL3, many photos from inside SL3, medals (none named), flight log, photos, 1937 graduation pin, letters of commendation for his work in SL3, just lots of little goodies. I would normaly pass on the SL3 stuff as I am working on SL1 but the group was just too cool to leave alone.

post-15093-1338131546.jpg

KASTAUFFER

Mark glad to see you won the auction lots these were in ! That group was awesome!

I REALLY hate it when auction houses take a historically significant lot like this and split it up into tiny pieces . It wasnt like the stuff was piles of gear and insignia. It was all POW paperwork, the tags ETC. It should have been kept together. Did you win all the lots? I didnt bid on any because I have found its an impossible task to get them all.

Kurt

KASTAUFFER

This tag is part of a group being split up on Ebay as we speak! His Caterpillar card and pin sold yesterday. The tag sold this morning for an insane amount of money. The high bidder runs a "pop culture" antique business. It wasnt one of the normal players for POW material. The top 2 bids were 6X higher than the #3 bid. 2 guys who just had to have it.

pow_tag.jpg

LuftStalg1
Mark glad to see you won the auction lots these were in ! That group was awesome!

I REALLY hate it when auction houses take a historically significant lot like this and split it up into tiny pieces . It wasnt like the stuff was piles of gear and insignia. It was all POW paperwork, the tags ETC. It should have been kept together. Did you win all the lots? I didnt bid on any because I have found its an impossible task to get them all.

Kurt

Hey Kurt,

This was the first "LIVE" auction I took part in. The sliverware lot and the lot about some kind of bet went to someone else. The silverware seemed to have normal use and nothing indicating they were used to dig as the auction house indicated so I let them go. I paid an arm and a leg for the stuff but it is cool and maybe I can trade it for an SL1 lot just as nice? It has been a long time since I got any good SL1 stuff so this will have to do. :w00t:

Yup, it is sad to see these things split up like this. They get more people with less money to spend in on it to drive the prices up on the indiviual items giving them a higher totle in the end. :crying:

LuftStalg1

Kurt

Just realized that there was a catapiler lot and book/pasport photo lot that I also did not get. :crying: