just picked up 2nd pattern Navy flight surgeon wing

Navy Dan

Hi everyone,

I just picked up this Navy flight surgeon wing made by LGB 1/20 10 KGF. Opinions welcomed I know from my book they where changed in 1953?

Thanks Dan

post-2552-1241909546.jpg

post-2552-1241909554.jpg

John Cooper

I agree with Paul on this... pre 1-B IOH code. Not exactly sure when Balfour was assigned that code offically... as you know there is a range of dates depending on who you talk to when the 2 digit codes came to be. I am sure there was some lag time before they required it.

John

I agree with Paul on this... pre 1-B IOH code. Not exactly sure when Balfour was assigned that code offically... as you know there is a rage of dates depending on who you talk to when the 2 digit codes came to be. I am sure there was some lag time before they required it.

John

Thanks John and Paul,

I was impressed with the wings and felt that they are early. I had a discrepancy with the person I got them from .I told him that they changed the pattern in 1953 and he said it was back in 47 because Balfor stopped using pin backs then and only used clutch..

Would I be correct in thinking that they used up what stock they had left over before changing to standard clutch back?

Dan

Thanks John and Paul,

I was impressed with the wings and felt that they are early. I had a discrepancy with the person I got them from .I told him that they changed the pattern in 1953 and he said it was back in 47 because Balfor stopped using pin backs then and only used clutch..

Would I be correct in thinking that they used up what stock they had left over before changing to standard clutch back?

Dan

it is my opinion that they used existing stock until exhausted i have a Balfour sub badge marked 1-B and also marked B-21 it seems when the code was changed by TIOH Balfour added the new code so they could sell off the insignia they had already produced brian

John Cooper

Dan,

I think you are correct in that it is common sense that you use up existing stock as long as there was no reg that said you could not. I have two full size Navy FS wings of the same pattern.

One is minty fresh and is a pin back while the other is a clutch back with the longer pins you would expect in the early 50s. Both wings are marked the same without the IOH code 1-B. I also have a minty mini pin back Navy FS which has the 1-B code. I would like to find one (maybe someone here can post an example) of the Navy FS wing with the 1-B code to see what differences there are...

Additionaly I think finding some dated photos or some graduation books that may help lock down the year when the pattern change happened. Myabe some nay collectors will be able to assist here..?

@ Brian e - can you post a photo of the makers marks for your sub badge... I would like to see how it was marked.

Thanks

John

Hi John heres a pic of the balfour sub badge it has a horrible gob of solder on one of the post's repairing it brian

post-2718-1242000384.jpg

Heres all three of them top one is marked LGB STERLING on bottom right it is 1/4 inch longer than the other badges.

Middle one is marked the same on the right but marked BALFOUR STERLING 1-B on the left.

Bottom one is BALFOUR 1/20 10K GF 1-B on right and B21N on left.

brian

post-2718-1242000525.jpg

John Cooper
Hi John heres a pic of the balfour sub badge it has a horrible gob of solder on one of the post's repairing it brian

Brian does it look like it was added to the badge at a later time it is was made with just the 1-B then which the 3 digit code started they took them to the bench and added it prior to selling it? Maybe check the oppsite side to see if there is any evidence there.

John