USMC EGA Stenciled M1 Helmet

I have some photos and paper from a guy that was in the 6th Defense Battalion at Midway, and later in the war a marksmanship instructor at Camp Mathews near San Diego.

The back of this photo is marked "Alvin Hruska". There was a different Hruska in the 6th Defense Battalion, so maybe this was his brother or something.

At any rate, it's the only example I've personally seen of what appears to be a seabag stencil applied to an M1 helmet. - And a nice helmet it is, with what appears to be a 1st pattern Hawley liner (notice liner chinstrap buckle).

Maybe this was a pass-around photo helmet ? - Never having seen them marked as a unit or corps standard, I can't believe that young Hruska could have gotten away wearing this very long without receiving some constructive criticism :)

Best regards to all,

Paul

post-6057-1241930720.jpg

donation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

That's not so rare, as a matter of fact you should see one on eBay within the next week or so. pinch.gif Seriously, this is the first picture I've seen like this with a stenciled EGA, very interesting.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Craig & Bugme,

I had some misgivings about posting the photo...

I'm sure we've all looked at hundreds of photo sources; division & regimental histories, individual photos, snapshots, etc., and this was the first I had seen or heard of an EGA WW2 painted M1.

I agree. Right now somewhere in our great land, there's a dimly lit bathroom with the exhaust fan running, in an attempt to get the Krylon fumes out and before the Mrs. sees the over-spray on the shower curtain.

Later this afternoon, Bubba DaVinci's creation will be a new listing with a hefty Buy-It-Now price. . .

But this photo is a dandy, and I hope it does spark some discussion.

Best regards to all,

Paul

donation2009.gif

That's not so rare, as a matter of fact you should see one on eBay within the next week or so. pinch.gif Seriously, this is the first picture I've seen like this with a stenciled EGA, very interesting.

Hey Bug,

I've been working on the stencil all morning and I should be able to ramp up production for 20 shells per day starting tonight! I do this of course so people who can't afford a real one will still be able to have this rare and historical helmet in their collection. Of course, I will not be marking them as reproductions because any such marking would detract from the overall experience of owning one of these rare and historical helmets.

Additionally, I think we would be perfectly justified in using some of my old stock lead based paint to apply the stencil, I mean, just because it is an, " historical recreation," doesn't mean we have any obligation to avoid future confusion with the, "alledgedly," unique original. Hell, there could be hundreds, maybe even thousands of these rare and historical helmets just waiting to be uncovered in some musty Marine Corp warehouse. Using modern paint without any lead content would detract from the experience of owning one of these rare and historical helmets.

Perhaps I can even find a few excellent condition Inland liners,bore some new holes, convert them to paratrooper configuration, stencil them with the same EGA and, voila! ultra, rare Marine Corp Paratrooper helmets! Sure, we could use some of the millions of damaged Westinghouse liners and re-web them, but that would mean using modern webbing, and as as we all know, that would detract from the experience of owning one of these rare and historical helmets. Shoot, we might as well go for broke and convert a few perfect condition Hawleys while we are at it. There must be at least 10 of them left in the United States, and if you are really careful, you can bore the extra set of holes without causing too much damage, excuse me, think.gif battle damage.

Maybe we should take some more lead based paint and put some names and serial numbers inside the shells. That way, we can further enhance the experience of owning one of these rare and historical helmets. What do you think? The sky is the limit! the variations are endless, large EGA, small EGA, fixed bail, swivel bail, front seam, rear seam, Schlueter, camo, "rigger made," sand finish, sawdust finish, super duper rare Marine Raider Battalion with notches cut into the liner for every Japanese greased................. Get Easy Green on the phone. I have to go take my medication. devil.gif:lol::lol:

Regards, Ken

donation2010.gif
Hey Bug,

I've been working on the stencil all morning...

... Get Easy Green on the phone. I have to go take my medication. devil.gif:lol::lol:

Regards, Ken

Ken, your sarcasm is well noted, funny and unfortunately, full of a lot of truth. My attitude toward unmarked reproductions has changed as we see them graduate into fakes. I'm not talking about the obvious type for reenactors or the sloppy representative fantasy lids but, that ones that are meant to deceive and are used to that end(ie: e_g, luca-1972 and a whole list of other eBay sellers). I also was being somewhat sarcastic when I said there would be a bunch of these on eBay soon. Do you have some meds left? pinch.gif

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Any ideas as to where this pic was taken, on ship or base?

It looks like a studio photo to me. This very well could have been a prop lid used by many soldiers by the studio. Probably on base or one close-by. Notice that nice Hawley liner poking out around the edge.

edit: sorry Ken, saw your post about this after I posted

Could be, looks to be in very good condition for a battle helmet!

If you can read this, thank a teacher, and, since it's in English, thank a soldier.

- Anonymous

Dedicated to the hard core.

Having done photography for professional purposes since the 1970's, I have no doubts that is a posed studio photo. When I was in boot camp at Lackland Air Force bases, there were photo studios in downtown San Antonio where you could get your portrait taken wearing a crusher, flight jacket and white scarf. Throughout the forum we have similar types of photos with studio "props" dating back to the Civil War.

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

By the way:

U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006

about Alvin Hruska

Name: Alvin Hruska

Service Info.: CPL US MARINE CORPS WORLD WAR II, KOREA

Birth Date: 12 Dec 1925

Death Date: 3 May 1988

Service Start Date: 30 Oct 1950

Interment Date: 6 May 1988

Cemetery: Ft. Logan National Cemetery

He was from Lonsdale, MN

donation2017.gif

donation2019.gif

this was on eBay a while ago...went for $103...dunno about originality...

250820075_o.jpg

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

That's something different! Never seen anything quite like it.

Interesting one that Brigg, I think I saw it myself. Should add to what is already an interesting and lively discussion!

Will

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

VIETNAM - CAMOUFLAGE / SF / 'IN-COUNTRY' ITEMS.

By the way:

U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006

about Alvin Hruska

Name: Alvin Hruska

Service Info.: CPL US MARINE CORPS WORLD WAR II, KOREA

Birth Date: 12 Dec 1925

Death Date: 3 May 1988

Service Start Date: 30 Oct 1950

Interment Date: 6 May 1988

Cemetery: Ft. Logan National Cemetery

He was from Lonsdale, MN

Thanks, Admin for the information. I'm going to copy it and keep it with the photo.

Best regards,

Paul

donation2009.gif

I'll bet you a studio photo shot from when he graduated a school. I recall when I graduated ITS in Dec of 1982, being outfitted with an ERDL Jungle pattern covered M-1 pot, and an M-16A1 with the 'guts' removed for my "Official studio portrait". We were 'encouraged' to buy these 'for the folks back home', prior to leaving Camp Geiger. I'd bet this was a similiar situation, with the helmet insignia added, to distinguish the Marines from the 'average joe'. I can't prove any of that, of course, but it makes the most sense.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

After having a double bypass this past year, it's time to downsize and pass along much of my 'stuff'. I've had my fun, now it is someone elses turn.

I'll bet you a studio photo shot from when he graduated a school.

I found this one that was apparently taken right after the guy entered the Air Force in 1951: In the 1960's the studios in downtown San Antone did this exact same pose except they added a crusher cap so all the brand new Airmen E-1 could get a photo making them look like an officer in a WWII bomber crew.

usafportrait.jpg

donation2017.gif

donation2019.gif

• 2 years later...

I am just replying to this post, as the Marine pictured with the EGA stenciled helmet is my Dad, Alvin Hruska. Unfortunately Dad has passed on, so can't find out the origins of the photo. And my Mom, who is still alive, has no recollection of the photo either. The photo was most likely taken in 1943, he was 17 yrs old, and probably fresh out of boot camp. To answer a question from the original post, he was in Midway for a while, however had no brothers, so the other Hruska referenced was no relative. He was additionally stationed in Hawaii, as a Horse Marine, guarding the bombs/ammo that were stored on the beaches of Hawaii.

Additionally, I am really interested in how/where this picture of Dad was found, probably an interesting story............

Thanks for your help,

Ken

I agree. Right now somewhere in our great land, there's a dimly lit bathroom with the exhaust fan running, in an attempt to get the Krylon fumes out and before the Mrs. sees the over-spray on the shower curtain.

Later this afternoon, Bubba DaVinci's creation will be a new listing with a hefty Buy-It-Now price. . .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I am just replying to this post, as the Marine pictured with the EGA stenciled helmet is my Dad, Alvin Hruska. Unfortunately Dad has passed on, so can't find out the origins of the photo. And my Mom, who is still alive, has no recollection of the photo either. The photo was most likely taken in 1943, he was 17 yrs old, and probably fresh out of boot camp. To answer a question from the original post, he was in Midway for a while, however had no brothers, so the other Hruska referenced was no relative. He was additionally stationed in Hawaii, as a Horse Marine, guarding the bombs/ammo that were stored on the beaches of Hawaii.

Additionally, I am really interested in how/where this picture of Dad was found, probably an interesting story............

Thanks for your help,

Ken

Isn't the internet wonderful at times? Maybe Sgt. Boghots has the original photo and you can at least get a copy of it. He also said he had some papers - you might try sending him a direct message and he'll pick it up quicker.

Good luck and I hope you find some info about your father.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Thanks for your help,

Ken

Hello Ken,

Thank you for responding to this thread mate...this is an amazing story. I was wondering if you had seen this photo of your father before now, or is this the first time ?

I once found an original image of my Great Grandfather during WW1 in a close friends antique shop...he kindly gave that image to me...magic happens :thumbsup:

Kind regards and welcome to the forum

Sean

OIF 04-05 AUSSIE VET

20 years experience in BUYING and SELLING Militaria

Collecting and Researching ALL THINGS 1st and 2nd MARDIV '39 -'45

1st MARDIV activity in Australia post Guadalcanal and Australian Manufacturers contracted to supply clothing and equipment for the refit.

2nd MARDIV involvement on Guadalcanal and 'Bloody' Tarawa

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I bet at some point your Dad exchanged pictures with one of his buddies is my guess!...im sure each guy had a bunch of these made to send home to loved ones and exchange with friends.......mike :thumbsup:

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif